Axe Fx intersction with IRs

LeBigMac

Inspired
Hi guys, I was watching the NAMM-videos, specially the ones about the BOSS GT-1000 and the UAD OX. A recurring theme was about IR, and how static they are. BOSS was explaining about there AIRD-technology. That it recreates the interaction of the power amp with the speaker cab.
I was wondering, is that the speaker parameters we already have in the Axe Fx?
Would be interesting to know if The GT-1000 and the OX still use IR as the foundation.

That's correct. The last few updates have been all about speaker comp improvements, which are all about the virtual power amp and speaker algorithms. It would be interesting to if the underlying Boss and UAD algorithms are any different or if it's just marketing speak.

Thanks for the reply! Thought it was that.
I think with the Loadbox coming out soon, wouldn’t it be nice to have a Fractal plug-in that lets you tweak some of those speaker parameters in conjunction with IRs? Like a Cablab on steroids. That would be the whole package.

Thanks for the reply! Thought it was that.
I think with the Loadbox coming out soon, wouldn’t it be nice to have a Fractal plug-in that lets you tweak some of those speaker parameters in conjunction with IRs? Like a Cablab on steroids. That would be the whole package.

My understanding is that those params are heavily tied into how the amp responds with the speaker load. So if you were to plug in a real tube amp into the FAS loadbox, to the amp the loadbox is the reactive load instead of the speaker. I would expect that FAS has designed the loadbox to handle the load like a real speaker would so you should not suffer any degradation in sound or feel.

Don't expect miracles, the speaker parameters are just a slight improvement. A real room and cab react differently to each note and make your (good) recordings more lively, when the room participates in blurring more or less the speaker character all over its spectrum. If you capture perfectly a mic'd cab based on two different notes, it will be two perfect but different IRs. When people make IRs they generally aim to give an average representation of all those differences, or to capture a roomless tone. So every note has the same peaks and notches, which makes the top end sound more fake, because your ears always hear the same hiss from note to note, the mids more 2D and lows less dynamic.

My understanding is that those params are heavily tied into how the amp responds with the speaker load. So if you were to plug in a real tube amp into the FAS loadbox, to the amp the loadbox is the reactive load instead of the speaker. I would expect that FAS has designed the loadbox to handle the load like a real speaker would so you should not suffer any degradation in sound or feel.
I think so too. I was referring to things like speaker drive to simulate speaker distortion with IR for example.

Back
Top Bottom