AXE FX=metal, Kemper=blues/rock?

FWIW - Danny Elfman has been using one for several years, also not metal. He even talks about it in his new Master Class.

I think on a Fractal forum the answer will likely be that the AXE III is the best for everything ;) That said, compared to a lot of other forums, people here seem to be more open minded and less captured by whatever gear they are using at the moment, which is one of the things that makes this place great.

I don't like to play metal. The Axe-FX is the best thing I've found for playing Gilmour, Blues, AOR and edge-of-breakup tones with classic amps.

Just because youtube is crowded with metalheads demoing the Axe-FX it doesn't mean that it is only better for metal. That is metalhead mentality

Last edited:
AxeFX3 user here, firmly rooted in rock and blues. The feel in the clean amp models is amazing, the mid- gain amps clean up really well with the guitar volume knob, and the Mk IIC+ is awesome for fluid hi-gain leads....

I'm playing the Axe FX II now for 7 years. In my life playing now over 55 years (I'm almost 71 now) as a pro and non pro musician. I started with Vox, Marshall's, Bogner and the last 20 years before the Axe FX II the Soldano SLO 100 trough two 4x12 Marshall cabs.

A good friend of mine has the Kemper now for about 5 years and it's not bad but it doesn't sounds nor feels for my like the Axe FX. My friend who owns studio agrees with me and for recording we use my Axe FX II.

So what ever works for you is OK, but I think you have to try out your self. Hearing others playing or telling what is good or not good does not work. That's my experience all this years. You'll have to find out your self by playing with the gear. Nobody really can tell you which one is best for you.

Btw I'm not a metall player - I play rock and blues rock.

As for me...you can check here my 2 cents
Ciaou

Bonjour mon ami, ca va?
J'ai eu l'impression que avec un peu de temps et de patience, vous avez amélioré votre capacité à maîtriser l'AXE FX. En fait, les derniers clips enregistrés en septembre sonnent mieux que vos premiers essais réalisés en février et mars, où je remarque un son étincelant et nombreux artefacts.

-For non french speakers

The impression is that time and patience improved your ability to tweak your AXE FX. In fact, the latest september clips sound better than your first attempts (february, march) where I hear a lot of fizz and artifacts.

I think on a Fractal forum the answer will likely be that the AXE III is the best for everything ;) That said, compared to a lot of other forums, people here seem to be more open minded and less captured by whatever gear they are using at the moment, which is one of the things that makes this place great.

I figured that I would receive a lot of answers like these, BUT....nobody knows the AXE FX better than an AXE FX user ;)
Best or worst otherwise it's a very personal matter, especially if we speak about tone.

Bonjour mon ami, ca va?
J'ai eu l'impression que avec un peu de temps et de patience, vous avez amélioré votre capacité à maîtriser l'AXE FX. En fait, les derniers clips enregistrés en septembre sonnent mieux que vos premiers essais réalisés en février et mars, où je remarque un son étincelant et nombreux artefacts.

-For non french speakers

The impression is that time and patience improved your ability to tweak your AXE FX. In fact, the latest september clips sound better than your first attempts (february, march) where I hear a lot of fizz and artifacts.
Merci. J'ai compris présque tout, mais il y a quelques nouveaux mots que le prof n'a pas enseigné il y a 40 ans.... :)

Thanks for the video @Piing but, as I said earlier, the AXE FX3 is absolutely ouf of my budget and I could only afford the previous generation.
It is not coincidence that I posted in the AXE FX2 section...

Sorry. I didn't notice I was at the II section, because I access the forum through the "What's new" menu.

I've been playing all the Axe-FX versions since the beginning: Standard, Ultra, II and III, and I can tell that the II is still up to date. It can deliver the best available tones, comparing with other brands.

I own an AXE FX 3 but still use my AXE FX II. I've used (other peoples') Kemper off & on. I do all kinds of music. Jazz, pop, rock, metal and everything in between as well as other instruments than just guitar. The Axe FX definitely sounds better. Especially with the latest firmware, much better. It also reacts more like a real amp than the Kemper.
As far as creating sounds with the AXE FX, since you have the same controls as the real amps and effect pedals, its about the same effort. Choose the amp, set the controls as you would on the actual amp, choose the cab, choose the effects and set them like the actual effects. I have over a dozen real amps (Fender Twin, Mesa Boogie Mark IV, Blackstar HT-5, 1966 Fender Bassman, etc.) and I've only powered on one about four months ago out of the past year.
The Kemper by comparison can sometimes be a pain to tweak as it does not react the same as the real amps.

Yes, this is a clickbait title, but in my humble opinion, supported from a friend who recorded his last album through both AXE FX2 and Kemper, this is quite close to reality.

