Axe-Fx Standard Firmware 7.17 Released

mrgodin said:
Thanks Gary (riffy) for understanding me ;-)

I'm very often reading the whole message board up and down.
I's great; so much people, talking about this fine thing called Axe.
I make music for a very long time, and nevertheless every few days or weeks, I learn new things handle
the problem, getting/construct the right sound.
There are always a lot of different positons, to look at the same thing ;-)

But from time to time, I am really disappointed about the writing-style of some people.
A kind of agression and irreverently kind of talking (in german we say respectless) is there sometimes.
And that's not a good base for communication and exchange of opinions I think.

That's, what I wanted to say last night (I did it in a longer way; sorry ;-)

Very nice forum and a lot of competently people!

Best regards to all!
Mike
Hey there Mike... you have to understand that as musicians we are all kids (at heart)... and as such we always have dynamic personalities. Luckily some of our wives (or significant) others understand us enough to put up with our musical (bedroom) "careers"... What I'm trying to say is that if you've ever been in a band (which I'm sure you have) you would understand that you have to be able to take "hits" as much as you dish them out... you also have to be able to let things "slide" and not take everything to heart as much. My best description of being in a band is like having 4 girlfriends who you have to keep happy... that's why I call them my bitches! :D

U93ivddvBj49ce5tNXyZWNfEo1_500.gif

I installed 7.17 and checked my patches. I did not notice that much of a difference. I usually had to dial back the PRESENCE a bit and adjust the new DEPTH to taste and that was it. The new Presence and Depth controls seem to widen the possible frequency range of the Axe-Fx, which is a good thing.
I didn't like what I got from the DEEP control anyway, therefore I welcome the new DEPTH thing. I am not sure about the AIR control, when changing it's mix or frequency value, things sound just a bit different. Not worse or better, just different. So we have another control to finetune our sounds.
I don't need any "as it used to be" switches.

I'm interested in this one for the Ultra when it hits. I've often thought to myself that I wished the Depth and Presence controls were more amp-like. I liked what I heard in Clawfinger's clips.

:)
Hey Mike
I'm on the waiting list for my Axe via G66 so I've been also reading pretty much every post and learning lots. It seems also clear that there are 2 types of people on the forum, no correction 3 types ........ type 1 (most forum users) - appreciate that they have an amazing piece of kit and appreciate that the guy who wrote (and continues to update) the software does so because IMHO he loves music and what a guitar can do in the right hands. Also, having observed the number of updates on the software over the last couple of months he probably doesn't sleep much.
type 2 - Just ungratefull SOB's
type 3 - probably just deaf

I think the forum is brilliant and the depth of knowledge of the users is obviously phenomenal and what makes it really great is that this knowledge is freely and enthusiastically shared.
I agree with the comment "respect" it's a good word, not only in German. I'd like to see any of the people who don't seem too respectfull sit down and write all that programme code and get it even remotely close.
Rant over, back to practice.
Cheers und Aufweidersein
Graeme

-<MACHINE>- said:
However...[quote="Dave Mustaine":1h3d7x43]It appalls me. If you have two guitar players and one of them doesn't solo,
something is very wrong. Most guy's who don't play solos can't play solos. I've
heard that on Slipknot's new record they bust out the chops. We've heard they
always had, and I'm really glad for that, because we're bringing up a whole
generation of kids who think all you have to do is detune, bang away and have
your pants halfway down to your ass. That doesn't make you a guitar playerr:
it makes you a dork. Play that sucker, and don't be afraid to solo, no matter
what it sounds like. Everybody has to start some place.

The last two sentences are nice justifiers, but man I really practice to be able to do solo's. And if you've seen the goof/spoof youtube videos of JP, Yngwie etc...that honestly is miles better then I can do. Dave thinks I should display that to the world... :?: :lol: or I'm a dork :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think so...I'll stick to my D Standard tuned heavy riffs...that I can play pretty good...that DOES make me a guitar player.[/quote:1h3d7x43]

I wouldn't get too upset about it. Mustaine evidently hasn't moved on from the 80s yet. Solos aren't a necessity. If you're cramming solos in to songs, regardless of whether the song needs one or not, that's when something is "very wrong".

My band stuff often has solos in it, but funnily enough the solo stuff I work on rarely does. :?

Although I don't have any issue on what the modifications does to my presets, I went back to 7.16. Too many of my presets are now above excessive CPU range, and I don't have time to alter all of them before my next gig, which is tomorrow. Cliff, are some CPU optimisations scheduled for next firmware ?

fremen said:
Although I don't have any issue on what the modifications does to my presets, I went back to 7.16. Too many of my presets are now above excessive CPU range, and I don't have time to alter all of them before my next gig, which is tomorrow. Cliff, are some CPU optimisations scheduled for next firmware ?

i had not time to install 7.17 (i`m on 7.16) - is the cpu load with 7.17 really that much more?

jamesie said:
fremen said:

i had not time to install 7.17 (i`m on 7.16) - is the cpu load with 7.17 really that much more?
I think it is... When I updated to 7.16, with the bigger CPU consumption from the noise gate, only one of my presets was unusable, and all I had to do to be able to use it again was to turn off the gate (it was a clean patch so it wasn't a problem)
Now with 7.17, I tested half of the 40 or so presets I use live with my cover band, and 4/5 of them had this CPU warning thingy. Even replacing a Parametric EQ by a shunt and shutting off the noise gate wasn't enough one one of them. So I went back to 7.16. I will test 7.17 again after my next gig, right now I don't have the time to alter all my presets. I suppose that using mono low res instead of hi res in the cabinet will be enough. But I really hope for more CPU consumption improvements, like in some previous firmwares ;)

fremen said:
jamesie said:
fremen said:

I think it is... When I updated to 7.16, with the bigger CPU consumption from the noise gate, only one of my presets was unusable, and all I had to do to be able to use it again was to turn off the gate (it was a clean patch so it wasn't a problem)
Now with 7.17, I tested half of the 40 or so presets I use live with my cover band, and 4/5 of them had this CPU warning thingy. Even replacing a Parametric EQ by a shunt and shutting off the noise gate wasn't enough one one of them. So I went back to 7.16. I will test 7.17 again after my next gig, right now I don't have the time to alter all my presets. I suppose that using mono low res instead of hi res in the cabinet will be enough. But I really hope for more CPU consumption improvements, like in some previous firmwares ;)

thanx, i think i wait for the next firmware update - with noisegate off and less eq i can live, but with lo res cabs i would say no

Back
Top Bottom