axe fx sounds muddy

i just bought a axe fx ii xl + and i hook it up and its sounds muddy. when i hear videos on the internet of the same patch they sounds much clearer and more defined. any advice would be appreciated.

I had the same issue. Then I found that I had amp modeling off in the global settings. Bingo. Make sure it's on!

Lower the bass controls almost all the way down, 1 or below and engage the bass cut switch. I do that on all of my patches. Honestly, I kind of wonder why amps even have a bass control on them because on every amp I have ever played through(real or modeled), I have to cut the bass almost completely out to get a decent tight distorted tone. Anyone know why this is the case? Seems strange to me that there even is a bass control since it seems you have to cut the crap out of it to get a decent tone...

Just had to say something here - even though it was ages ago in the thread. Im the opposite, I seem to run bass quite high on most amps - real and models. The bass control is there because every guitar is different, and everyones idea of good tone is different.

Just had to say something here - even though it was ages ago in the thread. Im the opposite, I seem to run bass quite high on most amps - real and models. The bass control is there because every guitar is different, and everyones idea of good tone is different.
it really depends on the specific amp model.

it really depends on the specific amp model.
That as well.

To the OP - I know this has been gone through - but the first thing I noticed when I looked at the patch was the very high master.

I too lowered it to 3, then cut the mids a little, upped the presence a little, and also the gain and patch level to compensate. Not really my tone, but it was much much better, both via my monitors (Adam A5xs) and with cab sims off via my power station and zilla 2x12 cab. I needed a little more bottom end - and thought the OPs done on his valve king had no bottom end at all - but thats just me. Im not a high gai player by and large - so what I like and what the OP likes/wants will be different. the master vol was definitely the major culprit though. Everything else is just EQ to taste and set-up.

I had a set of Rockit 6's. Every time I made a preset using those, they sounded horrible with my headphones and vice versa. To me those monitors are too scooped and boomy for critical listening. I ended up selling them and just started using headphones for monitoring.
What are your thoughts on JBL LSR-305's?

What are your thoughts on JBL LSR-305's?

Honestly, I've never really listened to them or used them. I don't have a dedicated room for monitoring anymore, so I either use my Mesa 4x12 cab, ATH-M50 headphones, or Focal Spirit Pro headphones. I hear very good things about them though, especially for their price point.

Honestly, I've never really listened to them or used them. I don't have a dedicated room for monitoring anymore, so I either use my Mesa 4x12 cab, ATH-M50 headphones, or Focal Spirit Pro headphones. I hear very good things about them though, especially for their price point.
Just thought i'd ask, I have a pair that I recently got, and was wondering what people's opinions were on them...

Back
Top Bottom