Axe-Fx is not flat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has to bring this topic back on track, so I've got an important question...

Does the Axe-FX make my ass look flat? :shock:

Clark Kent's been making some outrageously good clips with his Axe, no matter HOW he had the input set. Dude may have tilted at the wrong windmill, but I envy his skillz.

Clark Kent said:
[quote="Jay Mitchell":2xohlpzd]No. It's proof that you've made a mistake.

It's proof that with the current setup that I have the Axe-Fx is NOT FLAT just like I said. Anyways... thanks for the help since switching to the analog input made the whole Axe-Fx sound different. Hoolyyy shizznitz. Still it's not FLAT. It's pink noise flat so not actually flat. Here's an example with the same sweep being compared to itself: "SWEEPAGAIN" and now that I switched to analog input I get this curve:

hoolyyyshiiiznitz.jpg

So SWEEPAGAIN is 100% flat and the Axe-Fx is more like pink noise. I'm sure there are many guys that have their settings just like I did. People should be informed. I've never played with those settings and I had them wrong. :([/quote:2xohlpzd]

Yes you are overdriving the input with the Wide band input signal you are using. The fact that you see green on the level doesn't matter because the preemphasis is done before the input level control. You either need to precondition you test signal or lower its level from the source.

The axe-fx response is FLAT.

s0c9 said:
Do you have any idea who Jay is or what he does for a living ?? :?: :?:

I suggest you do some further research before removing your hoof from your mouth! :roll:

Who Jay is, has nothing to do with this topic. Yes I know Jay must've done something big as he repeatedly loves to mention but all I can find is guitar lessons so what went wrong? In this topic Jay is not a nice guy nor has he ever been on this forum and we all know this. If he was a good guy he would've simply helped me like "try doing this and this to get it flat". Instead he wants to be egocentric and make the thread all about how good and magnificent he is. He's a basic case of a guy who isn't pleased with his self image so he gets satisfaction by setting himself above other people on a forum like we've seen happened countless times. Sorry but that seems really sad to me.

Let's stop this topic since it's not going anywhere. And btw Jay's spectrum wasn't flat either. And about me making an ass out of myself. No... I don't feel embarrassed. I'm one of the good guys on this forum and I'm sure most of you agree. I help people out without trying to make things revolve around me.

Clark,

Totally agree with ya.

Jay should work on his Emotional Intelligence instead of acting like he is from another planet.

MARSHIANS :mrgreen:

I measured some time ago axe-fx response using spdif i/o. Ruler flat. Haven't measured analog i/o.

Clark Kent said:
s0c9 said:
Do you have any idea who Jay is or what he does for a living ?? :?: :?:

I suggest you do some further research before removing your hoof from your mouth! :roll:

Who Jay is, has nothing to do with this topic. Yes I know Jay must've done something big as he repeatedly loves to mention but all I can find is guitar lessons so what went wrong? In this topic Jay is not a nice guy nor has he ever been on this forum and we all know this. If he was a good guy he would've simply helped me like "try doing this and this to get it flat". Instead he wants to be egocentric and make the thread all about how good and magnificent he is. He's a basic case of a guy who isn't pleased with his self image so he gets satisfaction by setting himself above other people on a forum like we've seen happened countless times. Sorry but that seems really sad to me.

Let's stop this topic since it's not going anywhere. And btw Jay's spectrum wasn't flat either. And about me making an ass out of myself. No... I don't feel embarrassed. I'm one of the good guys on this forum and I'm sure most of you agree. I help people out without trying to make things revolve around me.

I've had disagreements with you too Clark, but harbor no ill will. I have disagreements in opinion with Jay at times too.

Jay is just intolerant of folks that are presenting 'information' as accurate when it is not.

You need to do a Google search on Jay. Simple as that. You need to understand that he knows of what he speaks on all things speakers, IR's and so forth - he's at the top of the food chain. And other folks like that are likewise higher up the pay scale on all things technical like AlbertA and the past thread where another engineer got into it on the 'flat' vs. 'not-flat' (old thread linked earlier in this one) - trust me, the Axe-FX response is ruler flat. Any discrepancies are due to input error... not the black box.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jay+mitc ... =firefox-a

As for the 'I might be wrong... but Jay is mean' tact of playing this now - that's BS. You step into the arena with data that is incorrect, spread it as fact and are told that you need to redo it and why. We've all seen this play out before. If you don't like Jay's communication skill-set, so be it. But show me one time he's ever been wrong on a factual basis of which he posts about. Even once. I've been around for over 3 years, Jay was here at least as long. You might not agree with his opinion on things, but when it comes to facts related to his expertise on speakers and all things speakers... it's like a weekend driver telling a race car driver he doesn't know how to drive his race car.

