Axe-Fx III won't make me sell MY AX8 !

1poorplayer

Power User
I couldn't resist signing up for the new Axe-Fx III wait list. I fought it for a few hours , and then had to do it.
BUT , that doesn't mean I'm going to part with my AX8. The size , portability , and most importantly the SOUND , is just too good. It's the best at what it does , and I've often considered buying a 2nd , for loaning to friends , so they'd hear what they're missing without me having to miss mine ) , and for a backup , in case I damage it.

Some guys ; here on the forum , are moaning about - fear of lack of support for the AX8 in the future , and uncertainty about new floor versions being released , all since the rackmount flagship III was announced.

One thing is for sure , my AX8 sounds incredible. It's THE best floor unit on the planet , and it's backed by a great company , with the best support I've ever known.

If a new version becomes available within the next year or 2 , it won't change how great this unit is - now , or forever.
Guys have owned more than one amp for as long as they've been made. Owning multiple Fractal units is no different.
I don't care WHAT'S new around the corner at FAS , my AX8 won't be showing up for sale ever , so go get your own , and be glad you did !

If they implement just 10 of the most requested items on the AX8 wishlist and maybe even give it a larger color screen and scribble strips, I will upgrade to an AX8-2 in a heartbeat.

Yes, I agree the AX8 is the best floorboard out there, but there is still much room for improvement, but I think we will have to wait for the next version to see further (non-modelling) improvements.

If I remember well, not long ago Cliff said it would be difficult to cool down a more powerful AX8 so even though there will be a better model in the future, it might be currently not possible to port the axe-3 technology in an AX8 format. They're probably already working on it though. I definitely won't migrate to a bulkier, fan-cooled pedalboard for very subtle tone improvements. The AX8 is a keeper and won't be obsolete for a long time.

Amen brother - AX works for me right now so happy days

But wish my Fractal brothers and sisters all the best with their AX3 adventures

Sad that the Helix just win the battle!
The Helix does some things better, others not so much. It cuts corners to get more features out of the same CPU. If you want the features the helix has then yah, it wins. If you want the Fractal models and FX not so much.

I think a lot of us are in this boat. I really don't want another rack mounted device. Trying to gig with a rack situation just does not cut it anymore for me.

If I knew there was going to be something better than the AX8, I would wait and not worry about buying the III. I am all in for a floorboard based, fully decked out version even if it was significantly more expensive

I know everyone is sick of Helix comparisons but I like how Line6 came out with the floor model and the rack model at basically the same time and let people choose their favorite form factor.

Yup. The more I read wish lists about the Next Gen AX8, the more it seems to be a great idea to perhaps keep my trusty current model.
The biggest beef about the AX8 IMHO is the controls. I only do basic changes on the pedal itself and navigate to the Levels tab to check.

Everything else is AX8-Edit or occasionally, FracPad. Would be nice to have the I/O level meters as part of the main display in AX8-Edit similar to the Axe-FX III. Perhaps the next editor update?

Sound is never an issue with the AX8. I can't see myself having the pedal 5-10 years from now and finding the sound dated or unusable.

+1

I will buy an AX8 2.0 when it becomes available, but only if it's the same size or smaller. I hope this "double stuffed" Axe III isn't setting a trend for future fractal products. I would love a slimmer and slightly smaller footprint with the AX8 2.0, with more CPU horsepower, and a direct USB out so I can ditch my interface, but could care less about a fancy color screen.

Cliff mentioned that the cooling requirements for the III were less than for the II (I don't recall how he said it, whether it was the new chips, or something about the architecture of the board or ... ) but that makes me think there may be a way to build a new floor model that could support most of the new functionality and power.

Was happy with the tone of the AX8 when I bought it. And after receiving several significant, and FREE, software updates, I'm even more pleased with it. The tones I'm rocking will never be obsolete IMHO. In fact, the loyalty created by all the great stuff on this Forum and the awesome customer service is exactly why I'll be in line to buy the next version. Not because I need it, but because I want it.

I've been using the AX8 vs the II/MFC since last spring pretty much exclusively, and just had my most satisfying experience ever with any FAS device at last weekend's gig with the AX8/v9.04. My guitar rig has never been smaller, lighter, more convenient, versatile, easy to use, and awesome sounding as it is right now with the AX8.

I'll be selling off my AFX II Mk. I and MFC-101 Mk. I; it's not the arrival of the AFX III but the fact that I find more utility in the AX8 vs the rack/board, and I've been toying with the idea of selling them for several months now.

I'm very much anticipating the next-gen AX* series, but will be very content, I'm sure, with the AX8 until the next-gen device arrives.

Have to admit that I'd really like an AFX III though...

Back
Top Bottom