Axe FX keeps screwing with my DAW!

Gadget

Is there a way to stop the Axe FX's drivers screwing with my DAW?

BACKGROUND:
I have an Axe FX II XL, which is connected to my TC Electronic interface via the XL's analogue output 1 and also to my PC via USB.

I record into Cakewalk Sonar Platinum from the analogue outs / interface and I use the USB connection for Axe Edit.

I record at 44khz and do not wish to use the XL's USB for recording.

THE PROBLEM:
Every time I turn-on the XL either whilst Sonar is running, or before it is running, it totally screws-up the drivers in Sonar. The only drivers I have activated in Sonar are the ones for my TC interface, but when the XL is switched on, Sonar assumes I want to use the XL's USB so enables its drivers, switches my DAW to 48khz and totally disables my TC drivers, which I then have to go back through and manually re-enable (all 32 of them!)

So...

Whilst I realize this may equally be a Cakewalk Sonar problem (and I will investigate that end as well) is there a way to set the XL's USB functionality for DATA only and not try to send audio?

Another Sonar Plat user here.

ALWAYS start Sonar first and once its up then start up the Axe-Fx. When it asks if you want to use it as an interface click "no" - that's assuming you are only using audio.

I have been using Sonar (cakewalk) since the late 80's. It isn't Sonar. . Also have had an axefx since 2009. Anyway, what Greg said and then just go into preferences (just press P) and make sure axe is unselected as an in or out.

In audio\recording and playback I also have always "un checked" share drivers with other programs.

Then you can start things in any order you desire.

I have been using Sonar (cakewalk) since the late 80's. It isn't Sonar. . Also have had an axefx since 2009. Anyway, what Greg said and then just go into preferences (just press P) and make sure axe is unselected as an in or out.

In audio\recording and playback I also have always "un checked" share drivers with other programs.

Sure sounds like Sonar to me the way you describe it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Axe-Fx doesn't tell the system to use it as an interface when you turn it on. This interface selecting behaviour is either an OS-level thing or an application-level thing. And given the workaround steps you've provided, it looks like Sonar behaviour when presented with a new interface.

I had the exact same issue in Pro Tools 11 on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1.

I had to keep the Fractal off when I booted the computer in order for Pro Tools to connect correctly to my Digidesign interface. The digi drivers load on boot so it would not work unless the Fractal was off.

Once Pro Tools connected to the digi interface, I could pwr up the Fractal and no issues.

Same problem here with Pro Tools and Logic on a Mac. When you turn the Axe-Fx on it tells your system that there´s a new interface. The only solution I know is start your DAW first and once its up then start up the Axe-Fx. When it asks if you want to use it as an interface click "no".

Hey! If your AxeFx and your DAW aren't careful and make a baby, will that be a Fractal AxeFx software version?

In that case, let them have as much fun as they can!

(Sorry. Couldn't resist)

The Axe-Fx doesn't tell the system to use it as an interface when you turn it on. This interface selecting behaviour is either an OS-level thing or an application-level thing. And given the workaround steps you've provided, it looks like Sonar behaviour when presented with a new interface.
Ian-I think you know what I meant, whatever...Come on-really. check the other daws....

Ian-I think you know what I meant, whatever...Come on-really. check the other daws....
I don't know what you mean. If you unplugged your non-Fractal interface and plugged it back in while your DAW was running it would do the same thing, it'd see a new interface and use it. It's not behaviour that's specific to the Axe-Fx.

I suspect we're in agreement on the solution, but maybe on the cause?

Whatever the case, OP, turn on all your audio interfaces before starting your DAW and things won't behave in strange ways.

Last edited:
I have this issue on occasion too, I was wondering couldn't I just uninstall the axefx usb audio driver? I still should be able to connect to axedit right?

I don't know what you mean. If you unplugged your non-Fractal interface and plugged it back in while your DAW was running it would do the same thing, it'd see a new interface and use it. It's not behaviour that's specific to the Axe-Fx.

I suspect we're in agreement on the solution, but maybe on the cause?

Whatever the case, OP, turn on all your audio interfaces before starting your DAW and things won't behave in strange ways.

Ian-my point was and is, it's not a sonar issue - it is a DAW issue-not trying to say it's an axe issue. Jeeezzz. I really am confused by your posts here.

Last edited:

But equally, the Axe Fx must be saying "hello, I can be used as an interface". It would be good if this 'notification' to the computer / OS / DAW, etc. could be switched-off from the Axe Fx when USB is only required for control and not audio throughput.

Another Sonar Plat user here.

ALWAYS start Sonar first and once its up then start up the Axe-Fx. When it asks if you want to use it as an interface click "no" - that's assuming you are only using audio.

Alas yesterday it still 'stole' control even though Sonar was already running.

I have this issue on occasion too, I was wondering couldn't I just uninstall the axefx usb audio driver? I still should be able to connect to axedit right?

It would be interesting to know if this is possible. I will try it later.

I start my TC interface first, then Sonar, then Axe Fx when I need it.

Therefore Axe Fx isn't even listed in drivers at startup to un-select.

The problem is that when the the Axe Fx is switched-on before Sonar it will grey-out all my TC interface drivers and the Axe Fx ones are the only ones available.

Yesterday, the Axe Fx even 'stole' driver control when Sonar was already running, without asking for my permission.

...turn on all your audio interfaces before starting your DAW and things won't behave in strange ways.

If I turn-on both my TC interface and Axe Fx before starting the DAW, the TC drivers are all greyed-out, the Axe Fx drivers are auto-selected and the sample rate has upped to 48k.

But equally, the Axe Fx must be saying "hello, I can be used as an interface". It would be good if this 'notification' to the computer / OS / DAW, etc. could be switched-off from the Axe Fx when USB is only required for control and not audio throughput.

That's not really how it works mate. It sounds like the DAW is polling the ASIO client, looking for additional devices. CoreAudio does a similar thing. When the Axe turns on it looks for a clock source, and depending on your settings uses its internal clock or external clock; I clock mine externally via my Focusrite Scarlett interface.

I don't get this behaviour with Cubase 8, Reaper 5.1, Studio One 3, Ableton Live 9.5, or Bitwig Studio. I'm on Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom