Axe-Fx ll Preset Question

And i gave a legitimate answer.
He is obviously not happy with the product
A small aspect is not "the product"...
You had a more legitimate answer some time back... :

chrome_WmMtt1L4eR.jpg

and doesn't want to put some trivial effort into getting presets how HE likes them.
Says the guy with a long history (>13 years) of whining and begging for presets...

Last edited:
A small aspect is not "the product"...
You had a more legitimate answer some time back... :

View attachment 111997

Says the guy with a long history (>13 years) of whining and begging for presets...
LOL stalking me?
Asking for help building presets is a bit different from just turning the fucking volume down!
'Whining and begging'.....says the 'ol fart' hahaha.
Goodnight and goodbye.

LOL stalking me?
Asking for help building presets is a bit different from just turning the fucking volume down!
'Whining and begging'.....says the 'ol fart' hahaha.
Goodnight and goodbye.
Maybe you want to ask Fractal and beta team members how much work it is to level 384 factory presets each with potentially 8 scenes?

The answer is: a lot!

The OP made a valid request. Your answers are silly...

First of all, Hello and good to meet you all on here.

I am new here, and to the Fractal Axe Fx ll world. I recently picked up an Axe Fx ll and upon picking up the Axe Fx machine itself, the seller was kind enough toggle me a fantastic freebie and early Christmas gift as he said, the MFC 101 foot controller-(original version foot controller). I'm not sure exactly how old everything is, but I do know that it has been in a Gator HSC since the start of it's life. Pretty much mint condition. I purchased a 15 foot ethernet CAT6 cable, and everything has been running smooth for the week that I have owned it. I do have one question though that's bugging me, and am looking for some help please. I noticed that some of the presets are super silly loud compared to others. So, so the machine come this way? or did the previous owner/s bump up the volume aftermarket? I am still learning obviously, so it's not something I would simply be to start diggin around teh machine for on my own. Any suggestions, or answers, please let me know! I am looking forward to coming into this newer way of live/studio modeling.
Many thanks in advance!

JL
I recently purchased an Axefx II Version I also.
I had the, same problem.
Firmware update an new presets fixed this.
most likely the previous owners, programming attempts.

Reset system settings will make sure the global settings are "normal".

It won't alter the presets.
Okay thanks....I am gonna look into all the possibilities between now and the weekend. I am sure I'll get her squared away one way or the other. Thanks again for all of the info/help.
I recently purchased an Axefx II Version I also.
I had the, same problem.
Firmware update an new presets fixed this.
most likely the previous owners, programming attempts.
Hey how are you....Yes, that was what I was thinking, that maybe the previous owner had certain things fired up, and some way down. I updated the firmware already, I just need to get a fresh set of presets in there now. Thank you for sharing the info.

Well as a player who's been in the music industry for over 45 years, and I spend that kind of money on any machine, the last thing I want to do is play Johnny on the spot programing/fixing games. Soooooo yeah in a sense, I use them all because they should be ready to go when I need them....I did not buy this thing for bedroom/living room use. (It needs to be ready to work when I need it to)....
Honestly, I’m no seeing the problem here.

You wouldn’t gig or record with a preset — or a traditional amp and pedalboard — that you just picked up. You’d dial it in first. That’s true whether you just bought one amp or 400 of them. I can’t imagine a professional situation where you’d just pull up a random preset out of the 384 available and go with it.

You can’t fault the unit for decisions the previous owner made. Even if you drop $4000 on a boutique amp, you’re still going to have to spin a few knobs.

Honestly, I’m no seeing the problem here.

You wouldn’t gig or record with a preset — or a traditional amp and pedalboard — that you just picked up. You’d dial it in first. That’s true whether you just bought one amp or 400 of them. I can’t imagine a professional situation where you’d just pull up a random preset out of the 384 available and go with it.

You can’t fault the unit for decisions the previous owner made. Even if you drop $4000 on a boutique amp, you’re still going to have to spin a few knobs.
And you know what....I am real fuckin A tired of the negativity that some of you continue to toss on my original or there after posts.....Worse than dealing with a piece of gear that is FUCKIN clearly not functioning as it should be in some way, is having to deal with comments that never answer my question, only on the attack, and or follow another assholes comments.....Like everything else in this business, I'll just figure it out on my own.... I didn't ask a single person on here what they thought of me or my posts, funny that's where this ended up though. I SIMPLY asked about a volume leveling issue that I can only assume is not as it should be running on presets. For the record, my initial posts/question was really only to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the machine in some way. I never said I wouldn't turn the knobs and or tweek shit, I only implied that scenario after I was obviously attacked by some bored idiot. This is why many people don't bother with these forums. Always someone ready to run their mouth instead of offer some real
help....I am completely new to this entire Fractal modeling game. My original post was reaching out as a newbie to this stuff. And I clearly mentioned that in the post.....

