Axe FX + Pwrmp

Hey guys.

im interested if any on had better recordings by doing a send/return fx loop in their recording chain and using an external poweramp like an ENGL or a VHT-Fryette 250.

I currently own a Screamer 50 Head and a VHT 250 to go with my ultra. just asking if any got better results with the power amp off on the axe and by using an external one.

Also. Im purchasing an Orange cab at the end of May, and id like to know if it worths to mic it up with a sm57 and use the axe as well as the power amp and record through mic rather than the XLR out.

Basically what method you think is better? Im open for suggestions:)

cheers:)

I have a mesa 2:90 that I run with my Ultra and I run the power amp sims on with no thump. At 90 watts per side, I'm not going to get a ton of power tube distortion at the volumes I'm running at so I felt like that was the best compromise. I have read that some guys run the sim completely off and some guys have run the sims completely on so I think it's more of a personal preference.

It really kind of depends. My opinion is to run direct. Running direct allows you to get a tone that you will be able to replicate easier in the future. If you run the Ultra direct you might want to look into downloading some IR's. I just think mic'ing a cab is a pain in the ass. You would get great tones either way. One wouldn't be better than another.

i have a massive collection of impulses that i downloaded/bought. For instance, i have all the Redwirez, a bunch of ownhammers IR's and a lot more. but the problem is that those are TOO MANY! :D i mean i can sit there and tweek for HOURS! do you use custom IR's? i wish there was a "best of" thread so we could just pick the better ones and compare. that would limit our options. I know it comes down to personal preferences but i think there are some things that are universal

My advice is narrow it down to a handful (5-10) impulses of a standard 4X12 (ie mesa or marshall depending on your taste) and just go with your favorite from those. Your right, the option are exhaustive. The best strategy is to just go with one that sounds okay and start tweaking tones with that one IR.

ill see how it goes man. If i have time, ill make a thread about what Custom IRs i used, the best options(in my opinion) and the mic placements on them since a lot of people seem to ask the same question as me.. ill experiment in the following month and let you all know:)

Back
Top Bottom