Axe FX -> Matrix GT1000FX cabling

RockerAlex

Inspired
I understand I should be using a speaker cable from my 4x12 to the Matrix, but is it safe to be using a pedal patch cable to connect the Axe to the Matrix?

Cheers,

Alex

That's not exactly what he asked though Strat. He's talking about Axe to Matrix, not Matrix to cab.

That's not exactly what he asked though Strat. He's talking about Axe to Matrix, not Matrix to cab.

Indeed, I realize that a cab MUST have a speaker cable, I'm just wondering what's best for my Axe to Matrix ... would a XLR be any more superior to my patch cable?

Indeed, I realize that a cab MUST have a speaker cable, I'm just wondering what's best for my Axe to Matrix ... would a XLR be any more superior to my patch cable?

A balanced XLR would in theory be of superior quality, and is what I use between my Matrix and AFX2, but I have used a short unbalanced patch cable and I couldn't really tell any difference. I'm actually looking to revert back to unbalanced connections to free up the XLRs for PA output. Was planning on going for humbuster cables.

Sorry I read a post earlier asking about speaker ohms and the Matrix, and for some reason or other just misread this one as also being about speakers :)

On a short run you might not notice a difference of patch cable to XLR between the Axe and Matrix, but XLR would be less susceptible to interference over a distance. XLR would be a preference but I don't think you will harm anything using a patch.

is it safe to be using a pedal patch cable to connect the Axe to the Matrix?

I always use normal patch cables to go from Axe to Matrix. Never thought about using XLR. Don't think it is necessary.
If it would harm anything Matrix would not make these 1/4" jack connections on their amps I guess.

I'm pretty sure I asked the same question of the Matrix guys. Whether a mono instrument cable or balanced cable would be best. I'm pretty sure the response was: if you use a long lead balanced might be better at eliminating noise, but use which ever sounds better to your ears. Pretty good advice.

Back
Top Bottom