Axe-Fx Q3.03 vs real Mesa Mark IV + **Free Preset-Cab Bundle**

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor

No guessing here. First one is the Axe-Fx and the Preset-Cab Bundle that I'm sharing for free. The second one is the real Mesa Mark IV and a real Mesa 4x12 Traditional cab with an SM57 in front of it. The IR shoot is a bit dirtier than my Cab Packs but it's close enough. (didn't remove all the color from mic pres, cables etc. as I do with my Cab Packs)

Different guitar player. Different guitar. Different palm muting style is pretty evident. Same exact amp settings on the real amp and the amp sim. The GEQ is a bit different and the speaker page has been fine tuned to somewhat match the real amp. There's a high mid bump on the real amp that's been compensated for with a PEQ which you will see in the preset. You can tweak it even closer to the real amp as this is just what I got after around an hour of tweaking today and I felt I got close enough to where I'm happy. :)

Try the preset out and let me know what you think. The guitars used here are a PRS Custom 24 and a PRS CE24.

EDIT: There's now an AX8 version of the preset as well thanks to FracTool!

Attachments

• Mikko's Mark IV Finetune.syx
    17 KB · Views: 692
  • Mikko's Mark IV Finetune AX8.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Sounds great. Will try out with my new Suhr MS7.:)

Thank you for the preset, CK!
Awesome! Let me know how it works for you. These are the amp settings that I use with the Mark IV in real life so this A/B puts a huge smile on my face. :) CK... hahaha I guess I'm stuck with that name forever right?

I've just tried it.
On my rig sounds quite good right away with no tweakings but I think it's better suited for downtuned guitar stuff.

The IR is excellent BTW.

Oh man that sounds awesome right?! I guess the tone that I try to go for is the "Systematic Chaos" tone from "John Petrucci" with a bit more beef. I have to say that hearing your clip definitely gave me some Petrucci vibes.

The Mark IV is a very unforgiving amp in real life as well that takes some time to get used to. :) I'm extremely surprised how well this preset translates to your setup. :)

Thank you so much for this free preset/pack combo, man. It sounds great! Just added a TS808 in front and a noise gate for my high gain preferences.

It rocks!

Thank you so much for this free preset/pack combo, man. It sounds great! Just added a TS808 in front and a noise gate for my high gain preferences.

It rocks!
No problem. :) It is in fact kind of a crunchy barely distorted guitar sound that I go for. A boost can make it better for people who need more gain.

Last edited:

Thanks Mikko!
It souds something like this with my PRS SE Tremonti w/ Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I made the riff go more in the Korn side with disco beat and "korny melody"...Sorry about that :D Love your EP btw!

Edit:
Like the tone of your PRS btw. It sounds better when i compare it to my recording with this preset.

Last edited:

Thanks Mikko!
It souds something like this with my PRS SE Tremonti w/ Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I made the riff go more in the Korn side with disco beat and "korny melody"...Sorry about that :D Love your EP btw!

Edit:
Like the tone of your PRS btw. It sounds better when i compare it to my recording with this preset.
That must be one of the coolest things I've heard in years. A cover of my band's riff turned into a song by one of my favorite bands. Yikes! :D Thank you for that buddy! Made my day. :)

Reactions: DTS
I guess if it is the difference in the model (firmware vs real) or is an artefact introduced in the recording (mic position, room reflection,...)...
I'm pretty sure it's just the difference between the two real life Mark IVs. One that was used for creating the amp sim in the Axe-Fx and the one that I used. I'm sure I could tweak it away with some advanced amp settings as well but this was a quick solution. :)

Back
Top Bottom