AXE-FX landed! The first Amp-Clone is done!

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
Wooooow ..... i mean axefx II is landed ;) i got it! yiiihaaaaa! Awesome box! After hours of noodling with the first 50 presets.... uhhh yes .... i did, what i want to do for months: Clone my Koch Studiotone into the Axe! I use my template from my Step-by-Step thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-preset-template-tested-valid.html#post668981.

Ok, what i find out and must be changed in the template:

1) SYNTH-Block out from -14db to 0db (oh yeah, thats loud, but the results give me right :D )
2) TMA-Block "time" parameter to PEAK HOLD
3) I get the best results with the sine-sweep, i know Cliff staded, that he gets good results with pink noise, but what should i say ..... hmpf ... i`ve tried pink, noise, triangle, sine, all together ... different solutions ... the sine-sweep does it best (for me). So, no changes here.

I matched in AMP+miced CAB mode. Because my Studiotone give me a DI recording out including PowerAMP and the inbuilt Koch Speaker simulation, it`S the same process - at the end, right?!

4) I put out the CAB-Block. The intension was to tweak the AMP-Block to the original AMP byhelp from a similiar CAB IR and bypass this CAB before matching .... grrrr ..... i do it this way now: I select an AMP and to first a PRE-MATCH! Doing that, i have much of the frequency aspects of the "Reference"-Routing direct in my "Local"-Routing! Much better! Than i try to simulate the non-linear aspects by tweaking the Amp block. Not that much! Just GAIN, MASTER and ... ohh yeah Bright and BRIGHT CAP setting! This, i found out, was the key to get no muddy sound in comparison the the Koch, when lowering the volume from the guitar (near 0!).

Note: We did not discuss "nice" sound here, neither "fine" guitar licks. We discuss ONLY, how well we can replicate real Amps with the Axe-II FW6! I checked different guitars, different pickups, different guitar volumes and come to the same results, as you can here with the STRAT Example. If it`s noisy -> It`s the Koch. If it`s NOT noisy -> It`s the Axe FX!

Koch Studiotone OD+ channel against AxeFX II SLO100 with bright on (Bright Cap lowered from 0.500 to 0.200). Volume in- and decreases only from soft/hard picking and guitar volume from zero to hero ... ähem ... full:

What i notice by comparisons with my old Axe Standard: The Koch has more dynamics than the standard. BUT (!) NOW: The Axe has more dynamics than the KOCH! The machine is amazing!

For me it`s not Tonematching, in this Case it`s not Amp-Matching! In my opinion it`s Amp-Cloning! It`s that good!

Attached you`ll find the preset and pictures from the amp settings ...

Preset is my actual Amp-Match-Template ..... feel free to save it as Amp-Match-Template and/or keep only AMP+TMA = Koch+KochSPKR Sim (after with power amp)

Attachments

• KOCH STUDIOTONE OD+ koch spkr sim.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Koch OD+ H-mode (Small).jpg
    Koch OD+ H-mode (Small).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Koch OD+ SPK 1x12-on-axis spkr-sim (Small).jpg
    Koch OD+ SPK 1x12-on-axis spkr-sim (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Allright, updated. Preset is attached in first post .... feel free .... if you ever wanted the Koch Studiotone OD+ channel :D

This is a great sounding amp. thanks for sharing!!

To me, it seems the af2 is better sounding and easier to play than my tube amps, most of the time.

Great work Morphosis, thank you!

By the wy: where can I download your German Version of the step by step guide?

Beste Grüße
Martin

Excellent! I've always been interested in these Koch amps. To be totally honest, the noise is unbearable from the real amp; when it's removed in the AxeFX II the tone and clarity of the amp really comes out nicely. It is as if the II is helping the amp be the best it can be if that makes any sense?
I can't wait to test this out at home, very nice.

Great work Morphosis, thank you!

By the wy: where can I download your German Version of the step by step guide?

Beste Grüße
Martin

Newest Version of the Template: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2hqo6g1j423kcr/AMP-MATCH-TEMPLATE_v1.0.syx
Last (older) German Manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4diap4u3hx23wt/AXE FX II FW6.0 - Amp Matching Tutorial_DEUTSCH_v3.pdf Note the changes i do, written above ...

A new one (complete rework after doing the Amp-Clone above...) is in progress ...

Last edited:
Really nice work!! :)
I have that amp, so Im very thankful.
But any reason you only tone-matched the OD+ channel?

The matching was just a test. if the template work, as i assumpt it! the more gain you use, the more harmonics you get - the more complex the sound is - the more ambitious it is to "clone" the amp - IMO. so that`s the reason for OD+

I have sold the Koch in this was that fast, that i had not the time to "clone" all three channels with and w/o the speaker-sim ... this was, what i wanted to do, but the buyer came faster in my house, than i thought ....

I recommend the over-worked tutorial and Amp-Match-template for the AxeFx II, based on my experience with my matching experiences. You`ll find it here:

german:
G66 - MARKUS HOHMANN

english:
G66 - MARKUS HOHMANN

for fast matching and A/B testing i recommend to program some IA switches for bypassing the needed blocks ...

Hi Markus,

just loaded FW7.0 and it's great ........ but destroyed anyhow your Koch Tonematach patch what was my favorite Rock tone. Any chance that you redo it for 7.0?????

Cheers
Martin

Back
Top Bottom