Axe-Fx lll & Apollo Twin hookup

Simply plug the line outs from the Axe (Output 1) into the two inputs of the Twin. Set Output 1 control to full (unity gain). Set the volume for monitoring to your liking on the mixer desk in the Console application. In your DAW, select the Twin as your interface and use its analog inputs 1-2 as input sources to record the processed signal of the Axe Fx.

That's all. :)
That’s a killer interface btw.
you have the ultimate set-up

That’s a killer interface btw.
you have the ultimate set-up

Sadly, I have to say goodbye to it, soon. Need a computer upgrade and the new Macs don't have Thunderbolt 2 connectors anymore.

Well, that means I will probably simply swap it out for an Apollo Twin X. ;-)

yep, Axe out 1 - Apollo mic pre's sounds great.

I got a SPDIF -> Optical converter to run mine which makes all the cabling cleaner and easier to record in stereo, but also frees up the mic pre's in the Apollo should I want to utilise them

Would you mind sharing the product you had purchased for AXE FXIII SPDIF out to Optical in on the Apollo? I just upgraded to the Apollo from the MBOX3 and am missing my SPDIF in....there are many products over a wide range of prices so I want to make sure to grab the right one!!

Just for info, I use two Fireface 800's (RME - using Firewire 800 interfaces), an Apollo Thunderbolt Twin (via Thunderbolt), and also the AxeFX III.

On my MAC, I built an aggregate device that incorporates the Apollo, the two FF800's, and the AXE III.

I also have a digital clock (2 actually - only use one). Here's the way I sync up on a Mac:

1. Clock feeds both of my RME FF800's via BNC
2. FF800 #1 outputs an ADAT signal out of ADAT 2, which I send to the Apollo via optical. This gives it SYNC, as well as 8 channels of digital.
3. FF800 #1 also outputs SPDIF, which I send to my AXE FX III for sync

So in review, the CLOCK comes my (one of two) master clock unit, then goes to FF800 #1 as BNC. Next FF800 #1 feeds the AXE II with SPDIF and the Apollo with ADAT. The second FF800 (#2) get's it's clock from the CLOCK master, while it could just as easily use the ADAT 1 connections I have between the two units.

Kiddo! Im 58 yrs old haha that's prob why I don't get it lol, Ok Im running FM3 into Logic Pro via UA Apollo Thunderbolt, and have the Lil box converter with the Spdif cable but Lost from there, hehe, Having good time Recording USB however thank the good Lord...

ok, so plug the axe into the little box with the spdif cable and then plug the little box into the apollo with the adat/lightpipe cable

open up apollo console (the mixer app thingy that comes with it) and click on "settings" in the bottom left hand corner

select the "hardware"tab and you'll see "digital input". make sure that's set to "spdif" and "sample rate" is set to "48kz" and clock source is set to whichever one gives you a lock (can't remember which is the one to select, i suspect "internal")

on the axe itself, you'll just need to check in I/O that spdif/aes select = spdif and spdif out source = output 1

Thank you, why couldn't I just read that somewhere, I searched High and Low for this intel haha I will try this and report back

ok, so plug the axe into the little box with the spdif cable and then plug the little box into the apollo with the adat/lightpipe cable

open up apollo console (the mixer app thingy that comes with it) and click on "settings" in the bottom left hand corner

select the "hardware"tab and you'll see "digital input". make sure that's set to "spdif" and "sample rate" is set to "48kz" and clock source is set to whichever one gives you a lock (can't remember which is the one to select, i suspect "internal")

on the axe itself, you'll just need to check in I/O that spdif/aes select = spdif and spdif out source = output 1
Hi Simon, just found your message after days used to experiment recording FX via Apollo TWIN x (connected via SPDIF). In my case the OUT1 control knob on FX front panel doesn’t modify the volume , is’t normal/correct? I’m using the Apollo out monitor

Back
Top Bottom