Axe-Fx... in your dreams?

nikki-k

Experienced
I suppose it is an indicator of my stage in "The Assimilation." Yes, the Axe-Fx II was in one of my dreams last night. Actually, 4 Axes in one dream. I was watching TV in my dream, and was watching a show with a band playing live in a studio, sort of like "Live At Abbey Road." I cannot recall the band, but there were two guitarists, bass, and keys, each using an Axe. After two songs, the host sat down with the guitar players (initially), and they began chatting about it, and demonstrating various bits. There were a couple other bands in the audience evidently, and two other guitar players were asked to come down and join in, and then the band's bass player hopped in as well. No idea why the keyboard player did not take part; maybe he did, but the dream gets foggy before too long, and went off on a very strange, unrelated journey.

The dream was really cool at the time, but even stranger (and.. worse?) was that when they began chatting all things Axe, I actually hopped online and came to forums here to see if anyone had posted about this. I was shocked to find no mention, and started a thread with information about what was going on.

Luckily, my insurance does cover mental health issues. Now I just need to pick which therapist and pharmaceutical(s) will best fit my needs... Anyone else have dreams about the Axe? I cannot believe it has infiltrated my head like this...

I see your point there. There was a joke on michael mcintyre's comedy roadshow about something being the second most boring as apposed to dreams being the most boring thing there is to talk about. Me and a friend of mine sometimes talk about dreams on the phone but then as you speak of it and you're really into it, you realise. This is not the same for him.. "You should have been there!!" hehe. I've actually found a secret code to my dreams. I've found what makes me dream of something. It may not be the same for you, but in my case it's this: If I see or hear anything I like/find interesting/makes me go "hmm", but then just carrey on with whatever i'm doing at the time, THEN I'l dream it! Never fails me.

But I can only tell the next day, "ahh, I know why I dreamt that!" But then it's too late. It's not like I can predict my dreams because the moment I go from noticing it to thinking more about it, no way i'm dreaming about it then! So if it's interesting,and Istop thinking about it right away,
kind of put it in my subconscious, then BANG! there it is in my dream. Try it! Well, actually you can't try it and go "Ok I wanna dream about this, just stop thinking about it and.." you know? It's got to be subconscious. If you can make that happen, there is a dream for you :D

So yeah.. that's, ehm. What I have to say.. about. dreams. I guess. (it's just not so often people talk about dreams ok?!!! I get into it ok??!?) hehehe

<3

Last edited:
Yeah I have had axe dreams. I actually got less and less sleep when it came to the day I was gonna buy it and I would dream I was fiddling with it. Never any sound in those dreams though. But now I can sleep happy :D

Damn....I though this was a George Lynch /Dokken sound thread.....
Well, you're wrong. Now say something about your dreams! This may be the only dreamthread ever. Go for it!
All your dreams are belong to us. how about them nightmares? No we don't like them do we.
Halloween with michael mayers was the scariest thing ever when i was a kid. Todays horrormovies is just about gore. Pathetic.
"add some more blood and gore, that will scare them!" Nah, wrong. That piano scares the shit out of me!

I've had all kinds of good advice from dreams: melodies, chord changes, even some counterpoint stuff.
It took me a while to take it seriously (thanks, Howard Shore) and that seems to be the point:

Once you 'take' the advice you're given and sit down to figure it out, basically transcribing the dream, the subconscious part of the brain 'feeds' on the energy you put into re-living the experience and rewards you with more.

I've jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to write down a couple of intervals, an melodic idea or even an idea for a Axe patch or modifiers - or even better - record it quickly into one of my Zoom H2 recorders I basically take everywhere.
My theory about this is very simple: If you act on this input in some way, basically gratifying whatever part of your brain was responsible, it's like a workout, it just gets better.

I've had some tough nuts to crack in the last couple of months, involving production, mixing and similar desicions, and if I'm not able to come to a conclusion, I can almost count on that subconscious part to come up with a solution - mostly at a really bad time I might add, but the point is: grab that advice or it's gone.

hah, I just derailed a thread about dreams, didn't I?

