Axe-FX locked up

Wildwind

Experienced
Latest firmware on both units. This happened before (maybe six months ago and just once) and I figured out why - but I can't remember now.

All was working perfectly, then the MFC would not change patches. No matter which of the five presets I hit, it stayed on the same one (10 in this case). I could go up banks but could not go down. I recycled the Axe two or three times, recycled the MFC two or three times, went into the edit menu - all trying to remember how I fixed it. I also replugged the Cat 5 cable on both ends.

Then suddenly it started working. This time I reached and changed patches manually on the Axe-FX - but I'm pretty sure that's not how I fixed it last time - and it didn't glitch after that but rehearsal was almost over by then. Won't swear that wasn't it, though. It seems before I had hit something accidentally on the MFC, like Reveal. I tried hitting Reveal tonight - didn't fix it. None of the four switches on the right fixed it.

Tonight was just rehearsal, but if this happens again on the gig this weekend, I need to know how to fix it fast. Can anyone tell me what I did?

I've had my AF2 freeze while using Axe-Edit, I tried to call up Bypass preset and the Axe FX 2 froze, only solution was to turn off and on the AF2 rack. (Had MFC-101 hooked up as always)
(all updated to latest software, FW releases to date)

I see your using a Cat 5 cable. Do you have a Midi Cable you can try to see if that works ?

I'll try the MIDI cable. Not AE this time.

I'll run it hard the next couple of days before the gig to see if it behaves. And I'll check the updates to be sure. I know the Axe is current, pretty sure on the MFC but not positive.

No, not on the gig. Just the Axe, MFC via Cat 5, one Mission pedal, and one pair of Boss FS-5Us. Disconnecting the aux pedals didn't change anything.

Do you remember which preset you were on? Maybe there is a problem with it. If it were me I'd write down everything about that preset and then recreate it from a clean slate template, just to be on the safe side. I would probably also replace the Ethernet cable, or at least have another one on hand.

My Friedman HBE patch, an old faithful - and is found in more than one place in my presets. I'll check that, though, very possible. When I switched up to higher banks, it got stuck on whatever patch was in the fifth spot, and those were all different. I did swap Cat 5 cables at the gig - no difference.

Good thoughts though, Jake. I have doing a TON of tone tweaking and a bit of MFC programming - sometime seems to set things off, or so it seems.

The EXACT same thing happened to me at a gig on Friday! The MFC partially locked up. The only button that worked was the scroll down button, and before I realized it, I was scrolling down through 380 presets to get back where I needed to be. I could switch patches if it was in the same 1-5 position in the scroll. All other buttons on the MFC turned on the chorus??? I cycled the power on the Axe, disconnected and reconnected the MFC (Cat5) and neither worked. Had to keep playing, and then about 5 minutes later it seemed to fix itself and was OK the rest of the night.

Firmware 11.05. Same patches I've always used. I have two Mission Expression pedals on the board with the MFC. No USB or Axe Edit on at the time, although I did update patches with Axe Edit the day before...

I'm always using Axe-Edit outside of the gig, so we have that in common. But I'm not convinced that's part of it at the gig.

Mine worked perfectly today and I could not make it up act up Friday or Saturday at home. My fix Thursday night was to manually change the presets on the front panel. That seemed to make everything. But I hit all kinds of things and restarted both units a few times before then, without success.

In my case, I could only scroll up, not down (banks).

Back
Top Bottom