Axe-FX Name Timeout!

Filipe Rocha

Hey guys!

Just got my Axe-FX and MFC 101 recently. I mistakenly didn't get an RJ cable that was given to me as an option by the european distributor. Ended up going to buy an ethernet cable cat5 to connect the axe-fx with the mfc...Got the terrible message. I bought another cable. One is crossover, the other isn't. Both give the same result.

I don't want to ruin any of the devices nor do I want to buy new cables if I don't have too. Already wasted 30 euros today that could have been for the RJ-45 cable :/.

Can anybody help me? I've already searched the forum and googled it but all I find are midi pin cable solutions.

Thanks

Try going in to the MFC programming and check to see what port it is set to. Also check to see if the MFC is set for Standard, Ultra or FX II. Another thought is to make sure that the MFC and FX are set to send/receive on the same channel. If none of that works, then hopefully a smart guy will reply.

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Following what i read I already went through that procedure of EDIT>MIDI and EDIT>SETUP thing.

How do I know if they are on the same channel? I don't think I've seen that.

Ok, not going to use it than...But it's still doing the same with the standard one.

EDIT>SETUP = Axe-FX Mode II
EDIT>MIDI = Expansion

Don't know what else I can do. Already tried switching them and powering them off.
It's wierd to me because I just got them yesterday :/

I'm having the same issue as you Filipe. Everything appears to be setup properly on both the AFX and the MFC (although I don't know how to "make sure that the MFC and FX are set to send/receive on the same channel" as Geezerjohn suggested). If you get it figured out please post how you did it. In the mean time I'm going to contact support.

On the MFC, press the edit/save switch (like you would to enter setup) then press MIDI to enter the MIDI pages, just like you would to enter the setup pages. Scrolling through the MIDI pages, you'll see one for channel. It should be set to channel 1. Make sure the FX is set the same. Go to IO and page over to MIDI. Make sure it is set to channel 1.

Every time I've seen this message on the MFC, I've corrected the issue by just pressing the ethernet cable into the jack on the Axe a bit. The contact there seems to be a bit flakey sometimes, even when the cable appears to be properly seated.

Every time I've seen this message on the MFC, I've corrected the issue by just pressing the ethernet cable into the jack on the Axe a bit. The contact there seems to be a bit flakey sometimes, even when the cable appears to be properly seated.

I have to do the same thing. Fixes it every time.

Make sure your catt5 is plugged in properly. Sometimes the rj45 jacket can leave that little notch pressed keeping it from being seated properly. I went thru that a few times this week upgrading to ethercon. Made my own cables and the couple of times that the message appeared it was due to the jacket.

Hi guys! I have the same problem yesterday, until yesterday night the axe fx 2 worked perfect with the MFC 101, but at the end of the concert appeared in the MFC 101 the error AXE FX NAME TIME OUT! , and didn't work more with the axe. I've updated both machines with the last firmwares, did the factory reset too, controlled the midi parameter, tried with another cable, but nothing. How could this happen? I was playing and suddenly appeared alone this error, I didn't change midi parameters before and it's really unbelieveble. I send an email to Jochen of Europe assistence but an automatic email reply that he's on holiday. I read some posts here trying to find a solution but nothing. Now I'm in the middle of the season, a lot of concerts and hope that someone can help me. Thank you very much
Greetings from Italy
Giorgio

Last edited:
has anyone with problems here tried using a midi cable instead and changing it from Expansion to MIDI? did it work?

Same problem! I've tried every idea listed on here. This is the first time I am hooking it up but it dosent work.........

He/she has spent the same thing, and it was because a foot pulsador was choked. After to discover which was the I have pulsed several strong times, until it connects and it disconnects well and it should allow this way to act to the other pulsadores

Me ha pasado lo mismo, y fue porque un pulsador de pie se quedó atorado. Despues de descubrir cual era lo he pulsado fuerte varias veces, hasta que conecta y desconecta bien y así debe dejar actuar a los demás pulsadores

I was using a brand new Monster midi cable.... Just tried an ethernet cable and it now shows my display names (after changing it from Midi to Expansion) but now my MFC display is ONE number off? My AXEFXII shows preset 001, the MFC is on preset1 yet the display says X000? I thought all I needed to do was go into the I/O and hit the offset to 1?

There are 2 things to change on the MFC to make it offset by 1. Check the manual or my Initial Setup Video.

Hi,

i'm Frizze from germany and i've got the same problem with the bidirectional connection to my AxeII/MFC with cat5 cable. Timeout to Name and Tuner waiting shows me the display on the MFC. After checking and changing 3 different cat5 cables (i use only cat5/RJ45 Patch cable) with no success i tried at last my 7 pin MIDI cable, and now it works as FAS promised. But with cat5? No way at my unit, all parameteres at the axe and MFC are right, the connection is correct - i couldn't find a mistake.
It is ridiculous to me that with such an expensive device simply technical connections seem so problematic. Other devices had a search- and learning function, or correct the non-/crossover cable at the unit itself.
I have never problems with cat5 cale with my line6 or with my tc g-system gear at the last few years. What's up FAS? Too difficult?

Frizze :/

Back
Top Bottom