Axe-Fx Standard Firmware 7.17 Released

That's a first in a long time...Standard firmware first :shock: !

Now go testing, Standard users and report back what the new parameters do ;)

Thanks as always, Cliff !

I sure hope there's not gonna be any trouble with a certain other company being known for AIR.

What made you choose that term, Cliff ? I automatically assumed it would add some sort of room...

VegaBaby said:
I sure hope there's not gonna be any trouble with a certain other company being known for AIR.

What made you choose that term, Cliff ? I automatically assumed it would add some sort of room...
That was different. It was *not* "air", but rather A.I.R. which stood for Acoustically Integrated Recording. If Cliff had used A.I.R., you might ask the question, but this is clearly unrelated.
Daniel

Dpoirier said:
VegaBaby said:

That was different. It was *not* "air", but rather A.I.R. which stood for Acoustically Integrated Recording. If Cliff had used A.I.R., you might ask the question, but this is clearly unrelated.
Daniel
I'm well aware of that, but I've worked for some of the big boys and saw them take totally stupid things to court for no other reason than to harm the competition...

Added “Air” parameter to cabinet block. This control modifies the impulse response to provide a more present sound and gives more bite and body to the tone. The effect is most noticable when using high gain. The “Air Freq” parameter determines the critical frequency of the Air effect. Experiment with both controls to determine the best settings.

Interesting...

:D

FractalAudio said:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/Version7_00/axefx7_17.zip

This is for the standard NOT the Ultra.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!? Now I gotta go buy a Standard to get the firmware's first now? :D

I'm really not liking the changes to the amp block right now, I'm sorry to say. :cry:

My main tone was PERFECT before, and now it's a muddy, bassy mess that I can't seem to get sorted out. I can't get it to sound near as good as it did before no matter the tweaking. The new version of the Depth control in the main culprit here. I loved the controllable Deep control, it was in integral part of my tone, but the new Depth control sounds nothing like it to me and seems to put a blanket over the sound even when it's set to 0.00. This just seems like a big regression to me.

I'll start trying again tomorrow with fresh ears and will hopefully get my tone back eventually and print a retraction to my posting my frustrations right now. If not, I will have no choice but to go back to 7.16 and say goodbye to the updates. I know that might seem kind of over the top, but I had my dream tone coming out of this thing and now it's gone.

shredi knight said:
I'm really not liking the changes to the amp block right now, I'm sorry to say. :cry:

My main tone was PERFECT before, and now it's a muddy, bassy mess that I can't seem to get sorted out. I can't get it to sound near as good as it did before no matter the tweaking. The new version of the Depth control in the main culprit here. I loved the controllable Deep control, it was in integral part of my tone, but the new Depth control sounds nothing like it to me and seems to put a blanket over the sound even when it's set to 0.00. This just seems like a big regression to me.

I'll start trying again tomorrow with fresh ears and will hopefully get my tone back eventually and print a retraction to my posting my frustrations right now. If not, I will have no choice but to go back to 7.16 and say goodbye to the updates. I know that might seem kind of over the top, but I had my dream tone coming out of this thing and now it's gone.
Could you post a clip ? 'Blanket' doesn't sound good...

Looking at the release notes this looks like damn good upgrade. I'm still on 7.06 as I am pretty happy with my tones right now but I think I may just have to do go to theis one.... That is when the Ultra version comes out :)

Thanks Cliff!

VegaBaby said:

I just got done playing around with it some more. I think my ears were tired before, it didn't really sound like there a was a blanket over the tone this time. I really don't like it though. My patches just don't sound as organic now. The low end the Depth control adds just doesn't sound as warm as the Deep control did. It's really overkill too. I had the Deep control set at 6:57 on my main tone patch. The equivalent on the Depth control seems to be around only 1:16. You turn the Depth up much at all and it's bass city.

Of course, I only basing this on a few patches (all are Mesa Mark series type tones using the "USA" amp sims), so don't get worried about my experience. If you liked using the Deep control though and have it turned up on any of your patches, they are probably going to sound very different (and not for the better IMHO).

shredi knight said:
VegaBaby said:

I just got done playing around with it some more. I think my ears were tired before, it didn't really sound like there a was a blanket over the tone this time. I really don't like it though. My patches just don't sound as organic now. The low end the Depth control adds just doesn't sound as warm as the Deep control did. It's really overkill too. I had the Deep control set at 6:57 on my main tone patch. The equivalent on the Depth control seems to be around only 1:16. You turn the Depth up much at all and it's bass city.

Of course, I only basing this on a few patches (all are Mesa Mark series type tones using the "USA" amp sims), so don't get worried about my experience. If you liked using the Deep control though and have it turned up on any of your patches, they are probably going to sound very different (and not for the better IMHO).

+1

shredi knight said:
VegaBaby said:

I can't test it yet since I'm 'Ultra'. Never used deep much, maybe a tiny bit here and there... Basically I was just curious since your impression didn't sound good at all and by now with each update there's also always a little bit of fear that the sounds one has become used to are screwed. I think it's so far down the line now that most people are closer to having found their tones and starting all over again is not such a good option...

I'd like to take a look (or listen) to this version. I'll hold off though. The release notes say a bit of tweaking may be required on some patches.
Not a big deal normally, but at the moment I can't do a backup, advisable i think?? as I can't get the old editor to work with my midi device, and the new one (Which does work just fine) is not the full working version yet. Or am I missing something...... :?:

craiguitar said:
I'd like to take a look (or listen) to this version. I'll hold off though. The release notes say a bit of tweaking may be required on some patches.
Not a big deal normally, but at the moment I can't do a backup, advisable i think?? as I can't get the old editor to work with my midi device, and the new one (Which does work just fine) is not the full working version yet. Or am I missing something...... :?:

I would advice you to first take a backup of your presets

Try http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/beta/SendSX130beta3.exe

It's a simple sysex recorder/player that's very easy to use. I use it all the time

Thanks Voes,
I will give that a shot.
Having full backup done before a major tweaking session ;) it's got to be rule no 1 i think....

Back
Top Bottom