I can never remember ANYTHING from even the most amazing dreams 30 seconds after waking up :(

I can never remember ANYTHING from even the most amazing dreams 30 seconds after waking up :(
I'm with you, Jon. It's vivid for a few seconds, and then just fades away like a puff of smoke. I can recall very few details from any of my dreams, usually just that they were strange.

You have to think about the last thing in your dream, what you were dreaming when waking up. Then it all comes back like a reversed maze.
Yeah Nikki, your reversed maze is becoming a new thing for me, hehe. I'm going to include it in my daily conversations.
1. "what you guys think about the exam? It's gonna be so hard."
2. "well when you think about it, it's a bit like a reversed maze, if you start at the end.."
1. "wtf dude? Get some sleep, you're starting to loose it"
3+4 "yep, we're getting worried"
1. "You don't understand anything!!" *waving with arms for dramatic effect

My II is arriving today, and last night I had a dream about chasing after a Fed-Ex truck in the snow and slush (impossible on two levels. 1. It's UPS 2. It has yet to really snow here in Chicago). And then the Fed-Ex guys (there was like a small army in the truck, like a friggin' clown car or something) wanted some kind of special code for the delivery, which of couse I didn't have. After much haggling, they finally gave it to me, but not before they opened up the steel box it was kept in and "accidentally" dumped it in the snow. At which point I ran off with it, weeping like a little school girl.........

Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah. Ummm. I can only take comfort in the notion that dreams are basically your brain's way of taking a dump at the end of the day.

I've had all kinds of good advice from dreams: melodies, chord changes, even some counterpoint stuff.
It took me a while to take it seriously (thanks, Howard Shore) and that seems to be the point:

Once you 'take' the advice you're given and sit down to figure it out, basically transcribing the dream, the subconscious part of the brain 'feeds' on the energy you put into re-living the experience and rewards you with more.

I've jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to write down a couple of intervals, an melodic idea or even an idea for a Axe patch or modifiers - or even better - record it quickly into one of my Zoom H2 recorders I basically take everywhere.
My theory about this is very simple: If you act on this input in some way, basically gratifying whatever part of your brain was responsible, it's like a workout, it just gets better.

I've had some tough nuts to crack in the last couple of months, involving production, mixing and similar desicions, and if I'm not able to come to a conclusion, I can almost count on that subconscious part to come up with a solution - mostly at a really bad time I might add, but the point is: grab that advice or it's gone.

hah, I just derailed a thread about dreams, didn't I?

Not at all. I got your point.
I was dreaming about my "Who's that lady" lead patch that I was having a lot of trouble with. Had a break through in a dream, woke up and tweaked my patch to the dreams patch and its REALLY close. I also have been lucid dreaming for more then 15 years and almost always document my dreams unless Im camping or something. So I do pay attention to the unconscious and subconscious (when possible) mind. Helps me with lots of issues through my confused ways. :)

Seems I'm just the opposite. I start remembering a dream about 15 minutes AFTER I wake up. Never can seem to quite make sense of it as my dreams are usually so surreal and in the waking world make very little sense. I even wrote and recorded a song about it like 10 years ago.

This is like anything else you want to be good at, its going to take practice. Also, telling yourself that you will remember your dreams before you go to sleep, almost like a mantra, will help a lot...And I know it sounds silly, but ask yourself during your day, "am I dreaming", then answer yourself. This will put you in a position to start recalling the stuff that is under the surface of your conscious (waking) mind.

Hehehe! I love where this thread has gone! This is a great example of the "Chaos in a Bottle" concept I mentioned briefly in another thread here.

Though I do not agree with much of Jung's, erm, *spiritually dogmatic* leanings, his psychological and resulting philosophical ponderances are a top favorite of mine. Though I similarly disagree with the bits of discredited Freud ("The Freud Dude!"), the friendship between these two, and resultant products, are so incredibly fascinating, and, of course, thought provoking. I have my own elaborations, theories, etc concerning dream states (et al), but will refrain from babbling here, lol.

