Axe-Fx into UA Apollo Twin=Mind Blown

ps it also really bugs me that the twin won't retain any plugins used in a mix when in standalone mode. That's a real let down IMHO given the USP of the twin is the quality of their pluggins

yeah, this is correct. thanks to you guys, I got my Axe FX connected trough Apollo Twin...and there is no difference. I used Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and Yamaha HS7. I might need a better PA system, but for what i have I can't make the difference. I used my Apollo just as interface (no plugins). The only advantage is that the monitoring can be easy adjusted.....and a hell of the cables on my desk.... so...back to direct USB connection.

I've only recorded through my Apollo Twin, love it so much I'm purchasing the Apollo 8 next week with
the Black Lion Apollo upgrade. Agreed some of the Mic pre's in the UA arsenal are unreal! Analog gear
emulation is getting fantastic! The Apollo just gives it that spit and polish that puts the smile factor to
level 10.

ps it also really bugs me that the twin won't retain any plugins used in a mix when in standalone mode. That's a real let down IMHO given the USP of the twin is the quality of their pluggins
Isn't that the whole reason for the UA platform?
You can track with them in the mix and Add them from your DAW, its this way so you save CPU in your DAW, just throw the plugins on your channel strip, I just use usb recording then throw processing if needed later

Isn't that the whole reason for the UA platform?
You can track with them in the mix and Add them from your DAW, its this way so you save CPU in your DAW, just throw the plugins on your channel strip, I just use usb recording then throw processing if needed later

you're right, I was just thinking it would be more convenient. If a UA plugin was an integral part of the setup wouldn't it be good if the Apollo could be used live as well as in the studio? Maybe not but for the price I don't know why they couldn't do that if all the horse power is in the interface?

you're right, I was just thinking it would be more convenient. If a UA plugin was an integral part of the setup wouldn't it be good if the Apollo could be used live as well as in the studio? Maybe not but for the price I don't know why they couldn't do that if all the horse power is in the interface?
Yeah I get that, some day we'll get all the functionality we could ever want haha Right?

I would rather use UA 1176 compression/limiter plugin in the mixer console, than UA 610b.
I think there is enough EQ possibilities in Axe fx to put EQ on the console, but for the fun (or exactly control) I would put a Neve 1073.
Cheers.

I"ve been jonesing so bad for an Apollo interface for sometime. I'm upgrading my computer first in the next few months then will be eyeing a newer interface. I currently use a saffire pro 40. I really want a rackmount for the I/O etc so i'm torn between the apollo twin duo/quad vs an older Apollo 8 duo thunderbolt 2 which has dropped a lot in price. I know the twin duo is newer tech but i'm sure the apollo 8 is still leap years above my current focusrite. Im not a heavy plugins guy but i'd imagine the Apollo 8 duo would still be a great choice yeah?

I"ve been jonesing so bad for an Apollo interface for sometime. I'm upgrading my computer first in the next few months then will be eyeing a newer interface. I currently use a saffire pro 40. I really want a rackmount for the I/O etc so i'm torn between the apollo twin duo/quad vs an older Apollo 8 duo thunderbolt 2 which has dropped a lot in price. I know the twin duo is newer tech but i'm sure the apollo 8 is still leap years above my current focusrite. Im not a heavy plugins guy but i'd imagine the Apollo 8 duo would still be a great choice yeah?
Yes, and get at least 16 GB Ram and ssd drive with any Universal device and your going to Love it, I have that Mac with a twin and a quad satellite accelerator and Just ready for anything except Mic'ing drums but I like my SD3 lol

Haven't you tried the console pre-amps that are available at the CAB block, in Hi-Res mode? I can't live without them.

I do not have the Apollo, so I cannot say how the FAS console pre-amps compare to that pluggin.

Yes, and get at least 16 GB Ram and ssd drive with any Universal device and your going to Love it, I have that Mac with a twin and a quad satellite accelerator and Just ready for anything except Mic'ing drums but I like my SD3 lol
That's the plan exactly. I'm also considering SD3 as i'll have larger HDD as well.

Why do you guys all go thru spdif instead of xlr cables into the Apollo Twin? Could someone please tell me the pros and cons in a short msg? Give thanx!

Why do you guys all go thru spdif instead of xlr cables into the Apollo Twin? Could someone please tell me the pros and cons in a short msg? Give thanx!

Going through XLR cables adds one extra Digital to Analog conversion at the Axe-FX and one extra Analog to Digital at the sound module. The SPDIF keeps the signal in the digital realm

If it is for recording at the computer, I neither use SPDIF or XLR. I don't go through the sound module. I record direct with the Axe-FX USB. Less headache and no-worries dry track for reamping

I use spdif into my Apollo. I've tried all ways, but this to my ears sounds the best. I record left and right onto two mono tracks panned hard.

I use spdif into my Apollo. I've tried all ways, but this to my ears sounds the best. I record left and right onto two mono tracks panned hard.

Are you saying that SPDIF sounds better than USB to you? That must be a biased perception, since It doesn't have a scientific explanation. It is exactly the same pack of digital information transferred from the Axe-FX to the DAW.

Unless you record at higher volume with SPDIF. That would give you the perception of a better sound

Last edited:
View attachment 44900
the one thing I can think of is for you to check your Apollo App(the blue diamond in the top Apple Menu).. Console Settings/Hardware and make sure the sample rate is 48 , clock source internal, and digital mirror on.
Hi and sorry for this dumb question, but why I should activate Digital Mirror when record trough SPDIF on Apollo...?

Thanks

Are you saying that SPDIF sounds better than USB to you? That must be a biased perception, since It doesn't have a scientific explanation. It is exactly the same pack of digital information transferred from the Axe-FX to the DAW.

Unless you record at higher volume with SPDIF. That would give you the perception of a better sound
Yes. I'm not saying it makes sense...perception is reality after all.

Back
Top Bottom