Axe-Fx ll Preset Question

Rocstx

First of all, Hello and good to meet you all on here.

I am new here, and to the Fractal Axe Fx ll world. I recently picked up an Axe Fx ll and upon picking up the Axe Fx machine itself, the seller was kind enough toggle me a fantastic freebie and early Christmas gift as he said, the MFC 101 foot controller-(original version foot controller). I'm not sure exactly how old everything is, but I do know that it has been in a Gator HSC since the start of it's life. Pretty much mint condition. I purchased a 15 foot ethernet CAT6 cable, and everything has been running smooth for the week that I have owned it. I do have one question though that's bugging me, and am looking for some help please. I noticed that some of the presets are super silly loud compared to others. So, so the machine come this way? or did the previous owner/s bump up the volume aftermarket? I am still learning obviously, so it's not something I would simply be to start diggin around teh machine for on my own. Any suggestions, or answers, please let me know! I am looking forward to coming into this newer way of live/studio modeling.
Many thanks in advance!

JL

What firmware is your Axe Fx II running?

I never really used the factory presets much, but Fractal tries to do a good job of leveling them.

I would suggest:

1. Perform a system settings reset
  2. Make sure your firmware is updated closer to the last version released
  3. Delete the presets and reload the latest available factory presets for the Axe Fx II (you can back them up first if you prefer)
You can find downloads for latest firmware and presets here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

The Ares 2.0 firmware was the last released.

The Quantum firmware 10.01 was the last before Ares modeling (which started with Axe Fx III, I believe) and will probably work better with the latest factory presets which were created under a slightly older firmware.

What firmware is your Axe Fx II running?

I never really used the factory presets much, but Fractal tries to do a good job of leveling them.

I would suggest:

1. Perform a system settings reset
  2. Make sure your firmware is updated closer to the last version released
  3. Delete the presets and reload the latest available factory presets for the Axe Fx II (you can back them up first if you prefer)
You can find downloads for latest firmware and presets here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

The Ares 2.0 firmware was the last released.

The Quantum firmware 10.01 was the last before Ares modeling (which started with Axe Fx III, I believe) and will probably work better with the latest factory presets which were created under a slightly older firmware.
Thanks very much for the info. I'll look into all of the update stuff this evening. I appreciate the suggestion.

And you use all of them??
Well as a player who's been in the music industry for over 45 years, and I spend that kind of money on any machine, the last thing I want to do is play Johnny on the spot programing/fixing games. Soooooo yeah in a sense, I use them all because they should be ready to go when I need them....I did not buy this thing for bedroom/living room use. (It needs to be ready to work when I need it to)....

Just some OT general suggestions for long life...
  • if the battery was never replaced, it could go at any second now
  • never put your USB cable into the CAT6 port (always watch what you're doing) — unless for New Year fireworks ;)
  • seems the LCDs can't be replaced anymore — maybe keeping contrast at its lowest could increase its life?
  • don't quickly off/on any device, but wait 5 to 10 secs
(also see https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-2022-for-bedroom-player.188919/post-2342419)

If you want more and leveled presets for the very latest II firmware, consider an https://austinbuddy.com tone pack.

Enjoy :) Still a KILLER machine.

Last edited:
Well as a player who's been in the music industry for over 45 years, and I spend that kind of money on any machine, the last thing I want to do is play Johnny on the spot programing/fixing games. Soooooo yeah in a sense, I use them all because they should be ready to go when I need them....I did not buy this thing for bedroom/living room use. (It needs to be ready to work when I need it to)....
The reality is that if you need presets to be really leveled you're probably going to need to put in a bit of effort...

But since it's a used unit, you really don't know what's been done so reloading the factory presets.

Also, you might want to consider the Austin Buddy Live Gold presets.

Just some OT general suggestions for long life...
  • if the battery was never replaced, it could go at any second now
  • never put your USB cable into the CAT6 port (always watch what you're doing) — unless for New Year fireworks ;)
  • seems the LCDs can't be replaced anymore — maybe keeping contrast at its lowest could increase its life?
  • don't quickly off/on any device, but wait 5 to 10 secs
If you want more and leveled presets for the very latest II firmware, consider an https://austinbuddy.com tone pack.

Enjoy :) Still a KILLER machine.
Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I was able to install the latest firmware last night. Was pretty easy using the Fractal Bot program. And yes, I was wondering about the battery thing myself. Not sure if that ever done or not. Thanks again. Will look into the austinbuddy tone pack for sure.

The reality is that if you need presets to be really leveled you're probably going to need to put in a bit of effort...

But since it's a used unit, you really don't know what's been done so reloading the factory presets.

Also, you might want to consider the Austin Buddy Live Gold presets.
Hey thanks for the message. I updated the firmware last night. While I can hear subtle differences within certain programs/presets in the machine, the sound levels are still over the place. Might have simply been the previous owner setting things up where he liked them. I still have not tried the reset that you mentioned in your first message above. I'll give that a shot this week at some point. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to make the adjustments myself.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated. I was able to install the latest firmware last night. Was pretty easy using the Fractal Bot program. And yes, I was wondering about the battery thing myself.
(1) I've put in a new battery preventatively a week ago and it was a CR 2450 (I have the original Axe-Fx II). Seems the manual may mention another type (CR 2032), and I'm not sure if that is always correct. Maybe it can take several types, but I would look at it when you take it out.

I don't think there is a special trick to getting the battery out. Just know the clip holding it is pretty firm (a good thing). I probably lifted it just enough with a screw driver to slide it out w/o weakening the clip.

(2) When I first wanted to do backups, the current FractalBot acted weirdly and kept repeating its actions (not succeeding). I used a much older version to make it work. You can find those here: http://archive.axefx.fr

Hey thanks for the message. I updated the firmware last night. While I can hear subtle differences within certain programs/presets in the machine, the sound levels are still over the place. Might have simply been the previous owner setting things up where he liked them. I still have not tried the reset that you mentioned in your first message above. I'll give that a shot this week at some point. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to make the adjustments myself.
Firmware updates don’t load presets.

You'll want to download and install the latest factory presets, as mentioned in #3 of my first post.

Firmware updates don’t load presets.

You'll want to download and install the latest factory presets, as mentioned in #3 of my first post.
I know thanks....I was only referring to the reset thing via your original message where believe you were getting at that maybe help with the levels? Maybe I was misreading what you meant by the reset?

I know thanks....I was only referring to the reset thing via your original message where believe you were getting at that maybe help with the levels? Maybe I was misreading what you meant by the reset?
Reset system settings will make sure the global settings are "normal".

It won't alter the presets.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to make comments like this. They aren't helping and the OP is asking legitimate questions.
And i gave a legitimate answer.
He is obviously not happy with the product and doesn't want to put some trivial effort into getting presets how HE likes them.
Much ado over nothing. He'll be moaning about having to plug it in next.

Back
Top Bottom