Axe-Fx IV release estimate?

Was reading the other day how an unusually massive percentage of people had no urge to upgrade their smart-phones to the latest-greatest-thing anymore. I told the Wife "My Faith in Humanity has been somewhat restored!" :0) ...I suppose this virus/economy has a hand in that, but, I also think ..for most people, there's just no need to upgrade these types of devices anymore. They do everything the average user needs them to do. Any upgrade would be superfluous.. People might want a new phone.. But most don't actually need a new phone. And many people are beginning to see these latest phones as a complete waste of money.

My Samsung S8's battery died last Friday, so, ordered a new battery online for $20.00. I have replaced batteries in my phones plenty of times - it's not hard, and for the cost of a new phone (when the tech in my current phone is just fine), why not just switch out a battery instead? ...I'm happy with what I have got.. :0)

Same consumer mechanics came into play with computers. You would need to upgrade every-year - you would actually Need to, because the first computers were so slow.. Now ..you don't need to.. Might want to - but most don't really need to. Current tech is good enough for most people and any upgrade is superfluous.

...aaaand the same thing with these Modelers, I figure... The AXE III is basically a computer and an interface.. Then it's just running software for as long as it can handle running that software.

It's a double-sided blade for these guys making them. For us, we buy what we think is The Best that we can afford, and we can talk all-day about the "perfection" of these modeled amps in these expensive products, and that "huge array of stunning effects..." ..the downside being.. Where do we Need to spend money when perfection has been so-closely attained?

We'll soon have six companies selling boxes running identical "perfect" models and as equally stunning effects ... It's swiftly coming to that.

Currently the AXEIII is good enough for many - For me anyway, there's just no-real need to upgrade, even if an upgrade comes along... Might want that next latest-greatest thing, but the return on any investment, for me, is getting smaller and smaller. Currently, Upgrading to something with minute differences is a couple-thousand bucks better spent on better suspension for my horribly abused Jeep. :0)

Was reading the other day how an unusually massive percentage of people had no urge to upgrade their smart-phones to the latest-greatest-thing anymore. I told the Wife "My Faith in Humanity has been somewhat restored!" :0) ...I suppose this virus/economy has a hand in that, but, I also think ..for most people, there's just no need to upgrade these types of devices anymore. They do everything the average user needs them to do. Any upgrade would be superfluous.. People might want a new phone.. But most don't actually need a new phone. And many people are beginning to see these latest phones as a complete waste of money.

My Samsung S8's battery died last Friday, so, ordered a new battery online for $20.00. I have replaced batteries in my phones plenty of times - it's not hard, and for the cost of a new phone (when the tech in my current phone is just fine), why not just switch out a battery instead? ...I'm happy with what I have got.. :0)

Same consumer mechanics came into play with computers. You would need to upgrade every-year - you would actually Need to, because the first computers were so slow.. Now ..you don't need to.. Might want to - but most don't really need to. Current tech is good enough for most people and any upgrade is superfluous.

...aaaand the same thing with these Modelers, I figure... The AXE III is basically a computer and an interface.. Then it's just running software for as long as it can handle running that software.

It's a double-sided blade for these guys making them. For us, we buy what we think is The Best that we can afford, and we can talk all-day about the "perfection" of these modeled amps in these expensive products, and that "huge array of stunning effects..." ..the downside being.. Where do we Need to spend money when perfection has been so-closely attained?

We'll soon have six companies selling boxes running identical "perfect" models and as equally stunning effects ... It's swiftly coming to that.

Currently the AXEIII is good enough for many - For me anyway, there's just no-real need to upgrade, even if an upgrade comes along... Might want that next latest-greatest thing, but the return on any investment, for me, is getting smaller and smaller. Currently, Upgrading to something with minute differences is a couple-thousand bucks better spent on better suspension for my horribly abused Jeep. :0)

The only reason I can think off to replace my Axe II is that the III has a lot more CPU, allowing me to run longer effects chains. Which can be iffy at times on the II. But to shell out €3600 for that give or take the additional controller......

So. The mark II was released in 2020. Increasing its power capacity and display.. And now Cygnus Modelling is out.
I think currently we are good untill another modeller appears that Provides real competition in sound and usability with the III mkII. IMO the QC is currently nowhere near that mark. 2112 will attest to that I'm sure.
I imagine we have a few more years to go.

I don't foresee a new unit for at least a few more years. Heck it's only over a year old. This industry is not like high-volume consumer products. We don't release new versions every year or two.
Hoping for a 2-space version eventually (that isn't a 2013 model).

Bought the ultra a few months before axe II release and the II 1 month before the release of III. No matter how great cygnus sounds, I m waiting this one out 😜

I SO agree with this line of thinking. It's a good thing for our economy, that the vast majority of people don't feel this way, lol. I too have a Galaxy S8, which I bought refurbished at the time the S10 was the hot ticket, and not only has it been just fine, the tech it contains is more than enough for me. I'm glad you can change the battery, as I thought this was the first model where you couldn't do this. I bought it not only to save money, but I refuse to be locked into contracts, and that line of thinking started for me when they started with the 2 year contacts. Give me good service, and I'll stay.

Plus, I also will not buy the latest/greatest because it's generally a fact that first runs of many products have problems. I now always do this with vehicle purchases. I'll gladly let some fool, who bit off more than he could handle and had his truck repo'd, take that depreciation hit, and buy a 2nd or 3rd-year model with low miles.

I only clicked on this thread to see why in the world anyone even cares about when an Axe Fx IV will be released, seeing as the III is SO GOOD. I'm done buying gear, except for a good FRFR setup, and more guitars. I'm even completely content with the FW and presets. The best answer I read to waiting for a new IV, was every day spent waiting is a day closer to death.

2 things I would like to see the tech industry focus on: A vocal modeler, and a fucking red light that would change to yellow as soon as the last car approaches the intersection, never change to red when there's no cars at the intersection, and sense you approaching the intersection so it could change to green well before you come to a complete stop. Can't count the number of times that's happened to me!

Guys there is no board of directors in a smoky conference room deciding on product life cycle at Fractal. There isn't a "We have to release the new box by Christmas" level of bullshittery here.

I may be off base, and I apologize if I am, but wasn't there a supply reason that Fractal had to move to a different set of processors, different display, styles of RAM, etc. Of course as technology develops, as time moves on, there will be something that makes the III look obsolete.

However the thing to consider is that you are getting some 280 amps, more than a thousand cabs, and the best collection of stomp boxes you will ever collect. The value is in having that collection of gear in one box. The thing that Fractal does that makes their products worth buying every few years is that they improve the unit. You are now getting absurd value for your $2200. Of course there will be a new one at some point. I bought a Yamaha synth 5 or 6 years ago. I paid more than $4000 for it, and it has been replaced. I bought a John Petrucci guitar, and that has been superceded. Its gonna happen. The key is enjoying what you have while its the best choice for your money, and then move on. You would pay the same or more for one Marshall or Mesa amp that is modeled in the Axe. If you get the Axe, you will still have 279 or some number more new amps to unbox. It is way worth it.

Sorrry for the rant...

Joe

These threads crack me up a bit.

Of course there will be another Axe at some point in time. My guess is in about 1.5 years. Will it sound light years better? No. But it will do more 'stuff'.

But these threads are usually started by people who are worried they will buy, and a new one will arrive a month later (or a day after the return policy expires.). Ironically, it will be those who use 17% of the Axe III's capabilities in the first place.

Play yer guitar.

Back
Top Bottom