AXE-FX IV - WISH List

Network connectivity is tops on my wish list. Mixer, wireless, and IEMs all plug into switch in my racks so AxeFX is the odd duck out requiring USB

Many great ideas in here.

Since I don't know if the current mkII has better support for it: the granular delay to implement time-stretch, tape-stop etc. It's doable now, but I hope we see more bass stuff implemented. Example: there's 2 speaker impedance curves for bass cabs at the moment - I'd love 4-8.

In one phrase: everything that the Roland V-Guitar (VG-99, GP-10, SY-1000) can do (model pickups, guitars, bass, synths, alternate tunings, hex-poly-effects, etc...) but with FAS quality and flexibility

ps: I am not talking about guitar-to-MIDI for triggering shit, I am talking modelling.

I would just hope that it would stay in very similar 3U dimension so I don't have to buy a new rack case. I like the current sizing of the unit.

I would like:
  • to be able to build presets by voice command ("Hello Fracky...")
  • the built in AI to select presets according to my mood
  • the unit to compensate for my drunk playing with intelligent pitch and tremolo block

A unit with a SS PA that puts out 500-1000 watts @ 8 ohms and adapts to the amp model (speaker impedance curve) selected. It would be glorious.
Also, wouldn't even dare to dream about it but it would be interesting to have an Axe combo that's FRFR and fine-tuned to the Axe or even a version that has a guitar speaker in it with the aforementioned PA.
I started typing about something along the lines of a VST version, too, but I guess it would be hard to maintain the unquestionably good sound quality reputation if people started using the VST with cheap AD/DA converters and complaining about noise and bad tones.

A non-technical problem with being able to switch the internal processing on something like an AxeFX between 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, etc modes is that it changes the load per block and therefore the maximum number of blocks. Given that nobody wants to have spreadsheets in their ads, and that marketing will want to compare their competitors to the higher numbers, what gets advertised?

Unless y’all are just talking about converting the internal 48kHz to whatever at the outputs, in which case I’ll agree that it’d be nice to have. As long as we’re at it, I’d love to have an ethercon port for control instead of USB, and another one or two for Dante, AES50, etc primary and secondary… all with selectable sample rates for systems that can’t handle format conversion (I use a Dlive at work and AFAICT devices have to be set to send at 96kHz to connect to it).

If FAS’s reverbs and such are as world-class as I’ve heard they are, I’ll 2nd the request for having some mic pres on-board… FAS could use those XLR/TRS combo input jacks on some or all of their inputs, and market the AxeFX IV as an all-around piece of outboard gear. Having a mic input on the successors to the FM3 and FM9 would make them great for those solo “person with an acoustic guitar and microphone” gigs, too.

I was talking yesterday with a good friend of mine who plays Musicals, he's done things like Wicked and The Lion King. We were talking about FAS as the Production Office got him an Axe FX II XL+ and wanted to know my experience on the III for automation on preset/scene changes.

He was talking about how the shows runs on a Pro Tools rig and everybody, from the synth guys to the lighting crew are praising it for automation.

Sure enough I showed him a couple songs I have automated in Logic and referred to Leon's video.

The very last thing we've ended upon agreeing with is that it would be like, the icing in the cake, if there was and option to record the expression pedal or any modifier to a MIDI track via USB.

Imagine an EXP/MIDI "channel" in the USB interface where you can select the source modifier to track the CC directly to a MIDI track in your DAW just as easy as you can track a DI.

No, the Master Volume is still there, only the parameter image is gone. Check the last menu page and you'll see it listed with the other amp parameters..
That's not the Authentic mode.

Yes, you can page over to the Advanced tab and see that... But the main control tab won't show it.

Really, I just need to be able to add notes/comments to each preset. Oh, and have stand-in capabilities for the two rear panel switches.

This would require tearing down his ENTIRE operating system architecture. Everything time-based (so, basically everything) is based on that rate. If FAS was going to do variable rate, it would have happened in the beginning. Now, it's such a core component of how everything runs, there's likely no way to change at the system level now. No one in the world would want to knock over the house of cards built over a decade+ and start from a clean sheet.

Unless he's been working on it the entire time, it's probably not possible at this point.

Integrated mic pre's would be cool especially for micing up acoustic guitars. That was a nice feature if the Eleven Rack (even if it was only just the one). Surpised it hasn't been seen elsewhere lately.

Now you're asking FAS to design specifically to design and write code for macOS and PC's which are so wildly variable that you cannot account for every compatibility issue that will inevitable crop up due to the configurations and capabilities of each individual's system, as well as the billions of different ways Microsoft can trash the works with one of their infamous updates, driving their customer service lines red hot and driving htem bananas for a decade. They tested the waters with the Reverb plug-in and it's no surprise to me that they have not gone neat that market since and probably never will.

Designing to open standards like MIDI is likely as far as you'll ever see them go.
Although you have a point on the Windows update possibility of screwing the pooch, requiring bug fixes and firmware updates, you can guarantee OS X will change to the point once a year where every software developer you ever said hello to is emailing you begging you not to update your OS.

On that note, throw into the wishlist IV ring:
Quality mic pres
Far better customization and control of block names and fx type names
A build your own fx editor like Eventide’s vsig
DAW mode giving you a known fixed latency figure
IO of at least 8 analog and 8 digital IO
A port for expansion cards, future development.
Unless I’m really missing something, an impedance matching feature much like the UA Apollo would be awesome. I admit not fully grasping this concept from amp to amp, but doesnt/shouldn’t this value change? What if the first item in my signal chain after my guitar and cable is a Fuzz or a wah? Wouldn’t that be different than a Mesa MKIV amp? The Apollo mic pres claim to physically change impedance values based on plugins in the first slot.
Bluetooth or network connectivity.
Not just profiling, but game changing profiling taking hundreds of measurements requiring hours of work, but resulting in a brand new model, not just a profile of a particular amps setting.

Talk box block

Dry level controls in the fuzz algorithms

SPDIF loops for those with outboard that have digital i/o

3 band crossover block with discrete routable outputs to different rows of the grid for each band without having to play with panning controls

Some of the bass amps that I posted in the wish list

Stereo in reverb
Stereo in chorus
Stereo in flanged
Stereo in phaser

Why are the stereo ins important?

If you are running stereo detune, then you don't want sum things to mono at each block input in the next series of blocks in a chain.

Back
Top Bottom