Axe FX - Protecting it from electrical surges?

JohnRaptor

Inspired
Hi everyone. I am getting ready to buy an Axe FX and had a question. I am new to rack mounted equipment and I was wondering if there is some kind of rack component that will protect my Axe from any electrical surges and such? I'm not sure it's even needed but thought I would check with you experienced people. It's such an expensive piece of equipment and I'd like to make sure its protected from any potential electrical problems should they occur. Would a standard surge processor you plug in the wall be good enough?

Thanks for any help.

I use Furman's PL-8 Series II; it's just good common sense to use one with your rig. There are other good power surge protectors out there too; Furman's been a constant brand with me for well over 20+ years now and never let me down.

I've been using a Furman AR-15, but not sure I really need it, and it's heavy, but I think they offer good protection and I don't want to take chances, but I'm kind of looking for something lighter.

If you have an extra rack space or really need the "lights" then get a Furman. However I saved myself about $100 and went to Best Buy and picked up a $29.95 Monster power 2-outlet surge protector from the Home Theater section. Fits in my pocket or guitar case. It plugs into one outlet and gives you two. It's not a power strip type, I don't need that many outlets. 1 outlet for the Axe-Fx, one for the power amp. It is guaranteed up to a ridiculous voltage spike so it's safe.

Basically the rackmount ones are more expensive, but they are not bad. Your choice!

because the Axe is like a computer I would get more then a surge protector I would get something the also conditions the power. Especially doing shows usually venues have horrible power and noisey grounds. Plus smoother power means the caps and other components last longer. I have a computer business that does point of sale systems and I use a device call a smart cord that cleans the ground up they work well for audio applications too. I am putting one on my new axe rig with a furman power condtioner probably over kill but with an axe ultra at 2k a pop I would rather safe then sorry.

I'm using the Alesis Powertrip 8 power conditioner. Works great, has a voltage display and pull lights with a dimmer switch.

I have a Furman AR-15 which is probably overkill but it's what I had left over from my old tube days lol

Back
Top Bottom