axe fx sounds muddy

i just bought a axe fx ii xl + and i hook it up and its sounds muddy. when i hear videos on the internet of the same patch they sounds much clearer and more defined. any advice would be appreciated.

What tones are you loading up. The axe fx is extremely responsive to pickups in my opinion to the point that using other people's patches are almost useless unless your using the same setup all round. (Was having so much fun last night with the volume knob on my guitar)

What tones are you loading up. The axe fx is extremely responsive to pickups in my opinion to the point that using other people's patches are almost useless unless your using the same setup all round. (Was having so much fun last night with the volume knob on my guitar)
I'll second this...I have 1 guitar with EMG's and though it sounds great through other rigs it sounds horrible in my AF2.

at first i was trying out factory patches like the usa lead friedman hbe. they didnt impress me so i looked up a misha mansoor patch and same thing. i tried turning up the trebble presence and STILL sounded dull. i dont get it. is there a problem with the version of fireware that came from fractal?

inputlevels ok?
gain stages set up properly?

i also use krk true external soundcard and i always do some minor tweaking. but i always get nice sounds and tones. but i second that presets (either stock or from exchange will almost never sound same as the recordings without tweaks). but when i tweak myselve i get the sounds i want without mastering in DAW.

so if everything is set up properly (check forum, wiki, you tube and manual) you have to do some minor tweakings and find an IR you like.

IRs (choosing correct cab and mic) are very important as the krk is frfr and will NOT be like amp in the room sound!! But when you find an ir you like and do some tweaking you definitely should find some sound you dig and like!

i just bought a axe fx ii xl + and i hook it up and its sounds muddy. when i hear videos on the internet of the same patch they sounds much clearer and more defined. any advice would be appreciated.
Did you buy new or second hand? Reason I ask if second hand is in case the global EQ has been changed

Any chance your interface is sampling at 44.1k? The axe runs at 48k, and I've noticed I seem to lose a lot of top end if my interface is sampling at 44.1k, so try switching to 48

Is this the first modeler you've used through this setup? Because hearing something online doesn't really mean anything when it comes to you playing in your setup at your volumes. If you can't dial in anything on the Axe FX that's not muddy, then that's a problem. But if it's just an issue of factory presets and downloaded presets not working for you, then *shrug*.
-
Austin

i set the sample rate to 48k no difference and yes this is the first modeler iv used. i dont get it just seems like somthing is wrong. i reinstalled the firmware and reset the global settings and still sounds muffled. i even ran it through my peavey valve king head and still didnt sound right. i hear everyong on youtube have these tight crispy tones and i cant seem to get it. if i play tough my ts808 into my peavey i get great tone same with my jvm.

t
i set the sample rate to 48k no difference and yes this is the first modeler iv used. i dont get it just seems like somthing is wrong. i reinstalled the firmware and reset the global settings and still sounds muffled. i even ran it through my peavey valve king head and still didnt sound right. i hear everyong on youtube have these tight crispy tones and i cant seem to get it. if i play tough my ts808 into my peavey i get great tone same with my jvm.
the crisp high fidelity tones on you tube are mostly with crips IRs and mics settings with guitar balanced in the mix OR are EQed or produced in the DAW to sound crisp.

most recordings (also studio recordings) the guitar sounds different and completely way pasted normal guitar sound as the are made too sound good in the mix.

which recordings do you refer too as trying to get same sound and crispy tone?

Back
Top Bottom