It's called an "ad hominem" attack - attack the man when the facts fail to prove your premise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Scott Peterson said:
http://www.google.com/search?q=jay+mitc ... =firefox-a[/url]

As for the 'I might be wrong... but Jay is mean' tact of playing this now - that's BS. You step into the arena with data that is incorrect, spread it as fact and are told that you need to redo it and why. We've all seen this play out before. If you don't like Jay's communication skill-set, so be it. But show me one time he's ever been wrong on a factual basis of which he posts about. Even once. I've been around for over 3 years, Jay was here at least as long. You might not agree with his opinion on things, but when it comes to facts related to his expertise on speakers and all things speakers... it's like a weekend driver telling a race car driver he doesn't know how to drive his race car.

It's called an "ad hominem" attack - attack the man when the facts fail to prove your premise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem[/quote:29ne9cb3]

Thank you, Scott - my thoughts too. This is a maybe an opportunity to learn how to ask questions vs. making statements or masquerading statements as questions. Just because Jay does not wrap his help in pleasant paper, it does not mean he is offensive. I think the greater man would accept the opportunity to evolve vs. defend and attack.

Scott Peterson said:

It's just business, it's not personal :!:

I agree...
Jays social skills might sometimes be as flat as the Axe-Fx curve, and it is easy to get offensive when getting a blunt 'no' on a topic you believe that you're certain of, but I don't think that Jay has any intention of being rude (from what I've read in previous discussions). It's just that his answers are not as cotton-padded as you would like.

Cheers!
- jonah

This is a user forum. Axe-Fx users come here looking for information and assistance. When someone incorrectly claims they've discovered a technical attribute of the Axe-Fx's behavior - e.g., nonideal amplitude response - it is incumbent on those of us who know better to make the required corrections. Otherwise, there are folks - a number of whom never post but read the forum - who will propagate the false information as fact, e.g. "I read somewhere that the Axe-Fx isn't designed for live use." There is no good that can come of this kind of mythology, and we need to do what we can to prevent it. That's all I've done in this thread. I won't ever make a flat statement that I am not fully prepared to support, and I won't hesitate to provide that support (in the form of hard data in this case) when I''m challenged, as CK has done here.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, I made the same error a few years ago, and Cliff corrected me. Rather than argue with him, I redid my work and came to understand my error and how to avoid it. I then posted in the thread that I had been mistaken and explained why. No drama, no attacks on Cliff. When the message is not to your liking - but accurate nonetheless - the perceived style of the messenger is not a valid point of objection. When you are wrong but continue to insist that you are right, making repeated personal attacks in the process, you should not be surprised to find that the patience of the person with whom you are arguing has limits.

My take on this- after reading lots of posts here and on TGP (yes im new here, and hope to be here a while)...

Jay is an engineer or does something highly technical I imagine. I am an engineer as well, and I can tell you almost ALL engineers have big ego's. Ive worked with some of the biggest minds in the microelectronics industry, on some of the most advanced CPU's, DSPs, and SOC wireless chip architectures where I hold many patents. So I know of what I speak when it comes to very bright engineering types.

You have two classes, both are super bright, and both with big egos:

1) Those that have awful social skills. They dispute every fact, every point. They look down upon those around them. They tear people down who ask for help. They are condescending. They are unpleasant to most people. These types often are kept around purely for thier mind, and are stuffed in a corner by themselves- this is where they prefer to be, and where most people would rather have them. A bit of a God complex.

2) Those that are brilliant, but spend a lot of time mentoring and helping others *constructively*- taking a kind approach even when they are attacked. Taking a helpful approach when others are completely wrong. These are the ones that usually succeed even more. They are secure enough in thier knowledge and self image that not everything needs to be a "IM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, IF YOU PERFECT AND NEVER MADE MISTAKES WOULDNT NEED TO YELL AT YOU LIKE THIS" argument.

Do people have a right to dispute incorrect statements? ABSOLUTELY. I dont think ANYONE argues that- its all in the approach.

