Axe-Fx Name timeout!

Gene2713

Received the Axe-FX 2 XL and the MFC 101 Mark 3 hooked them up via fastlink and immediately received Axe-FX Name timeout! error. Went to forums read everything I could find tried midi ethernet and xlr cables multiple times. Error remains the same. The number 17 button also remains lit red. Is this normal? Another thing I tried a few times was to factory restore the 101 and recheck all settings. Nothing seems to be working. Please help very frustrated.

Check the midi channel on AxeFX and MFC is set to the same channel (factory default would be 1)
On MFC under edit->midi make sure you have it set to FASLink for XLR, Expansion for Ethernet, or Midi for Midi.
On AxeFX, make sure send realtime sysex messages is set to all
Also on MFC, make sure your AxeFX mode is set correctly... Options are none, std, ultra, II. Unless an option just for XL was added, select II.

Thank you for the quick reply and even though I was pretty sure I checked all of this I checked again. Still nothing. 101 changes presets up and down but refuses to display names and gives me Axe-FX name timeout!

Im having the same issue and my AXE-FXII is brand new and my MFC-101 MK3 is only about 2 months old. Ive checked all the settings and even done a RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS in the Axe-Fx UTILITY menu and it still gives me the name timeout error and #17 is red. Did the firmware update fix this?

Im having the same issue and my AXE-FXII is brand new and my MFC-101 MK3 is only about 2 months old. Ive checked all the settings and even done a RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS in the Axe-Fx UTILITY menu and it still gives me the name timeout error and #17 is red. Did the firmware update fix this?

I had the same issue and the latest MFC update resolved it.

I am having the same issue, but have only connected with (2 different) ethernet cables. That currently is my only connection option....frustrating.

Do you have the MFC set use expansion port? Also if have an AxeFx II XL, check IO->Midi->MFC port... you will to set it to Ethercon

I had Name Timeout errors with some cables. I switched to a shorter run and I no longer have name timeout errs. Try a short run cable to eliminate that as the problem

Fixed! Duh...on he MFC I had selected the Axe FX II and there is an option for the XL (which is the unit I have). That works fine now if anyone else is having the same dilemma. I will chalk this up as a newbie error on my part.

Fixed! Duh...on he MFC I had selected the Axe FX II and there is an option for the XL (which is the unit I have). That works fine now if anyone else is having the same dilemma. I will chalk this up as a newbie error on my part.

Awesome!

Thank you. This fixed it for me, also!

Do you have the MFC set use expansion port? Also if have an AxeFx II XL, check IO->Midi->MFC port... you will to set it to Ethercon
I know this one is old but I found my answer with your post as I was trying to get FASLINK to work. THANK YOU!!!!!

Received the Axe-FX 2 XL and the MFC 101 Mark 3 hooked them up via fastlink and immediately received Axe-FX Name timeout! error. Went to forums read everything I could find tried midi ethernet and xlr cables multiple times. Error remains the same. The number 17 button also remains lit red. Is this normal? Another thing I tried a few times was to factory restore the 101 and recheck all settings. Nothing seems to be working. Please help very frustrated.

That's all I've seen since getting mine.
Tried one Midi Cable...two midi cables...two different Ethernet cables.
Nothing...
With the Ethernet cable I can change patches....can't see what effects I have, can't turn effects on or off...but otherwise, this this is great.
(Sarcasm)

That's all I've seen since getting mine.
Tried one Midi Cable...two midi cables...two different Ethernet cables.
Nothing...
With the Ethernet cable I can change patches....can't see what effects I have, can't turn effects on or off...but otherwise, this this is great.
(Sarcasm)
After select proper mode on MFC go to I/O menu, MIDI and must change MFC port to whatever connection you're using

i am having this exact same issue, i do not see anything in the i/o menu/midi that allows me to select mfc.. also midi ports on both units are set to ch 1 and expansion is on for ethernet on the mfc... can anyone help?

Last edited:
got it working....... turns out it was an issue with my sound card and the axe connected to the pc... so instead of updating through the axe I tried connecting to my sound cards midi ports and whalla!!! worked.
case solved.

Back
Top Bottom