Axe FX -> Scarlett 2i2 -> KRK Not Hearing Stereo

NJM81

Does anyone know why I'm not hearing my Axe FX 2 XL in stereo through my audio interface (Scarlett 2i2 and active speaker (KRK RP4) rig?

My setup is as follows:

Guitar -> axe front input (using regular mono guitar cable)
Axe Out 1 Left ----> Scarlett 2i2 input 1 (set to line level using regular mono cable)
Axe Out 1 Right ----> Scarlett 2i2 input 2 (set to line level using regular mono cable)
Line output 1 left (trs) of Scarlett 2i2 ----> Krk rp4 left input (xlr)
Line output 2 right (trs) of Scarlett 2i2 ----> Krk rp4 right input (xlr)

Axe FX 2 XL is configured to stereo which I can her through headphones when plugged into the axe headphone jack but I'm only hearing mono out the speakers via the Scarlett 2i2?

The Scarlett 2i2 is connected to and powered by my Mac mini.

This is the most common interface question.

The 2i2 inputs are not stereo. They are both mono and cannot be panned.

Thanks for your reply. I've just discovered I can hear in stereo when I monitor through Logic Pro X. Strange this doesn't work in GarageBand as well unless there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.

Do you know of any good quality interfaces at a similar price point which offers stereo inputs so I can monitor direct?

Thanks for your reply. I've just discovered I can hear in stereo when I monitor through Logic Pro X. Strange this doesn't work in GarageBand as well unless there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.
that means Logic is set up so the Tracks/Signals are panned when you monitor from Logic.

that means Logic is set up so the Tracks/Signals are panned when you monitor from Logic.
Is this my best option of recording the axe into a DAW or is there an alternative configuration which works better? Perhaps axe USB direct to Mac and axe outputs direct to monitors?

Any suggestions welcome on best approach to monitoring and capturing the axe fx in stereo. Thanks

Hardware monitoring is the best in any situation usually.

Many people successfully use the Axe USB for recording.

I prefer to use an interface. I think the 2i2 is one of the few that can't use its 2 inputs in stereo. I don't know what's available these days so I can't suggest too many, though I personally prefer the Yamaha AG06 for small productions. For larger things I use my x32 rack.

Ok thanks a lot for your help.

Can anyone else offer any further advice about best audio interfaces for the axe fx, especially in regard to hardware monitoring in stereo?

Hardware monitoring is the best in any situation usually.

Many people successfully use the Axe USB for recording.

I prefer to use an interface. I think the 2i2 is one of the few that can't use its 2 inputs in stereo. I don't know what's available these days so I can't suggest too many, though I personally prefer the Yamaha AG06 for small productions. For larger things I use my x32 rack.

Hi Chris, will the Yamaha AG06 allow me to direct monitor the axe fx in stereo then? They seem reasonably priced so just wanted to double check.

I assume the setup would be as below?

Axe fx out 1 left -> AG06 Input 1
Axe fx out 1 right -> AG06 Input 2

AG06 monitor out left -> Left speaker input
AG06 monitor out right -> Right speaker input

AG06 USB to Mac configured as input and output for sound

on the AG06 you see Channel 3 and 4 as a Stereo channel, and that's what you'd plug into. Channel 1 and 2 are mono, with no way to pan them on the hardware. Channel 5 and 6 is also Stereo, but uses RCA jacks. you could use a 1/4" to RCA adaptor or cable, but 3 and 4 are 1/4" and more ready to go.

if you don't need that many mono inputs, there is also an AG03 with a few less features, but basically 1 channel for a Mic and 1 stereo channel for the Axe.

I have the Scarlett 6i6 and initially used the rear left and right input from the Axe (the 2i2 doesn't have the rear inputs). Now I use the SPDIF out from the Axe into the SPDIF of the Scarlett. All then can be adjusted with the Scarlett on-screen mix control. The front inputs can be panned left and right with the Scarlett On-Screen mix control.

I've never had a 2i2 so I'm not sure if the On-Screen Mix Control is bundled with or works with the 2i2. I know it works with the 6i6 and above models of Focusrite.

also.....this is my music room/office/man cave.....so I run the stereo output from my TV into 1 channel of the Scarlett and my computer goes into it with USB....and as I said the AXE goes in with the SPDIF.....so on 3 channels of the on-screen mixer I get AXE on 1...TV on 2....and computer on 3 (actually it defaults to the DAW inputs on the mixer)......so then I have 3 stereo outputs (and could have more)....1 to my stereo monitors.....and 1 each to 2 headphone outputs which I have earbuds in 1 and headphones in the other....all mixed on-screen but controlled by 3 knobs on the front of the Scarlett......I can mix and match AXE and computer for backing tracks.....or listen to TV at night without waking the wife with earbuds......listen to Youtube or whatever with earbuds or headphones.....or any of that can go to my monitors.......just a perfect setup for me and my situation here.......

