Axe-Fx / Matrix Rig Problem

John contacted me from Matrix with some really helpful hints & after many hours of tweaking, I dialed in an amazing Fender clean tone that sounds really good through the Martrix amp/cab.

I still can't get a distortion sound that sound remotely good, but I'm sure another 40hrs of tweaking will fix that.

Thanks to John for the quick response & great tips.

Try sharing the tips here. Sharing is how forums function!

Try sharing the tips here. Sharing is how forums function!

Here is John's e-mail to me.

Sorry to hear you're having some issues. Let's try and figure out whether there's a problem with the cab itself or this is a programming issue with the Axe Fx.

If you have the option, can you play some music through the amp and cab? Something familiar sounding. What I'm trying to figure out is if the bassy sound is a problem with the HF driver. If you're hearing the music normally (cymbals and top ending sounding clear) then we can take a look at the settings you have and see if they are contributing.

Settings wise, first make sure the Global EQ is flat for the output you are using to the Matrix setup. Then make sure you are running just one channel of the amp to the cab (not bridged mode as the amp will not do bridged in 4 ohm). Just a single channel in stereo mode on the amp. On the Axe Fx in the I/O menu, set the output (the one running to the Matrix rig) to Copy L>R. This will set it to mono and save any phasing issues.

Some difference between studio monitors and headphones and a bigger cab are to be expected. Not all monitors or headphones are flat and the speaker size means bass response will be a little lacking so when using a bigger speaker (the 12's in the FR212) the bass response will be better. If you've adjusted the sound to get a little more from smaller speakers this could translate to a bassier sound on the FR212.

In the amp block on the Axe, go to the speaker tab and set the speaker resonance to something like 80-90hz. This should remove quite a lot of the wooliness from the sound as the default is around 115hz. We can look at some further things once we have a better picture of what is going on.

Standing the cab vertically won't make a huge difference. You can remove the front grille and swap/turn the horn around 90 degrees which should give you better vertical coverage if you intend to use the cab on end most of the time.

Try the music though through the cab and see if that is ok or not. If ok, try the settings above and I'm sure we can dial in something close for you.

If I can be of further help, please do get in touch,

John Hardman

I have Matrix GT1000 and 2 F12p and my gear is like a Disney atracttion wherever i go. Never had a sound like this on stage and i play in small places, big places and on TV Daily. Didnt turned of cab simulation, didnt do anything, if you want i can send a preset i am using that sounds amazing.

@doughboy Glad you are making progress with this! Please keep us updated as you move forward. I just purchased the same combo plus a 2nd FR212 which should arrive on Tuesday. It's a little alarming to hear stories like yours and @neale dunham , especially after I just dumped a TON of money into this solution! I think the comment from @yek are very reassuring though. Many pro players are using these amps and with regard to the cab + amp combo, it probably just takes a while to get everything dialed in, just like with most major equipment changes. Just look at the comments in this thread alone from @waylander69 and @Marcos Kleine... These give me hope! Wishing you the best of luck and keeping my fingers crossed... for BOTH of us!! :cool:

Glad you are getting closer Doughboy. You've not replied back to my original email so did wonder what was happening with your situation. Wasn't clear whether you'd bought the cab and amp second hand so obviously we wanted to make sure it's running fine in the first instance or no amount of tweaking will help. I'm still around if you want any help via the ticket as well. As far as the other comments go, we don't pay people to advertise and G66 carry the Matrix line as they feel it's a good product that complements the Fractal line. Neal comments are a little disingenuous as we did try to help him quite a lot (as well as the forum as well) and the FRFR route was simply not for him in the end. We can't please all the people all of the time and like Fractal, sometimes people don't gel with the product. One of the reasons ourselves and Fractal have the return period we do so that you can evaluate fully.

Back
Top Bottom