Axe-Fx into UA Apollo Twin=Mind Blown

lessthanone

Inspired
So I decided to take the plunge and finally get an actually audio interface instead of using the usb on the axe and using it for ALL my audio etc. From the few times Ive had the II and all the threads and such Ive read of people just saying use the usb for recording I wasn't expecting much of an improvement in sound going to an actually sound card. I just wanted to take some of the workload of the axe fx's processors. Decided to get the Universal Audio Apollo Twin. Got it set up, download my free plugins etc etc. Plugged my Axe FX in, loaded up one of their "legendary" mic pre plugins(I think its called the 610b) Started playing and Holy F*ck, my brain almost exploded lol. That was the sound Ive been looking for. Turning off the plugin yielded my straight axe fx tone(Cameron ccv) which sounded good off the bat but turning that plugin back on was like a moment of enlightenment:ugeek. Now, I know I could probably get that tone by constantly tweaking and playing with the eq's and everything else in the axe fx, But it was just so easy using the Apollo. I would definitely suggest anyone who has been using the usb on the axe fx to record look into getting an actual interface.

Get the Studer tape machine plug in if you can, its great. I run my XL into a pair of BAE 312A API-style mic preamps (just for the color) then into the Apollo Duet running the Studer plug and it sounds killer.

Well - to offer an alternate opinion. I've been using an Apollo Twin for quite some time. 90% of the time I'm recording through the Axe - I've been testing using the AxeFX direct (recording through the USB interface). I think it sounds pretty darn good. You can tweak the sound via the Apollo Mixer and plug-ins or you can tweak the sound via the Axe FX - pick your preference. Personally I tend to gravitate towards whatever solution feels the most simple, involves the fewest moving parts. I'm going to suggest some possible (and probably unlikely) feature additions to the Axe II related to USB recording that would largely eliminate my need for a separate audio interface.

In any case - we're all glad you're really happy with the tone you're getting!

hi all. i'm new here and i have decided to buy a Ultra. I own a Apollo Twin Duo. Can this unit be connected trough Apollo Twin Duo and if yes, can someone tell me how? I know the Axe Fx 2 has a USB for direct recording, but Ultra doesn't ...so before of spending money for this unit, i want to know if is possible. Thanks in advance for any answer

hi all. i'm new here and i have decided to buy a Ultra. I own a Apollo Twin Duo. Can this unit be connected trough Apollo Twin Duo and if yes, can someone tell me how? I know the Axe Fx 2 has a USB for direct recording, but Ultra doesn't ...so before of spending money for this unit, i want to know if is possible. Thanks in advance for any answer

You either connect it to the Axe-Fx analog outputs to mic/line inputs on the Apollo or you need to buy a SPDIF coax to SPDIF optical converter box and connect Axe-Fx SPDIF out to converter box to Apollo optical in.

I use an Apollo Quad tied to an Apollo Twin for all my stuff. Digital s/pdif inputs off my AX8 and an Axe-XL into each Apollo. Sounds fantastic, low to no latency, reliable and doesn't color the sound going into my CLRs or a DAW. I went through lower-budget choices like m-Audio and Apogee Duet -- the UAudio stuff is leap years better.

Whenever someone asks me what to use, I always recommend getting at least an Apollo Twin; more like rack Apollo if you can swing it. In fact, I recommended that today to someone today...

Not to mention the Apollo Console is so easy to use. The hardest obstacle for me using Axe for the audio interface was getting a good headphone mix. Now I go XL into Apollo Quad via S/PDIF and set Logic how loud I want it with one console slider and then bring my guitar into the mix with another and it's there. All without jacking with the record level.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest that the plugin is what is changing the tone to your liking, not the interface. The 610 is a fantastic plugin. I'm really loving all the UA stuff. But I doubt the Axe's interface sounds noticeably different than the Apollo when no plugin is running and the levels are matched in a blind test.

You either connect it to the Axe-Fx analog outputs to mic/line inputs on the Apollo or you need to buy a SPDIF coax to SPDIF optical converter box and connect Axe-Fx SPDIF out to converter box to Apollo optical in.
Thanks a lot for answer. I finally end up buying a Axe FX II XL . I'm happy with direct recording via USB in Logic. Do you think is worth to spend another 30$ and get a SPDIF to optical converter and to run into Apollo? does make any sense?

Attachments

• 2018-02-16 17.52.18.jpg
    2018-02-16 17.52.18.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 65
Thanks a lot for answer. I finally end up buying a Axe FX II XL . I'm happy with direct recording via USB in Logic. Do you think is worth to spend another 30$ and get a SPDIF to optical converter and to run into Apollo? does make any sense?

I'd say no. With short cable lengths you could just use the analog outputs and would most likely not notice any audible difference.

can you tell me what analog to digital converter are you using to connect Axe FX to Apollo Twin? I was about to get rid of my Apollo and to use Axe FX as a sound card and to record via USB, but i am not really impressed by the results. Sounds perfect on monitors and headphones, but when it comes to USB recording in Logic,,,,,,,.Before to get the Axe FX XL i used Bias FX and Apollo interface and I was impressed, I have a feeling that is nothing wrong with my unit and is just a routing sinal or software issue....i guess. I am surprised that nobody did actually a tutorial for newbie like me "how to record via US with a optimal results". don't get me wrong, but a unit that cost over 2500$ should sound way better than a 200$ VST.

ok. I've got my Analog/ Digital converter today I can get any sound out of this. This is what I've done:
- connected Apollo Twin to my iMac via thunderbolt
- connected Axe FX to my converter via S/PDIf cable
-connected Converter to my Apollo via optical cable
- setup my Apollo as sound card and it works, but I can bet the sound of Axe FX. can anybody help me here please?

can you tell me what analog to digital converter are you using to connect Axe FX to Apollo Twin? I was about to get rid of my Apollo and to use Axe FX as a sound card and to record via USB, but i am not really impressed by the results.

There is no difference between USB and S/PDIF.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 7.37.53 AM.png
ok. I've got my Analog/ Digital converter today I can get any sound out of this. This is what I've done:
- connected Apollo Twin to my iMac via thunderbolt
- connected Axe FX to my converter via S/PDIf cable
-connected Converter to my Apollo via optical cable
- setup my Apollo as sound card and it works, but I can bet the sound of Axe FX. can anybody help me here please?
the one thing I can think of is for you to check your Apollo App(the blue diamond in the top Apple Menu).. Console Settings/Hardware and make sure the sample rate is 48 , clock source internal, and digital mirror on.

There is no difference between USB and S/PDIF.

I'm sure that technically you are correct here but one thing I noticed when I went from using my axe FX as my 'soundcard' to using a focusrite (with axe connected via SPDIF) was that it did sound different.

I put this down to the focusrite driving my monitors differently (if that's the right expression)

My first feeling was that the focusrite was not as 'awesome' (to use a technical term) as the axe alone. But I've learned to live with that because a) it could be in my head b) I have more cpu headroom and c) the bloody kids are not using my axe fx when they take over the PC :)
I'm sure the Apollo twin is a more capable unit than the focusrite in this regard.

Whilst I don't like the idea of using preamps to colour my tone (surely I can do that in the axe?) if I were you ovigt71 I'd keep the Apollo and try a) running both the axe and Apollo as an aggregated audio interface (easy is you are using logic?) b) get the digital convertor working and continue with whatever UAD VSTs you like that made Bias FX sound good. I've used bias FX and IMHO it is nowhere near as good an amp sim as the axe fx.

Back
Top Bottom