This forum is about helping people. You can say "IM SICK OF THIS CRAP, YOU ARE WRONG..." and fit into the #1 slot above all day. Does it help people? I guess indirectly. But you are probably coming across as a jerk to most people, and they see that first. You can be a LOT more constructive, and helpful and get the same point across. There may be some who dont care about JM's approach and value his posts. However I would think most people, and newbies like myself, immediately get put off by this type of approach from a moderator especially, and dont find it helpful. Its a shame, because Jay seems to know a lot and can reach/help a lot more on a forum like this with just a difference in approach.

If you want to argue with every person that knows less than you, or misrepresents facts, you have an awful busy life ahead of you with the internet. :lol:

My take- help others, be polite, realize you may not know everything, ask questions to others... and most of all have FUN.

eda123 said:
Jay is an engineer
Physicist.

or does something highly technical I imagine.
Loudspeaker R&D, manufacturing, customer support (I own the company), technical instruction, authoring of technical articles and reference texts. And, oh, BTW, playing gigs on guitar, bass, and vocals.

You have two classes,
There are two types of people in the world: those who attempt to categorize others, and those who do not. :lol:

Do people have a right to dispute incorrect statements?
Not a "right," in this case, an obligation.

You can say "IM SICK OF THIS CRAP, YOU ARE WRONG..."
I find your selective quotation (and emphasis) interesting. I quote from CK's post just above that one:

"Now be a dumbass and post "yes it is" once again. How about you make an impulse out of your Axe-Fx and show me how flat it is? This is so lame... "

In light of this, my response was actually pretty subdued. Courtesy is a two-way street...

Jay Mitchell said:
eda123 said:
Jay is an engineer
Physicist.

or does something highly technical I imagine.
Loudspeaker R&D, manufacturing, customer support (I own the company), technical instruction, authoring of technical articles and reference texts. And, oh, BTW, playing gigs on guitar, bass, and vocals.

[quote:1g6arhmm]You have two classes,
There are two types of people in the world: those who attempt to categorize others, and those who do not. :lol:

Do people have a right to dispute incorrect statements?
Not a "right," in this case, an obligation.

You can say "IM SICK OF THIS CRAP, YOU ARE WRONG..."
I find your selective quotation (and emphasis) interesting. I quote from CK's post just above that one:

"Now be a dumbass and post "yes it is" once again. How about you make an impulse out of your Axe-Fx and show me how flat it is? This is so lame... "

In light of this, my response was actually pretty subdued. Courtesy is a two-way street...[/quote:1g6arhmm]

Im not talking about CK. See my description of #2 - I see a lot of people who are able to rise above mud slinging and I think that is an amazing quality that I strive for myself but am not always successful with.

You may end up correcting facts, but you do so with an attitude, and thats a shame because most people watching will focus on that instead of the informed message you have clouded. You could be a lot more helpful with that big brain, thats all im trying to say. "Obligated" or not, you can be nicer and more constructive about it, and end up helping more people if youd like to take that route.

eda123 said:
You may end up correcting facts,
That's the objective.

but you do so with an attitude,
Correct. It's called "finite patience." Guilty as charged. :lol:

I'm putting a sticky at the top of this forum in the (admittedly optimistic) hope that future threads of this type can be avoided.

eda123 said:
1) Those that have awful social skills. They dispute every fact, every point. They look down upon those around them. They tear people down who ask for help. They are condescending. They are unpleasant to most people. These types often are kept around purely for thier mind, and are stuffed in a corner by themselves- this is where they prefer to be, and where most people would rather have them. A bit of a God complex.

As someone who has for no good reason been frequently accused (not here) of being arrogant and condescending, I have to object somewhat. I don't see anything wrong with how Jay responded to CK. He simply stated that CK was incorrect and what would be behind his false findings. I don't see any need to sugar-coat it, nor do I see it as any kind of arrogance. In these particular areas he knows his stuff and responds plainly. Just like if I know what I'm talking about in a particular area of knowledge, I will state it plainly and factually. If I know you're wrong about something, I will say so. If your logic is flawed, I will point out how so you can have a better understanding. Much like I would prefer people did the same with me when I need schooling on something. Why piss about with a bunch of pleasantries? I don't want you to make me feel good about myself, I want to understand what the hell you're talking about. If I want to feel all warm and fluffy, I'll get that by gaining an understanding of the subject matter. ;)

CK came in with "proof" that was incorrect, JM pointed out that he was wrong, suggested what the problem might be, and pointed out the CK wasn't the first here the make this error (i.e. it has come up before). I couldn't really see any problem with it... well, up until the point where for no good reason CK called JM a dumbass.

This reminds me of arguing with my last gf about me not telling "white lies". :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom