Axe-Fx "Snapshot" feature

jimfist

Fractal Fanatic
I guess this is a lot like the Snapshot feature in Axe-Edit, except with the ability to implement it into the Axe-Fx hardware. It would be cool IMO if the Axe-Fx hardware allowed for, say, 4 "Snapshots" (parameter state recalls) within each preset, each of which could be recalled by assigning CC#s (just as all of the effect Blocks have assignable CC#s). This would allow you to tweak some of the current parameters that are not currently controllable via the "controller/modifier" scheme, such as Amp bass/mid/treble/presence parameters (very useful).

Many will say, obviously, that you can do this just by changing presets, which is true, but the ability to recall parameter states WITHIN a preset does have some value which IMO would help users exploit the Axe-Fx capabilities to entirely new levels, and help do away with some of the "work arounds" (adding Para EQ blocks, for example, to tweak EQ, when really what you'd like to do is just tweak the AMP's EQ, right?)

This would be essentially the same idea as - dare I mention this here? - Guitar Rig 3 software had available before removing the feature in Guitar Rig 4. Some of you on this forum may recognize my screen handle from the Guitar Rig forum, where I have voiced much displeasure over this omission. (Since purchasing my Ultra, I have essentially had almost no use for Guitar Rig software, and I'm kind of ashamed that I even bothered with Guitar Rig when the answer to my problems was HERE the whole time).

Anyhoo, if anyone would like a more detailed description of how this Snapshot feature was implemented (and IMO it was one of the the things Guitar Rig actually did RIGHT), I can fill you in, but it might make for a pretty long post here.

Last edited:
no takers? Bad idea to begin with? Impossible to implement? Not interested in the idea? Unclear on the idea?

nada? zilch? zero? nothing?

:?:

yes, that is always high on the list for any wishlist item, and I am certainly not qualified to comment on what or where the problem in implementing a "Snapshot" feature would come. I would only guess that this type of process would present less strain on the processor than the use of multiple controllers/modifiers (and extra EQ/Filter blocks, etc.) to perform the same type of task.

(and thank you voes for the response)

So, the differences beetween memory and memory (beetween presets and X/Y or snapshots) become blurred.... If i think this to the end.... we can drop presets completely and managed all different combinations of everything in one BIG preset with the advantage that everything is external controllable and the disadvantage of clear view whats goin on? ...

So, the differences beetween memory and memory (beetween presets and X/Y or snapshots) become blurred.... If i think this to the end.... we can drop presets completely and managed all different combinations of everything in one BIG preset with the advantage that everything is external controllable and the disadvantage of clear view whats goin on? ...

The idea is that you have enough memory to "house" as many effect block instances as you would need for any given preset, and then you simply tweak the parameters and save that "snapshot scene" to a control switch. The more "snapshot scenes" you have, the more you can do within a preset without having to "leave" the preset. Thus there is no "loading/dumping" when you change "snapshot scenes". This is a far more efficient use of effects blocks and memory IMO. The Snapshots become "presets within presets" which change immediately with almost no discernible audio "dropout" since no blocks are unloading or loading (only their parameter settings) - they are only changing parameter values, unlike the behavior of Preset changes which "load and unload", even when the same block layout on the grid is being used.

The Axe II has dipped its big toe in the water with 2 simple X/Y "parameter states". Personally, I think 4 (W, X, Y, Z) is about as many as any user would need for any song. Again, very flexible, economical, and intuitive.

yep, ... blowing up the X/Y states would be really cool .... but i think the advantage is that visible ...and cliff limited to 2 states on (just) 8 blocks (but really the most important IMO). Looks like a design limitation? What brings me to another question: Why this fixing of block instances? i questioned that to me since i fired up my standard for the first time .... software based system like Guitar rig don`t know that ..... its just limited by the horse power of the cpu. The use can decide wether he wants 20 instances of the same bloxk or 20 different ... i`m shure, it have to be as it is, but why?

yeah, the Guitar Rig Snapshot idea is cool, and IMO is would be just another creative routing option for a system like the Axe-Fx. I don't have the technical knowledge to understand the reasons or limitations in implementing such a scheme with the Axe-Fx, but I do think that it would be a very powerful option to have up to 4 "snapshot scenes" available. Axe II has two (X,Y), and perhaps if the user response is good then they'll increase this to four.

As for Guitar Rig, all of the processing horsepower comes from the host computer. But there must be a good reason why the Axe-Fx cannot operate this way - maybe it has to do with the simulation algorithms for the amps and cabinets need for speed and space - but IMO Guitar Rig just doesn't sound very good for a lot of simulations compared to Axe-Fx. Not even close, really.

Guitar Rig 3 software had this Snapshot feature which worked GREAT from a practical standpoint, b/c you could put 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. different amps and cabinets in a preset along with a whole bunch of other processors, modifiers, and whatever you wanted until your CPU got full (mine NEVER came close), and then just set up the sound you wanted and save it as a Snapshot on the footpedal switch. And so on for each different sound. This solved all of the problems for "spillover" effects and preset change dropout from "loading/dumping" of effects module "blocks", as everything was available in this huge virtual "mega rig". And ALL PARAMETERS are available for control assignment. The other bonus was that modules that were in "bypass" mode were not actually eating up any processor power until they were "active", so the limits of CPU power were never really in question. Guitar Rig 3 evolved into its current version and they removed the Snapshot function in favor of 8 assignable "controllers", kind of like what the Axe-Fx has.

Having a GUI to view all of this stuff on a computer really helped to program this, and that is where the Axe-Edit would be an essential tool for keeping all of these "snapshots" in order. Yes, the "unlimited warehouse" of effects blocks are a real strength for software like Amplitube and Guitar Rig, but sonically it is no contest: Axe-Fx wins by a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom