Axe-Fx overriding tone characteristics?

I'd like to say that in no way do I mean to denigrate the product or the hard work put into making improvements. It's funny how we perceive things though, isn't it :)

Of course, that wasn’t mean as a slight to Fractal at all. More towards those who don’t really know what they’re listening for, but want to join in on the excitement regardless.

So the people were aware when you switched between Amp and AxeFx?
Did you do a double blind where you supposedly switched but didn't?
Also how long ago was this?
I'm asking this because I've done some testing over time with three strats with different but rather close sounding sets from Kinman - all claimed to provide the Blackmore sound.
I'm under the impression that with the Cygnus firmware, the differences heve become much more apparent.
The amps were switched without people knowing and/or left as it was. Kinman pickups don't sound like single coils to me, just weak hum buckers with a narrow field . Good tone but not the same as a single coil.

I beg to differ - demo by Burgs:

And the point was that the differences between the different sets seemed more pronounced to me with the latest firmware.

For comparison tones those presets are beyond terrible and the core tone is akin to straight in to the desk . You could put a stock Squire strat in to that patch and it would sound almost the same. If you want to hear the difference between pickups first and foremost turn off all FX, gates , compressors and anything other than the core tone. Then try it through your presets that YOU made.

Real strat tonę.

Here is a couple of clips of pretty ordinary players with real strat tones. SOOOOO much more going on and the variety of tone you can get by player dynamics is infinitely more with real single coils (good ones).

Last edited:
Imagine just playing the gear you have while you have it?

That would be great! Unfortunately, our unenlightened minds are constantly grasping for the next thing or for the past experiences. Unsatisfied by making comparisons with the past, and troubled by imagining a future, not fully experiencing the present moment.

We are lucky to have a @Budda at the forum 🙏 ;)

That would be great! Unfortunately, our unenlightened minds are constantly grasping for the next thing or for the past experiences. Unsatisfied by making comparisons with the past, and troubled by imagining a future, not fully experiencing the present moment.

We are lucky to have a @Budda at the forum 🙏 ;)
utter rubbish!
I come in to contact and work on high end vintage all the time. I've owned over 300 guitars and played many thousands over the last nearly 40 years, including many famous instruments . Amps I haven't tried are very few yet every day a play my Axe3. I play it for a variety or reasons and still have tube amps as well. All I'm doing is answering the OP's question honestly instead of some of comments above . A rig can be perfect for you without being perfect in itself. Understanding the limitations of gear is the way to get the most out of it. Do I love that 55 strat in the clip? yes but would I want to actually use it as my No 1 no way. Working on £30k instruments and playing them regularly has made me fully appreciate the guitars I have. This is My strat; an exact replica 54 with the parts I don't like changed
IMG_0970.jpeg
Here it is next to two other narrow minded instruments.

Back
Top Bottom