Axe FX Live Bass Rig Concerns

md_pinks

I know I'm gonna get roasted quickly for not finding the thread that may contain the info I'm looking for but here goes:

I'm looking to make the switch to Axe FX. Specifically the III. The only real reason I'm hesitant is because I absolutely do not want to go to a "clean stage" type of live rig. i.e. no cabs. What I'm looking for are 2 things: 1. The ability to have a clean/dirty rig without 2 massive bass rigs on stage and 2. The ability to record both bass and guitars in the studio without a massive amp room.

I'm concerned because off all the live rigs I've seen in places like Rig Rundown, they never get into how it the rig is cabled together. And most of them are for guitarists to boot anyway.

So here are my concerns: I use a lot of pedals. Specifially a LOT of gain/fuzz (when the song calls for it of course!) and a number of different delays. Think Mark Sandman (Morphine) meets Jared Warren (Big Business)

Is it possible to use the III in tandem with the pedals if for some reason I can't (or don't have the time investment to) dial them into the III? Because what I don't want is to start completely from ground zero once I get a III in hand.

Also, what is the best method of using the III in this manner? Instrument to pedal board into the AXE, then to the amp? Instrument and pedalboard into the amp and the AXE FX through the amps effects loop? Hunker down for a few days/weeks/years ala Stephen Carpenter dialing in my new rig and use the III with a power amp?

Because the answer seems to be without having one in my possession it is gonna boil down to just buying one and praying its what I'm after.

My current live rig is:

Hartke 7000
Ampeg 8x10 (mid 90's, i.e. heavy as f)
Pedal board:
Boss TU-2 > Boss NS 2 (NS-2 effects loop > Ibanez TS-9 > Idiot Box Blower Box > Malekko B:assmaster > EHX Small Stone ) > Line 6 DL-4 > MXR Carbon Copy > Ibanez LF7 > EHX Freeze > amp

Please HALP!

Thanks

No reason to be concerned, you've got plenty of options.

What I would do first is plug your pedalboard into the input of the AxeFX and then the output of the AxeFX into the Return of your Hartke. Don't worry about getting your Hartke into a loop just yet, take some time and get familiar with the AxeFX because you may find you dig the models in there more than your Hartke's pre-amp. Doing it this way takes the pre-amp of the Hartke out of the picture and it's only providing power for the cabinet.

In that scenario, you'd just need to place an Input, Amp and Output block and you'd be good to go, letting you tinker with just the amps and it'd be most familiar to your existing rig. You'll want to turn off the Power Amp Modeling so it takes that out of the picture (It's in Setup in AxeEdit), though some people dig the power amp modeling while using another power source, so it might work for you being on.

Definitely check out this thread for some killer tips in regards to using some guitars amps for bass amps https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/dr-bonkers-guide-to-using-fractal-axe-fx-3-for-bass.172532/

The Triple Crest has become one of my favorite amps to use on bass so far!

Back
Top Bottom