Axe-Fx IV release estimate?

The pattern I’ve seen is , Cliff usually waits till someone asking how soon will the next version be buys one, then he releases the next😳😳

I suppose if your business is buying AxeFx III units it's a fair question. However, I would venture to say that the vast majority of players have 1 AxeFx III. It is an investment. If you want a premium guitar rig you have to spend money. Each day you own your Axe III it could be losing money, especially if you are not using it as a tool to make money. If FAS announces a new flagship model tomorrow you will recover. You'll have time to decide if you want to jump right away or wait- or just stick with the III! (Jump in-the water is fine!) It is not possible to get any joy or productivity out of a guitar rig if you are obsessed with the "bottom line."

A business that operates the way you are suggesting won’t be in business long, at least not in a competitive product driven market space. GM just announced the new vette at roughly the same price as the previous model (not unlike FAS has done previously) ..I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the design/ prototyping phase took longer than a year before the announcement. If they announced those spec’s more than a year ago, how do you think that would effect sales of the existing model? Business’ exist to make a profit, giving market competitors strategic info and self sabotaging sales doesn’t serve that end.

Worst case scenario, you get a 3 and shortly thereafter the IV is announced... you flip the 3 and your out a couple hundred bucks...seems like a fair risk in exchange for having the bleeding edge now. None of the flagship product cycles have been anywhere near the timeline we are at now.
I work for a multi billion dollar business and it thrives just well the way I described. We sell all sorts of products. Some are designed specifically for a 1-2 year life cycle while others are long term performers like 10 years. Sometime we get a big surprise and a 2 year product actually goes 5 years before needing replaced. The point is, we ALWAYS have a guesstimate at the life cycle of our product and I guarantee fractal does too. Could they release a product sooner than that time? Of course. Later? Yup. My point was I do not know anything about fractal so was just trying to get a general idea. Heck the kemper is what...going on 10 years and the helix is going on 6? So fractal seems to make newer models a bit faster than their competitors.

Fractal was able to make a device with 7 year old tech work and sound well for a very long time. A year in with the axe fx iii we are still getting new stuff put in and I dont feel like fractal has tapped like 1% of what the 3 can do. If you want to invest, now is the time.

I work for a multi billion dollar business and it thrives just well the way I described. We sell all sorts of products. Some are designed specifically for a 1-2 year life cycle while others are long term performers like 10 years. Sometime we get a big surprise and a 2 year product actually goes 5 years before needing replaced. The point is, we ALWAYS have a guesstimate at the life cycle of our product and I guarantee fractal does too. Could they release a product sooner than that time? Of course. Later? Yup. My point was I do not know anything about fractal so was just trying to get a general idea. Heck the kemper is what...going on 10 years and the helix is going on 6? So fractal seems to make newer models a bit faster than their competitors.

Your company divulges new product info to its customer base far in advance of production, while at the same time telling them the product they are buying today will be eol shortly? I’m glad it works In your industry, but I can’t see how it would here.

If a new, more powerful chip came out that Cliff felt he could better leverage for his products then I could see an unexpected product announcement...but I can’t think of a strategic business decision for divulging it prior and giving competitors the opportunity to react. To say nothing of sabotaging current sales.

Since you feel this approach is incorrect... what would you suggest as an alternative...as the business owner?

From a consumer point of view you have almost no risk (trial period/flipping ) so I’m not understanding why you feel FAS needs to provide you with their roadmap in order to make a decision...and I don’t mean that disrespectfully.

Look at post 24. You got the answer from the man himself. Quit overthinking it.

You guys are not understanding each other. OP is talking about his company estimating life cycles behind the scenes so that they can plan appropriately for R&D and all that to get the next product out on time. Mayhem is taking his words to imply that OP’s company makes that info public.

That said, seems like for someone this interested in knowing the product life cycles and other info about fractal before making a purchase, there’s been very little even cursory research done to figure things out. Wouldn’t be terribly hard to see the differences between units and to see that the significant releases were standard, ultra, 2 and 3. Then look at release dates between those and you see that these products last a pretty long time, combined with the fact that you can still find ultras and maybe even standards rolling around being used by hobbyists and professionals alike. Buying a flagship fractal anytime in the first 1-3 years seems pretty solid, maayyybe after a few years I’d start wondering if there a minor update coming out. But this whole thing just seems absurd to me.

Years from Axe-FX n to Axe-FX (n+1) = 2n + 3

Axe-FX (standard): 2006

Axe-FX II: 2011

Axe-FX III: 2018

Axe-FX IV: 2027

I don't foresee a new unit for at least a few more years. Heck it's only over a year old. This industry is not like high-volume consumer products. We don't release new versions every year or two.

I think the answer the OP is looking for is somewhere in these two posts.

the only info I could find is maybe every 2-3 years they come out with a new version such as AXEII and then the AXEII XL...etc. Is this the typical timeline?
There is no rule like that.

What are the next 7 major brainstorms that Cliff will have? Once you've named them, how much processing power will each one need? How does that compare to the processing power available?

I bet even Cliff can't answer those questions. ;)

Last edited:
You guys are not understanding each other. OP is talking about his company estimating life cycles behind the scenes so that they can plan appropriately for R&D and all that to get the next product out on time. Mayhem is taking his words to imply that OP’s company makes that info public.

That said, seems like for someone this interested in knowing the product life cycles and other info about fractal before making a purchase, there’s been very little even cursory research done to figure things out. Wouldn’t be terribly hard to see the differences between units and to see that the significant releases were standard, ultra, 2 and 3. Then look at release dates between those and you see that these products last a pretty long time, combined with the fact that you can still find ultras and maybe even standards rolling around being used by hobbyists and professionals alike. Buying a flagship fractal anytime in the first 1-3 years seems pretty solid, maayyybe after a few years I’d start wondering if there a minor update coming out. But this whole thing just seems absurd to me.

I understood his point fine...just not the relevance.

I hope he takes the plunge and enjoys it as much as we do.

Phone and computer companies thrive on telling people what’s next because that tech is disposable at this day in age.
In the craziest of ways, too. I hate it when I’m buying a new phone and the salesman is trying to up sell me on a leasing plan, explaining that the the $800 phone he just sang praises for is expected to be obsolete next year. At least my guitar amp doesn’t have that problem.

Back
Top Bottom