Axe-Fx Standard not powering on - blown capacitor replacement?

musicianof1

Inspired
I've had my Axe Fx for nearly a decade and has been super reliable. Last week it stopped powering up and on flashed a blank green lit lcd sceen- no fan noise, nothing else powering up like it normally would. I thought maybe the battery finally died so I replaced it. Didn't make a difference but when I went to screw the top back on the unit, I heard something rolling around inside. Turns out it was a loose capacitor that had apparently blown off. I have a video of how it acts when trying to power up and a photo of where the capacitor once was. I would like to find a replacement for what looks like a 100 CFK 9B6? I can't seem to find a match for that part number though. I'd like to find out where to buy some replacements and replace that capacitor. Paying for shipping/insurance both ways plus labor doesn't seem worth doing with the price these go for now so I'd like to do either myself or be able to tell someone what to do to fix it if at all possible. Any insights are appreciated to solve this.

IMG_4326.JPG

Here is video of power on attempt- (click the arrow in the upper right corner if play button isn't responding.)

Last edited:
Low ESR one too possibly. I'd drop the Fractal support guys a line and ask them to point you out where to find replacements.

It might just be the light but the cap to the right below your circle looks to be a bit bulging too? Perhaps get a few of them

Status update- Sent my unit to Fractal. There were multiple blown caps AND the dsp processor was blown! I have no idea how that could have happened just sitting in a studio rack but I guess anything is possible. It had never let me down in the 10 years of owning/using it, so I decided after a lot of thought to have it repaired. It cost almost as much as buying another one used but I figure it will be just about as close to new as can be and I am pretty attached to some of the sounds that the older units have. So there it is.

Back
Top Bottom