Axe-Fx III with Synergy preamp modules and MIDI

@skracus , can you please tell me in detail how you run the in and out levels from the Axe into the Synergy? I'm building a rig that's pretty similar to yours. Thanks in advance.

@skracus , can you please tell me in detail how you run the in and out levels from the Axe into the Synergy? I'm building a rig that's pretty similar to yours. Thanks in advance.
For setting Synergy levels I set up a preset that is nothing more than the loop the Synergy is in (in my case i go out of Output 3 and into Input 3) and a cab block. I use the midi block to change channels on the Syn2's via CC's and set up each scene in the preset to select a different channel of the Syn2's I'm using. I set the levels of each amp module so that they are all level matched at around -12db (slightly hotter for clean channels) and and that's really it. Once the Synergy modules are set I rarely touch them unless I want to alter the tone slightly and when they're set I think of them as more or less a dumbed down version of the amp block and I go about preset creation just as I would if I were using Axe-Fx's amp block. Since all channels of the module are already level set I don't have to use the traditional means of preset leveling using the amp blocks output. In other words if I select my Plexi channel 1 and then go to the SLO Channel 1 or Ecstacy Channel 2 (or any of the 8 available channels) they are already set. I use scene output levels for boosting solo's just as I would in a traditional Axe-Fx preset.

I'd recommend marking the Synergy Module's knobs (especially the level knobs) because they at some point will get moved and you'll need a fast way home when you're at a gig. I've never been one to do much real time midi control over the Axe-Fx amp block or tweak the deep end of the pool so this is really the one disadvantage (barring a tube or mechanical failure) I've found with the Synergy stuff sitting in a rack in place of the amp block. I wish they made all the modules with the detented knobs they used in the Vai module. I didn't care for the Vai module but the knobs made a lot of sense. I've been a while now with this rig and since posting my pics I've added a Fryette power station to the rig just to add a little power amp mojo back in. It was an improvement but a subtle one and probably more noticeable to me than others. A little better feeling under the fingers.

View attachment 61952

Thank you for all your input and very helpful advice. I feel that I owe you guys a 'closure' so here's my rig. The Synergy stuff took almost 3 months to ship (I have to order from Europe because of the voltage). Yes, turning knobs is fun. Midi setup was a breeze. My main task right now is to try to match the tone from the Synergy preamps with the ones in Axe Fx as I am using both in the same presets.
I just connect my syn 2 to the axe effects unit. I use the syn 2 in lieu of amp blocks and pair with whatever IR suits. Best of both worlds.

I use three SYN2’s with the III as the master. The SYN2’s are all in a single loop of the Axe-Fx and I control them with CC’s via the midi block. I still run FRFR and use the Cab Block. Essentially all I did was add a bunch of weight heat and complexity to my rig. Is it better? Completely subjective. I love it but I also still use the amp models on some presets. The midi block works flawlessly and is very quick. I setup a preset to level all the preamps. They have physical knobs so it’s easy to screw up your levels if you’re not paying attention. Once I have them sounding they way I want them to and the levels set I don’t touch them. If I do I go back through the leveling process again. I haven’t bothered to compare the modules to the Axe-FX models. I got the Synergy stuff because I like gear and I like the idea of having some knobs and physical hardware. Prior to getting the Synergy stuff I was using the III by itself without any complaints. I just happen to like gear.View attachment 59097
If you are still running this rig, mind sharing a multi syn 2 preset so I can see how you did the midi?
Thanks

Yes. Still running the rig. I can share a preset once I get the rig set up. It’ll be a day or two. In a nut shell what I’m doing is using the midi block and changing CC#s for each SYN2 per scene so that only one module channel is active at a time. Check out the manual for the SYN2 and it will give you the CC#s for each. I think it’s 56-59 and 60 is bypass. You just assign each SYN2 a midi channel and then send the CC#s per scene. You could also use PC messages but I use scenes and this makes it super simple. I’ll get a preset sent as soon as I have the opportunity.

Yes. Still running the rig. I can share a preset once I get the rig set up. It’ll be a day or two. In a nut shell what I’m doing is using the midi block and changing CC#s for each SYN2 per scene so that only one module channel is active at a time. Check out the manual for the SYN2 and it will give you the CC#s for each. I think it’s 56-59 and 60 is bypass. You just assign each SYN2 a midi channel and then send the CC#s per scene. You could also use PC messages but I use scenes and this makes it super simple. I’ll get a preset sent as soon as I have the opportunity.
No worries. I just somehow got it to work though dumb luck with random PC messages and the learn feature. Pretty easy.

I use three SYN2’s with the III as the master. The SYN2’s are all in a single loop of the Axe-Fx and I control them with CC’s via the midi block. I still run FRFR and use the Cab Block. Essentially all I did was add a bunch of weight heat and complexity to my rig. Is it better? Completely subjective. I love it but I also still use the amp models on some presets. The midi block works flawlessly and is very quick. I setup a preset to level all the preamps. They have physical knobs so it’s easy to screw up your levels if you’re not paying attention. Once I have them sounding they way I want them to and the levels set I don’t touch them. If I do I go back through the leveling process again. I haven’t bothered to compare the modules to the Axe-FX models. I got the Synergy stuff because I like gear and I like the idea of having some knobs and physical hardware. Prior to getting the Synergy stuff I was using the III by itself without any complaints. I just happen to like gear.View attachment 59097
That looks amazing. I have a syn 1 and an fm9. I was wondering if you could give me advice on how to connect them together. I understand it would be through the fractals loop. I'm just not sure exactly how to accomplish that 😅

That looks amazing. I have a syn 1 and an fm9. I was wondering if you could give me advice on how to connect them together. I understand it would be through the fractals loop. I'm just not sure exactly how to accomplish that 😅
The FM9 manual probably has a section on 4cm wiring. That is what this is.

...and as always for a tube power amp sim...

For a tube power amp sim use the amp block post the external preamp with it's input trim lowered and master trim raised, preamp sag off, null tonestack, cathode follower off, preamp bias to taste, plus all the various power section tweaks as desired.

I use a amp model related to the preamp of choice (Marshall with Marshall tube preamp etc), though you don't have to, and you can also try the Tube Pre if not wanting extra "color". Another strategy is to add the Tube Pre's preamp setting to your amp block's tube power section of choice with the the above settings.

The goal is to have the preamp of the clean model as linear as possible since you can't really decouple it in the Axe, and then to hit the power section as desired. I've been doing this since the Ultra days with various tube preamps, works great, especially now with Cygnus!

Note that all tube preamps can benefit from a tube power section or sim, and using a sim eliminates the sweet spot SPL, and weight issues from your rig.

Last edited:
I like the real tube sound of the synergy in the 2CP a bit better than the amp blocks in the Axe 3 but LOVE the effects it gives me

IMG_3151.jpeg
Here’s the rig how it’s been for a couple of years now. Took out one of the SYN2’s because I wasn’t using it enough. Pretty much just using the Plexi Module and the SLO module but the top SYN2 holds a couple Freidman modules that are used sometimes as well. All clean tones are coming from Fender models in the Axe-Fx 3. Added a Fryette Powerstation to give it some power amp mojo. It’s probably the longest running rig configuration I’ve ever used. The only thing I don’t like about it is how it looks sitting on an X Stand.

Nice rig!

I used to use a variety of tube preamps with my AFX2 and FM3, using the AFX2/FM3's amp block as a tube power amp sim which worked well, though to be honest I now typically use the FM3's amp block alone these days (though I still use the tube preamps with the AFX2 B-Rig). The Fractal amp modeling came alive for me with Cygnus, and has continued to improve moving forward.

Back
Top Bottom