Axe FX sounds better after a few minutes?

Sure, after a cup of coffee with Linzer Torte. :)
Having a cup of (decaf) coffee and some Lotus Biscoff cookies right now, thanks to reading this. Thinking about maybe trying to find a bakery that can make a proper malakofftorte for my birthday now, too. Dr. Freud would blame it on Pavlov, I think....

I've also noticed what I perceive to be subtle changes in tone while playing some times better, sometimes worse, or different from day to day. I put it down to where my ears are at that day/time. I also think I may tend to focus on different tonal aspects depending on my mood or whatever - so I may sit down to play and start thinking randomly about sizzle, or chime, or oomph, or whatever and my mind starts evaluating that as great or good or not good or whatever. 5 minutes later I may be thinking about other aspects so my perception of the tone could then be different.

It's ionizing the room over time, and when that is accomplished soundwaves engage with the negatively charged
particles due to ionization and therefore engage with your auditory system in an impactful way. :)
Useful side benefit: the negative ions attach to the dust in the air and make it sink to the surface beneath it....

I will get my Axe-FxIII sounding great at the rehearsal room and later that night go home and tweak my FM3 for a couple of hours and the next day go to the rehearsal room and my Axe-FxIII will sound terrible. I assume my ears are messing with my perception somehow.

At a sufficiently high SPL, the rattling of the walls and windows activates particles of dust in the air which filter harsh frequencies and attenuate standing waves and resonant frequencies. You just have to play loud enough and long enough for your body to generate enough endorphins to perceive it, and for the neurons that find it unpleasant to be soporofied, and for BS explanations like this to seem reasonable. :smirk:

I feel this way as well. I've always chalked it up to playing real amps and then going back to the Axe. Just takes my ears a few moments to understand again.

I am absolutely convinced this is psychosomatic but:

For some reason the axe fx seems to have more gain and sounds feel more fluid and saturated after a few minutes. Almost like tube warming has been modelled. Which doesnt sound like something that would have been done.

Just to double check that it's all in my mind and more to do with readjusting my playing to it which I am more than certain it is, has anyone else noticed this?
I actually noticed this myself. It seems like the tone and volume change slightly when I have the Axe-Fx running and then boot up the Axe-Edit program. It's a very subtle change so most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

I would suggest this is akin to IR surfing. Spinning through cab sims, the resonances become all you hear.

Your ear adjusts after a few minutes. If you give it time.

Also why we love songs we know well.

It's digital. Remember, it's basically the same as your computer, tablet or phone.

They work the same in a second as they do after a minute and after an hour. Algorithms don't change, and Fractal isn't writing into the code something that makes the sound change over the first n seconds after starting up, just like Apple and Microsoft and Linux are not in their operating systems.

Yeah, there's a bit of code that affects the note's onset and its decay, but that's an entirely different thing.
I am a DSP/ Software engineer. I understand that its digital. The changes could have been modelled. Although if they had been it would only serve to be an annoyance to people because part of the appeal is the instant on and reliable callback of specific sounds.

It does have internal preamps though I doubt that they are having that effect. It is a really strange psychosomatic effect though because I feel its measurable in how it effects my playing. I may record it one day.

I think its in fact to do with familiarity because the effect lingers.

Back
Top Bottom