Axe-Fx III - worth the upgrade?

olekhabiter7

I've been using my Axe FX Ultra for about 10 years now. Still love it and don't have any plans to overhaul it soon.
Still I am curious. Is the upgrade worth it?

If you can resist the GAS, then you're a better man than I. It's a fantastic unit, but if you have tone that you love in a unit you know how to use well, I say don't bother.

I upgraded to a III this February after ten years with my Ultra.

The upgrade is definitely worth it, all of the models and effects are improved. For me, the biggest night and day improvement is the cab block. The mixing and filtering tools are better, you have the ability to import and manage lots of IRs, and the IRs themselves are much better now.

That being said, I'm not sure my best III patch is a quantum leap better than my best Ultra patch. I had ten years to tweak my Ultra, but I'm still working my way through the bazillion possibilities of the III.

I still have my Ultra, it's wired into my mixer on a FX bus for my synths.

I upgraded from an Axe-Fx II XL+ and it was absolutely worth it, in my opinion.

Telling us how so would be informative. Where was the value found and what additional things did you get out of it?

To the OP: tell us what you feel you are missing and what your goals are.

Big leap from Ultra to 3
  • massive cpu increase.
  • major improvements in tone / model accuracy.
  • many more amps/fx models.
  • major improvements in hardware i/o.

I could continue this list for pages but it's feeling quite silly - c'mon man, Ultra to Axefx3!! just look at the specs on both and you'll see it's evolved light years in every possible way - do you really need more elaboration?

Back
Top Bottom