I recall most dreams, often in great detail, even the lengthy ones. I have wondered if my being a (primarily) visual thinker plays a significant role in this. Turning back to Jung and Freud (among others) again for a sec, I have noticed that certain behaviors in my dreams will be reflective of mood/temperament, both predictive and retrodictive (or, perhaps, even postdictive, if one is so inclined). For example, when I fly in a dream (or dreams)(not on a plane, etc, but ala Superman.. though not with the same posture, due to the same *physics*, etc), this is usually reflective of achievement, confidence, joy, etc. But, what happens in and around that refines things. And I am babbling.. lol..

My first remembered nightmare is from when I was just past my third birthday. I was living at Knoll Gardens (the Big Rock!) in Lake Hiawatha, NJ. I would walk into town with my Mom, and my (then) baby brother in tow in a stroller. In town, there was a small "strip mall" type cluster of buildings, including the Post Office, a shoe store, and dry cleaners. For some reason, the dry cleaners became a recurring starting point for nightmares. This first one was interesting; I awake in my dream, it is dark, early morning, and I am in a small bed in the front window of the dry cleaners. The smell assaults me, and I cannot figure why I am there. As I begin to look around, the conveyor machinery starts up, and plastic protected clothing hanging from the conveyor begins flying past. I am a little scared, but that becomes VERY scared not too much later. As I try to figure out why/who started the machinery (I can hear/smell steam machines/presses going as well), I hear.. a guttural, human sound. This huge guy comes out from behind the conveyored clothes, and he has a chainsaw. He makes another sound, and it is not laughter, but something like it, but.. guttural. I race about trying to find a way out; the front door is locked. I finally find a side door, and as I race out, I hear him smash through the front window, and then he revs up the chainsaw. The nightmare is actually pretty lengthy, and I end up racing about through most of downtown Lake Hiawatha, and eventually back toward our apartment. I have no idea where this came from. My parents are pacifist geeks. I had never seen anything to provide for this. The chainsaw could be from my Dad or uncle working on their Mom's property (she had an old farmhouse in Florham Park; not a farm for years at that point; no recollection of anyone using a chainsaw).

One of the things that surprised me early on was that it seemed that others did not have the detailed recollection, the prominence of smell, the deep immersive qualities (color, stark similarity to "real life", etc), and so on. One fascinating thing is finding others who will awake and then return back "into" their dream at, or close to, the spot they left off, intentionally or unintentionally. I have had far too many times of awakening from a "silent scream" inducing nightmare and opting to forgo sleep on the off chance that I will end up back in that dreamworld. Oh- and I have died in my dreams too many times, in first- and third- person. Dream in a dream, as many as four layers deep. Fascinating stuff...

Hehehe! I love where this thread has gone! This is a great example of the "Chaos in a Bottle" concept I mentioned briefly in another thread here.

Though I do not agree with much of Jung's, erm, *spiritually dogmatic* leanings, his psychological and resulting philosophical ponderances are a top favorite of mine. Though I similarly disagree with the bits of discredited Freud ("The Freud Dude!"), the friendship between these two, and resultant products, are so incredibly fascinating, and, of course, thought provoking. I have my own elaborations, theories, etc concerning dream states (et al), but will refrain from babbling here, lol.

I recall most dreams, often in great detail, even the lengthy ones. I have wondered if my being a (primarily) visual thinker plays a significant role in this. Turning back to Jung and Freud (among others) again for a sec, I have noticed that certain behaviors in my dreams will be reflective of mood/temperament, both predictive and retrodictive (or, perhaps, even postdictive, if one is so inclined). For example, when I fly in a dream (or dreams)(not on a plane, etc, but ala Superman.. though not with the same posture, due to the same *physics*, etc), this is usually reflective of achievement, confidence, joy, etc. But, what happens in and around that refines things. And I am babbling.. lol..