After a lot of struggling in recording with microphones, Torpedo Cab and an AMT SS11 tube preamp, I'm considering one of this two machines. Apart from the different concept (amp modeler vs. profiler) and the different use (build your tone piece by piece vs. download your complete tone from the web), the impression that I had after hearing the same songs played on both machines, is that Fractal is more hifi and polished, while Kemper more raw and dirty.
I cannot post any URL as this is my 1st post, but go on YT and try to hear the Comfortably Numb solo played through both machines, and tell me your impressions...
My friend who had both Kemper and Fractal in studio, told me something like this:

I recorded all the rhythms parts with Fractal, I think it has more definition, then the solos with the Kemper which seemed to me much warmer and raw. Basically, I think I understand why Fractal is used by the new metalheads, its definition and precision lead you to be at ease in those contexts. As well as I understand why some guitar legends carry the Kemper with them; bigger, dirty and rough, it leads to sound more visceral, more rock.

In fact, Fractal is more used by metalheads (Dream Theater, Metallica, Trivium, Peryphery, Mesuggah) looking for precise and sharp tones, very tight palm-muting rhythms and high gain soloing, while an old bluesman like Knopfler, a jazzman like Pat Metheny and a '70s rocker like Steve Morse, they all preferred the Kemper.
In my opinion if you are looking for the subtle nuances of the tubes, that tones ranging from clean to crunch to the classic marshall tones, those very expressive Gilmour/Santana/Gary Moore-like bendings that give you goosebumps, the Kemper wins.
This is why I believe the Kemper would be the best option for me. I'm not a metalhead, I don't play with 10/10 Gain all the time, I'm more into prog-rock and classic-rock stuff.

Among other things, this feeling of hifi and polished tone that I feel on Youtube, I felt it amplified x1000 last year at a Brit Floyd concert here in Italy. And I wasn't in an unhappy listening position, like front row or last seat on the right side of the theater. I was in the top center position, very close to the control console, so the sound came to me from all sides.

And as I watched the concert goes by, the question that came back to me was:

these are professional guitarist that played any sort of tube amps and speakers in their life, they are Fractal endorsers so they have maximum support from the company to solve technical issues, get more informations on the machine, hard tweaking, etc. ..and this is the best they can do. So, what John Smith can do by himself in his bedroom? John Smith that has never played the 99% of the amps loaded on the AX FX, without the direct support from Fractal, and the maximum help he can get is through a forum thanks to some American metalhead that has no idea what clean tone is...Will it do much better than them? Will it sound very different? More realistic?

That concert for me represented the maximum of what AX FX can do, the machine squeezed to 100% of its potential.

As mentioned at the beginning, I am only interested in the recording, in fact I will not take any power amp or FRFR cab, and I don't want to replace my tube amp. I'll keep my Laney and Blackstar amps. Whether it's Fractal or Kemper, it will go on my desk between the Audient ID22 and my stereo speakers. I will see it more as an extension of my soundcard, a phonic outboard like an LA-2A compressor or a NEVE preamp, rather than the magic box that have all the existing heads on the planet into it.
Many people get disappointed while switching from their tube amps to a digital modeler/profiler, they miss the feel of a real amp and cabinet, so I will not do the mistake of re-selling my tube amps. They're both great, but they have different purposes.

If you have had both machines, have you ever noticed these differences? Do you agree the AXE FX is more defined and clear, while the Kemper is more raw and dirt?
What's the best to play all the classic rock stuff like Pink Floyd, Santana, Queen, Beatles, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Gary Moore, Eagles, and so on?
Thanks

I'm a jazz guy and have been using Fractal gear since 2009.
First, the Ultra and now an Axe-FXII.
You can hear all of my 2013 album release, Thanks Charlie, here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/joegold1001/videos
The guitar parts for Fives and Hmm were all recorded live off the floor in the studio with just a couple of overdub fix ups.
I was using a Bryston 2B LP Pro power amp into two EV loaded 1 X 12 cabs that were mic'd with SM57s.
The other guitar tracks were recorded at home using Logic, my iMac and the Axe's Cab Block with the original Factory EV IR.

I kind of know Pat Metheny a little bit having studies with him at Berklee in the mid 70s, and originally I had heard that Fractal had given him 2 Axe-FXIIs to check out, or maybe Pat bought them.
When he later settled on the Kemper I was quite surprised.
But I think that in his particular case he was more interested in cloning his touring rig which had a lot of gear and a lot of gear that was old and falling apart.
So he would have had to start from scratch programming all that stuff into an Axe-FX and it still would have only come close to his traditional sound.

In my case the, Axe-FX transcended my original sound and sounds (Triaxis > SPX90 > SDD1000 > Simul-Satellite), is infinitely more versatile and has a much smaller form factor.

I think that the Fractal stuff appeals to metal players because that's who Fractal tends to market to.
And most jazz/blues players are into grab-and-go pedals + tube amp rigs and don't want to hear about modelling anyway.

I've owned an Ultra, a II and now a III. I have extensive experience with the 8 as our church backlines them at every location we have. The Fractal ecosphere is superior to everything else out there, for every tone. I also have extensive time with KPA and Helix line, and while both can sound good, they aren't in Fractals league in tone, feel, or touch.

The ability to create a genre relevant tone/sound is entirely dependent on the end users choices and ability to use the hardware.

The Axe-Fx has the capability to do it all.

I dont think its more metal because you think more Metal heads have heard of it. Anecdotal statements "I know this one guy who had this so it's true" mean nothing.

Back
Top Bottom