Axe-Fx IV round the corner?

The potential of the III has not even been fully tapped yet, don’t expect an upgrade for years.,,,
According to the CPU estimates I’ve seen on this forum the iii will be maxed out with my kitchen sink preset. I haven’t purchased an Axe FX III yet but I won’t be able to have everything I want in a preset due to CPU limitations.
There may be extra potential if Fractal improves flexibility of scenes (a/b scenes, ignore CH, etc...) but right now it looks like my preset will be running at 90 with minimal FX and only 2 IRs.

According to the CPU estimates I’ve seen on this forum the iii will be maxed out with my kitchen sink preset. I haven’t purchased an Axe FX III yet but I won’t be able to have everything I want in a preset due to CPU limitations.
There may be extra potential if Fractal improves flexibility of scenes (a/b scenes, ignore CH, etc...) but right now it looks like my preset will be running at 90 with minimal FX and only 2 IRs.
Then you may be doing something wrong in your calculations, or your preset creations.

???

Your calcs are way off. I don’t consider myself a kitchen sink preset kind of guy and I have presets with amp, cab with four IRs, high quality reverb, delay, plex delay, two drives, wha, phaser, chorus, volume block, filter block for boosts, and rotary. I’m at 60% CPU.

As a test, I added a second amp block, compressor, enhancer, 2 GEQ, ten tap delay, pan/Trem, flanger, mega tap delay, looper, and pitch shifter. I’m at 82.1% cpu.

Last edited:
What calculations? This is simple to test for you.

My kitchen sink has 2 Ins, 2 Outs, 2 Pitches, Volume, Wah, Pan/Trem, Phaser, Comp, Drive, Amp, Chorus, Flange, Rotary, Send, Return, Filter, 2 Delays, Plex Delay, Reverb (economy mode, except on the spring reverb), Looper, Cab (2 IRs and room sim on), every switch/pedal input assigned to an external, and I'm at 79%.

Like I said, I haven’t purchased it yet so a can’t test it.
Here is approximately what I’m looking at:
Comp
3 volumes
4 filters
4 GEQ
2 amp blocks with gain enhancer
1 drive (would like 2 but don’t think I have room)
1 stereo cab with preamp and room sim
4 delays
2 plex delays
2 reverbs
Rotory block
Chorus
Vibroto
Tremolo
Using scenes to select FX and control switches to select gain staging.
That’s pretty much it.

Yeah I don’t claim to be an expert in routing but with minimal FX and only 2 IRs there is no reason you should be getting anywhere close to 90%. You’re pulling CPU from somewhere

I have presets with a different amp on each scene with different IRs in each scene with multiple delays, reverbs, plex delay, chorus and drive blocks with different tap tempo settings or delay/reverb types with LFO s attached and depending on how much stuff I maybe start to approach 70-80%... especially after later firmware

something is off somewhere

Like I said, I haven’t purchased it yet so a can’t test it.
Here is approximately what I’m looking at:
Comp
3 volumes
4 filters
4 GEQ
2 amp blocks with gain enhancer
1 drive (would like 2 but don’t think I have room)
1 stereo cab with preamp and room sim
4 delays
2 plex delays
2 reverbs
Rotory block
Chorus
Vibroto
Tremolo
Using scenes to select FX and control switches to select gain staging.
That’s pretty much it.
I’m also not sure how you can “calculate” this accurately without having the unit and axe-edit in front of you... and you said in a previous post that you had “minimal” effects yet you are almost maxed out on the amount of the FX the unit has to offer so I’m confused???

The Axe-Fx III hasn't even been in production for two years. This industry is not like cellphones and cameras. We strive to get at least five years out of a product.
THIS... the way the 3 runs now and with the amount of firmware updates I’m willing to be we’ll be even more blown away a year from now with all the updates we will have by then. I’d be surprised to see a new flagship product by 2025... can’t imagine what the next one will be!

There is more than one preset. As a matter of fact, there are 512 of 'em!

My kitchen sink has hot and cold running water, a drain, garbage disposal, spray hose and a soap dispenser...zero cpu load.

My FX III presets often have multiple compressors, delays, chorus, phase, rotary, drives, volume pedal, plus a second I/O path with an IR and enhancer for the acoustic player in the band. Sometimes I even use a 3rd I/O path for vocal effects. I have yet to experience cpu limitations.

View attachment 59338

Just added the blocks and set the two reverbs to normal quality. Still some CPU left.
Dang that was quick!!! This forum is awesome!!! Thanks! Add in several controllers and that would be moving toward 90.
It should be noted that when I said minimal FX I was meaning minimal extra FX my delays and reverbs are required so minimal FC other than Verb and delay!

Back
Top Bottom