I picked up the Yamaha AG06 and it works great, thanks so much for the advice! It does all I wanted and more. The 2i2 doesn't have SPDIF I don't believe.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha AG06 is compatible with Pro Tools?

I have this problem too:

With my monitors plugged directly into the Axe's Outs 1+2 via regular 1/4 inch instrument cable, I can play in stereo.
With my Axe's Outs 1+2 --> Focusrite 2i2 input 1+2 --> Focusrite Outs 1+2 --> monitors, I cannot play stereo.

Reading above, looks like the 2i2 doesn't do stereo monitoring. For regular tracking that shouldn't be a big deal, I just double track and pan each track 100% left and right? Is there anyway at all to get stereo monitoring / playback through ProTools? If I track a solo piece and want stereo delay, how do I do this with the Axe's delays if the Focusrite is making me run mono? Or do I have to do it with ProTools delays, and if so, how? Do I have to copy + paste the solo track and put a delay on it or something? I'd rather use the Axe's delays if possible since they sound so good. Sorry for my noobness, recording is new to me.

The worst thing for me will be that I won't be able to play stereo when I'm just jamming, unless I unplug my monitors from the Focusrite and put them into the back of the Axe every time I play, which can get repetitive. Is the 2i4 the same as the 2i2, or does it allow stereo monitoring?

Sorry for the partial thread hijack!

I have the 6i6 Focusrite. I'm not sure about the 2i4. I THINK it's like the 2i2 with the only inputs on the front which are 2 separate mono inputs that can't be panned L & R. That's one reason I got the 6i6.....it has more inputs on the back that can be the L & R input and L & R output with the Focusrite Scarlett Mix control on your computer. The virtual mixer comes packaged with the 6i6 and I BELIEVE works with any of the Focusrite products 6i6 and above. But you might go to the Focusrite website and read about the Mix Control software and SEE if it might work with the 2i2 or 2i4.

I use the stereo SPDIF cable from my Axe into the 6i6 and then normal balanced speaker cables out to my 2 powered monitors.

I have this problem too:

With my monitors plugged directly into the Axe's Outs 1+2 via regular 1/4 inch instrument cable, I can play in stereo.
With my Axe's Outs 1+2 --> Focusrite 2i2 input 1+2 --> Focusrite Outs 1+2 --> monitors, I cannot play stereo.

Reading above, looks like the 2i2 doesn't do stereo monitoring. For regular tracking that shouldn't be a big deal, I just double track and pan each track 100% left and right? Is there anyway at all to get stereo monitoring / playback through ProTools? If I track a solo piece and want stereo delay, how do I do this with the Axe's delays if the Focusrite is making me run mono? Or do I have to do it with ProTools delays, and if so, how? Do I have to copy + paste the solo track and put a delay on it or something? I'd rather use the Axe's delays if possible since they sound so good. Sorry for my noobness, recording is new to me.

The worst thing for me will be that I won't be able to play stereo when I'm just jamming, unless I unplug my monitors from the Focusrite and put them into the back of the Axe every time I play, which can get repetitive. Is the 2i4 the same as the 2i2, or does it allow stereo monitoring?

Sorry for the partial thread hijack!

So what if I want to record a solo / track with stereo delay, how would I do that?

So what if I want to record a solo / track with stereo delay, how would I do that?
in your recording program, assign the 2 inputs to separate tracks and pan the 2 tracks left and right. or create a Stereo track and assign the 2 inputs to that.

the 2i2 is not capable of creating a real-time Stereo signal for listening because the inputs cannot be panned. that is separate from your recording program being able to pan recorded tracks.

you could monitor from your recording program, but there is usually too much latency for that to work well.

in your recording program, assign the 2 inputs to separate tracks and pan the 2 tracks left and right. or create a Stereo track and assign the 2 inputs to that.

the 2i2 is not capable of creating a real-time Stereo signal for listening because the inputs cannot be panned. that is separate from your recording program being able to pan recorded tracks.

you could monitor from your recording program, but there is usually too much latency for that to work well.

So, with the 2i2, it's pretty hard to get a pingpong / shimmer type delay (echoes btw the 2 speakers) because I can't hear it in real time? Unless I plug the monitors directly into my Axe and make the preset, or if I know the bpm of the song I assume?

If I did it with 2i2, I'd have to record, listen, adjust, repeat I think.

the issue is you can't monitor in stereo when plugged into the 2i2. could you instead use the Axe-Fx as your audio interface with USB? then the monitors would plug directly to the Axe. or you could create presets using headphones and the headphone out of the Axe.

at any rate, the problem is the 2i2 and you'd face this issue creating and recording anything in stereo.

Back
Top Bottom