My first remembered nightmare is from when I was just past my third birthday. I was living at Knoll Gardens (the Big Rock!) in Lake Hiawatha, NJ. I would walk into town with my Mom, and my (then) baby brother in tow in a stroller. In town, there was a small "strip mall" type cluster of buildings, including the Post Office, a shoe store, and dry cleaners. For some reason, the dry cleaners became a recurring starting point for nightmares. This first one was interesting; I awake in my dream, it is dark, early morning, and I am in a small bed in the front window of the dry cleaners. The smell assaults me, and I cannot figure why I am there. As I begin to look around, the conveyor machinery starts up, and plastic protected clothing hanging from the conveyor begins flying past. I am a little scared, but that becomes VERY scared not too much later. As I try to figure out why/who started the machinery (I can hear/smell steam machines/presses going as well), I hear.. a guttural, human sound. This huge guy comes out from behind the conveyored clothes, and he has a chainsaw. He makes another sound, and it is not laughter, but something like it, but.. guttural. I race about trying to find a way out; the front door is locked. I finally find a side door, and as I race out, I hear him smash through the front window, and then he revs up the chainsaw. The nightmare is actually pretty lengthy, and I end up racing about through most of downtown Lake Hiawatha, and eventually back toward our apartment. I have no idea where this came from. My parents are pacifist geeks. I had never seen anything to provide for this. The chainsaw could be from my Dad or uncle working on their Mom's property (she had an old farmhouse in Florham Park; not a farm for years at that point; no recollection of anyone using a chainsaw).

One of the things that surprised me early on was that it seemed that others did not have the detailed recollection, the prominence of smell, the deep immersive qualities (color, stark similarity to "real life", etc), and so on. One fascinating thing is finding others who will awake and then return back "into" their dream at, or close to, the spot they left off, intentionally or unintentionally. I have had far too many times of awakening from a "silent scream" inducing nightmare and opting to forgo sleep on the off chance that I will end up back in that dreamworld. Oh- and I have died in my dreams too many times, in first- and third- person. Dream in a dream, as many as four layers deep. Fascinating stuff...

I too have died in many a dream, first and third person as well. I think I may approach things from a more subjective perspective, though I do not discredit the objective(and no offense either). Yin and Yang. :) I started telling my parents at the age of 3 and 4 how I have died before, again and again and again. Still, feel this way, and still have those types of dreams. A nightmare almost always induces a lucid dream for me. As do falling or flying dreams. Back to nightmares. Its something about realizing that there is nothing that I can do to get away, away from, avoid the dude with the chainsaw, or stop from hitting the rocks below. It makes me give in and BOOM! Im free. As for details, science tells us its impossible to read in a dream, but I do it all the time. So smells and other five sense experiences can translate too in my experience. Its when your deep deep, that its hard to maintain. You can get tired, so to speak. :p
Its very interesting stuff. I will leave it at that.
Oh, and check a fella out by the name of Thomas Campbell who is trying to explain the objective and subjective. Wrote a trilogy of books called "My Big T.O.E."
He has lectures on youtube that are pretty detailed and long.
Like I said, interesting stuff.

For those who are in WTF mode reading this thread, watch inception and you'll feel a lot better :)

On with the thread. I've never been able to subject my dreams to my will, acknowledge I am dreaming and being stabbed in dreams or falling have always felt real and painful. I am weak willed perhaps?

I talked to my sister about this today and her girldfriend's got this ability to continue dreaming exactly where she left it. A whole day of doing other things and bang, straight into the same dream again. Now that's subconsciousness out of this world. It's like she's split in half. Passive sleeping version, and active awake version. haha, weiiiiierd.
Yeah inception rocks! Back to thread. (knock on wood, I've not yet dreamt about skynet taking over the place. Shit, are you suppose to say knock on wood after?)
Great. I'm so dreaming about skynet taking over the place tonight.
"Thank you very much myself,that helps alot!"
"Sure no problem, come by anytime"

I don't wanna fall asleep!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom