Axe FX + Matrix GT800FX + Orange PPC412 4x12 - Best Way of Connecting?

electricfurnace

Hi Guys

New here, so go easy hah hah.

Usually a tube amp guy (Soldano SLO + Orange 4x12 16OHM w/Celestion Vintage 30's).

Recently bought an Axe FX Ultra and a Matrix GT800FX Power Amp. Very impressed so far, amazing bits of kit.

What I wanted to know is what is the best way of connecting everything up to my 4x12?

I want to get as much power out of the Matrix as I possibly can with my current cab.

I am NOT running any stereo effects and don't think I ever will, so I am looking to get a setup in mono similar to what I've got with my SLO.

My drummer is very loud and I usually run my SLO on 7 out of 10 - so as you can imagine, pretty loud!

Am I correct in thinking these are the correct connections for maximum power from the Matrix:

Output 1 L+R to Input A+B on Matrix via XLR's.

What mode on the Matrix - Parallell? Stereo?

Output A on the Matrix to Orange Cab Input

I presume I cannot run two speakon/jack cables from A+B on the Matrix into my Orange 4x12 as it's parallel wiring rather than stereo?

Heres the cab plate

7675574_800.jpg

My concern is that in the above (with one speaker cable to cab), I'll only be getting at 16OHMS around 130watts of solid state power (equivalent to 30 watts of tube power more or less)????

Thanks!
Alex

Bridge the Matrix, and go right into the back of the Cab with a fat ol' speaker cable.

So it's definitely only one cable from Axe to Matrix and one cable from Matrix to Cab?

In bridged mode what power am I putting through the cab at 16OHMS?

Will there be no phase issues etc?

Cheers for the reply :)

Ah, hold on, I need a Y-Cable to run the Matrix in bridge mode, right?

So Outputs A+B (double speakon) - Speaker Jack?

Any idea where I can buy one from?

XLR from Axe to Matrix input A. Speakon from bridged output on Matrix to the jack on the back of the cab.

That's how I do it. Sounds great.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES RUN INTO BOTH INPUTS ON THE BACK OF THE ORANGE!!!!

It's not a stereo input, it's a link out. Basically you'll feed a signal into the cab and then straight back into the amp and kill it. Unless you have modded the internal wiring of the cab or have looked inside and made sure, put some tape over it and make sure it can't be used by accident.

16 ohm in bridged mode will give you 520w maximum. Here's a video showing some common ways of hooking everything up.

Hope that helps!

Yes, I thought that was the case with the Orange.

So, to get max power I will need to make a modified cable as per this video, correct?

Matrix Guitar Amplification.com Making A Bridge Cable - YouTube

With one cable only from Axe fX to Matrix, right?

Yes, if it's one of the early models with just Output A+B and no dedicated bridged output. Output from Axe (either 1 or 2) making sure the corresponding output mode is set to mono (Sum L+R) in the I/O menu and then into the amps input with the amp in bridged mode.

Very late to the party here, but I'm new...so bear with me here!

I thought I read somewhere else that bridging the matrix, into an Orange ppc412 is too much for the cab to handle?

It could be Nick. It certainly has the capability. Just be sensible and keep an eye on the signal lights on the amp which will give an indication on power being delivered. Generally you'll get to a point where everyone will know it's loud enough before they start throwing things at you to turn down so use a bit of common sense and the backup of the lights and you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom