Axe Fx into tube amp effects loop?

ngomaichi

This is probably a wicked easy answer, I'm assuming. I just got my axe fx II XL+ the other day and I love it. I'm looking to properly route it into my peavey 6505+'s effects loop, and I want to know if I have to make any changes in the I/O menu, AND which inputs on the back plate are the proper send/return to use. Anyone who can solve this for me is a lifesaver... :) Thanks!
EDIT: I know its probably not the most efficient format, but if I was running a peavey 6505+ clean channel, would running a driven amp block work/sound good? Also, should cab blocks be turned off if I'm running an actual guitar cab? Do I need to format my patch in a certain way? Thanks again!

there are a few ways to do this, the easiest IMO, is to plug your guitar into the front of the AXE FX, use one of the outputs on the rear to connect your AXE FX to the effect loop RETURN input on, this way you are only using the power section of your 6505 and you can use a distorted or clean amp block and it will sound good. the only changes you need to do on the I/O Menu is turn off the power amp sims and the cab sims if you are using a guitar cab, which sounds like you are..

Yep, you can plug the FX Send Output from the AxeFX into the return of your 6505+'s effects loop. Then you add an FX Loop block into your signal chain using Axe Edit and as soon as you run your signal into that block, you have it. Wicked easy! :)
At that point, Level 2 on the front of the AxeFX should control how much signal is being sent out to the Peavey.

Hope it helps!

I've only done this once, without much success. Tone sounded very brittle/hallow, turned off the power amp section and bypassed the cab.

That said, I think it had to do more with the gear I was running it through (friends valveking head/cab) or my own ignorance than the actual unit.

I've tried it with Mini Recto and Bogner Atma's power sections. Was not really satisfied.
Then I bought a EV ZLX 12 P, and discovered yek's presets, could not be happier.

MUST BE SAID AGAIN!
Add FX loop to end of AXE FX chain in Axe Edit. Output 2 on the back of the Axe FX is the FX Send, from FX Send to amp. Done.

Yep, you can plug the FX Send Output from the AxeFX into the return of your 6505+'s effects loop. Then you add an FX Loop block into your signal chain using Axe Edit and as soon as you run your signal into that block, you have it. Wicked easy! :)
At that point, Level 2 on the front of the AxeFX should control how much signal is being sent out to the Peavey.

Hope it helps!

I used to play for a while through an amp head and 4x12 Marshall box and left the power amp sim on as it sounded for me better that way . Just try out what you like. Cab sim I've turned off.

there are a few ways to do this, the easiest IMO, is to plug your guitar into the front of the AXE FX, use one of the outputs on the rear to connect your AXE FX to the effect loop RETURN input on, this way you are only using the power section of your 6505 and you can use a distorted or clean amp block and it will sound good. the only changes you need to do on the I/O Menu is turn off the power amp sims and the cab sims if you are using a guitar cab, which sounds like you are..
Thanks for the thourough guide!

Back
Top Bottom