Axe Fx Standard as a Noise Gate

Masterwrk

I have an Axe Fx Standard in my rack unit not being used for my Synergy Module Amps. Is it possible to just set the Axe Fx as a noise gate for the Synergy amps FX loop?

Yes, and it will work awesome for that.

If you wanted to maximize the utility of the gate, it may be best to run the axe / synergy in 4CM, with the synergy in the ‘loop’ of the axefx. That way you can set the gate’s sidechain to your clean, undistorted input.

Would I power the AxeFX opposed to powering the Synergy since the Synergy will be going into the fxloops of the AxeFX?

Both would still need power to operate
By power I mean power amp. I would use the poweramp for the Synergy as that is the main amp and run the AxeFx as the FX Loop effect processor OR vice versa Run the Poweramp to the AxeFX and have the Synergy as the fx loop but I’m not sure if it would affect the Synergy’s tone. Would I use a clean tone on the AxeFX with the Noise Gate?

If you are only going to use the axe-fx as a noise gate your preset would not contain any amp blocks and so power amp simulation from the axe fx would not be part of the equation at all. You would only use a gate/exp, and fx loop block.

First, press the I/O button on your axefx. Set input source to analog front. Set input 1 & 2 select to Left only.

Set up a patch with shunts from input to output. Place an effects loop block on the shunts, and a noise gate block to the right of the effects loop block.

On the noise gate block, set up your desired settings on pg1, and on pg2 set ‘scsel’ to ‘input 1’.

Connect an instrument cable from Axefx output 2 Left to the front input of your synergy amp.

Connect another instrument cable from the synergy fx loop send to AxeFx input 2 Left.

Connect yet another instrument cable from the AxeFx output 1 Left to the synergy fx loop return.

Plug your guitar into the front of the axe fx.

Set input 1 knob for your guitar, and use the bypass button on the front of the axe fx while adjusting the other three knobs, so that your tone remains intact with the axefx bypassed.

Input2 will effect the level coming back to the axefx from the synergy

Output1 will effect the steady state dry signal going to the synergy’s power amp

Output2 will effect the level of signal going to the front of the synergy.

Play around. You will get the hang of it.

I suggest you find a tutorial on setting up an axefx for 4CM, or find the section of the manual that covers using the Axefx this way. That will hopefully give you a better idea of what you’re trying to achieve.

You have been extremely helpful. Thank you for the step by step! This will definitely help me. Thanks again for your time!

Back
Top Bottom