And you know what....I am real fuckin A tired of the negativity that some of you continue to toss on my original or there after posts... [...] This is why many people don't bother with these forums. Always someone ready to run their mouth instead of offer some real help...
Not nearly always. It's actually pretty good (but used to be way more interesting), save some 6 to 10 toxic participants who all by themselves give this forum a bad name... And yeap, a few participated here, or like to stick their nose in every thread. Sadly, the ignore function on this forum doesn't work well either...
There's a weird thing here where people read one criticism and start piling on; yet others are into Cancel Culture.

Anyway, I'll be more to the point too from what I remember. I've gone through all original presets at least some 10 to 20 times, and indeed, if you use a generous "bedroom volume," there's a few that will pop out. You probably know that distortion or a solo sound should often be louder, but some may pop out beyond that. IIRC, generally it should not be too bad though. You don't have to adjust 400, but maybe just a dozen that stick out (from what I think I remember).

Also push a dozen or so ignore buttons and you'll have a better time! :)

You sure like to paint a rosy picture... It doesn't need stalking to notice you want easy handouts and give a bad vibe if someone doesn't include his preset on a silver plate for you. I'm surprised anyone even shares anything with some of the parasite vibe around.

One of the main reasons I may never post sound clips is to not see these "Preset???????" type of comments. And if I do, I will make sure the preset is from a commercial tonepack. Understand that no one is obligated to share their hard work to someone yelling "Preset??" If you do understand that, be way nicer or buy tonepacks.

Last edited:
And you know what....I am real fuckin A tired of the negativity that some of you continue to toss on my original or there after posts
There was no negativity in my opinion.

@Rex is a long standing, very knowledgeable and very helpful member of this forum.

I think his response is legitimate and a fair assessment.

Worse than dealing with a piece of gear that is FUCKIN clearly not functioning as it should be in some way
As I've explained before, and Rex commented on, we don't know what the previous owner did to the presets.

I provided a number of pieces of information about the way Fractal attempts to level factory presets, as well as how they may be affected by firmware updates (which can also vary a lot depending on the player and instrument being used).

We (and you) have no idea what actual presets you have or their states, which is why I've recommended more than once to install the latest factory presets as a starting point.

Presets not being equally leveled doesn't equate to "not functioning as it should"... It's just the nature of this type of gear. Search the forum, it's on recurring theme.

This is why many people don't bother with these forums.
This is hands-down the most civil forum I've ever been part of.

And you know what....I am real fuckin A tired of the negativity that some of you continue to toss on my original or there after posts.....Worse than dealing with a piece of gear that is FUCKIN clearly not functioning as it should be in some way, is having to deal with comments that never answer my question, only on the attack, and or follow another assholes comments.....Like everything else in this business, I'll just figure it out on my own.... I didn't ask a single person on here what they thought of me or my posts, funny that's where this ended up though. I SIMPLY asked about a volume leveling issue that I can only assume is not as it should be running on presets. For the record, my initial posts/question was really only to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the machine in some way. I never said I wouldn't turn the knobs and or tweek shit, I only implied that scenario after I was obviously attacked by some bored idiot. This is why many people don't bother with these forums. Always someone ready to run their mouth instead of offer some real
help....I am completely new to this entire Fractal modeling game. My original post was reaching out as a newbie to this stuff. And I clearly mentioned that in the post.....
I meant no offense, and neither did @unix-guy. I’ve watched him patiently help people here for the better part of ten years. Neither of us has offered the spit-in-your-face anger that you showed here.

As for offering real help, it’s already been offered: if your presets aren't leveled, then level them. That’s the one and only fix. When you buy used, you’re at the mercy of the choices that the previous owner made, until you put in your own presets.

And even then, there are too many variables to guarantee perfection. I have presets that are perfectly leveled with a Les Paul, but aren’t leveled at all when I plug in a Telecaster. Just like changing channels on “real” amps.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson, 8 November 1838

I would love to simply put this beautiful machine back to how is it was out of the box brand new.
You can do that.

1) On the front panel, go to Setup > Utility > Preset > Erase All Presets, and hit Enter.

2) Then go to Setup > Utility > Reset > Reset System Params. Hit Enter.

— You now have a blank Axe-Fx. —

3) Go to the Fractal website and download the factory presets. The file you download will include instructions on how to load these presets into your Axe-Fx. Follow these instructions, and your Axe-Fx will be configured just like when it was new.

I've put in a new battery preventatively a week ago and it was a CR 2450 (I have the original Axe-Fx II). Seems the manual may mention another type (CR 2032), and I'm not sure if that is always correct. Maybe it can take several types, but I would look at it when you take it out.
Interesting, I would never have thought to look at what's in there + would assume the manual is correct (CR2032). For OP, my Ax2 is 11 years old, used daily and still on first battery - a new battery has been sitting on the shelf beside it for years waiting for the old one to die, but, having said that, if I was a gigging musician, I'd have changed it out long ago. +1 on doing a complete factory reset and reloading factory presets which are fairly level but as mentioned above the guitar used can make a huge difference as one of the things Axefx does well is respond to individual guitar characters, pickup strengths ...

Interesting, I would never have thought to look at what's in there + would assume the manual is correct (CR2032). For OP, my Ax2 is 11 years old, used daily and still on first battery - a new battery has been sitting on the shelf beside it for years waiting for the old one to die, but, having said that, if I was a gigging musician, I'd have changed it out long ago. +1 on doing a complete factory reset and reloading factory presets which are fairly level but as mentioned above the guitar used can make a huge difference as one of the things Axefx does well is respond to individual guitar characters, pickup strengths ...
Okay...Thank you for the message. I am getting there. As far as levels/guitars go etc...I've only been using the same Les Paul with the unit for now. Unless of course I see that one of the programs is clearly marked Strat/Tele ....Then I'll switch axes as necessary. Trust me, it's nothing subtle that's happening here at all with levels and the run away effects. I'm still getting used to everything. Coming from years of plugging into my favorite tube amps and stompboxes is a different world all together. But, I'll figure it all out.

Last edited:
You can do that.

1) On the front panel, go to Setup > Utility > Preset > Erase All Presets, and hit Enter.

2) Then go to Setup > Utility > Reset > Reset System Params. Hit Enter.

— You now have a blank Axe-Fx. —

3) Go to the Fractal website and download the factory presets. The file you download will include instructions on how to load these presets into your Axe-Fx. Follow these instructions, and your Axe-Fx will be configured just like when it was new.
Thanks for the help Rex....I was attempting a few other things that wasn't working via some other forum posts. I'll definitely try what your suggesting. Thank you.

Reactions: Rex
One small reminder.... Always make a complete backup of your unit before resetting it (and surely system settings).
After a system reset you'll have to reprogram all you user settings and notably the user pitch settings what can be a hassle if you had programmed the, settings for Hotel California for example.

One small reminder.... Always make a complete backup of your unit before resetting it (and surely system settings).
After a system reset you'll have to reprogram all you user settings and notably the user pitch settings what can be a hassle if you had programmed the, settings for Hotel California for example.
Hey thanks.....Good thing is, I've only had the Axe ll for a few weeks now. I figured now's the time to strip it down and start fresh. I have no idea what changes the previous owner made. But I know they are clearly not helping and or working in the right direction. All good though. Once I get it back to normal in a sense, I am sure things will be great.

Hey thanks.....Good thing is, I've only had the Axe ll for a few weeks now. I figured now's the time to strip it down and start fresh. I have no idea what changes the previous owner made. But I know they are clearly not helping and or working in the right direction. All good though. Once I get it back to normal in a sense, I am sure things will be great.
Sure, best is to start with a completely "fresh" unit : a factory reset, then charge the latest FW and at last the latest factory presets. You'll probably need to reset the MFC foot controller also and reaffect the buttons to your taste.
It's a bit of work but that should permit you to get at ease with the unit. Had one for 8 years and in once I had my sounds I almost never redid any tweaking

You're right. It's always good to back up. But I have a feeling that @Rocstx wants to be done with whatever the previous owner set up, and to just start fresh, so I didn't mention it. But making a backup never hurts.

Back
Top Bottom