Axe-Fx III with MFC-101 (basic setting)

I'll try that tonight and document the procedure if it works.

Again, thanks for all the detailed help!

So, I no longer have my MFC, so, cant test this, but, I think it will have to be something like the following:

For scene select, you would have to set the value to the appropriate scene.

To access Scene 1 from I/A switch 9 setup the following (assuming AXE on midi channel 1):

1. Setup the Scene select MIDI on the AXE III
a. Setup
b. MIDI Remote
c. Page over "Other"
d. Setup a CC number for "Scene Select". In this example, let's use 99.​

2. On the MFC Setup the I/A Switch MIDI CC
a. Check out page 55 of the MFC Manual 12.4.8 IA Switch Control Change (CC#) Settings
b. IA09 c1 CC#99 Ch01
c. Note c1 above means "command 1", which we need to setup next​

3. Setup the MIDI command/Value to send with the I/A switch
a. Check out 12.4.9 IA Switch Control Change ON/OFF Values of the MFC manual
b. IA09 c1 Off127 On00
c. Note: the On00 above should correspond to the scene you wish to access (see table below).​

4. Repeat for each I/A switch you wish to assign, changing the IA switch nubmer and scene Value as appropriate.

CC Values, Scenes.
0 = Scene 1
1 = Scene 2
2 = Scene 3
3 = Scene 4
4 = Scene 5
5 = Scene 6
6 = Scene 7
7 = Scene 8​

5. You may also want to change the switch type to "Momentary" or "Auto Off", this may drive better behavior. Again, as I no longer have an MFC, I can't really test.
a. Check out page 65 of the MFC manual 12.5.10 IA Switch Types
b. EDIT : SETUP : PAGE" (10x)
c. IASw 09 Type MOM​

Please let me know if this works, and we can update the instructions appropriately.
Great job Rob....everything looks works.
I have a little problem...if I press for example switch 6 for scene 0 it's ok and I can press switch 7 for scene 1. But if I want to come back to the scene 0 I need to press the switch 6 twice (firs time to put it in OFF and second time to put it in ON). I tried Momentary and AUTO OFF but nothing change. Do you have suggestions? Thank you

Great job Rob....everything looks works.
I have a little problem...if I press for example switch 6 for scene 0 it's ok and I can press switch 7 for scene 1. But if I want to come back to the scene 0 I need to press the switch 6 twice (firs time to put it in OFF and second time to put it in ON). I tried Momentary and AUTO OFF but nothing change. Do you have suggestions? Thank you

On my MFC I linked my 5 scene IA switches so that only one could be on at the time. Works great.

Im really guessing at this point as I dont have mine to test, but, try two things:

1. The scene select switches should def be set to momentary. Also, try this: "IA09 c1 OffOff On00" instead of "IA09 c1 Off127 On00". (I think Off Off is an option for the c1......)

Also,

2. You may need to link the IA switches together. Check out MFC manual 12.5.14 IA Switch Link Settings.

Link all of the IA switches that you are using for scene select.

EDIT : SETUP : PAGE" (14x)
IA Switch Link Settings is used to set up each of two global groups of mutually exclusive Instant Access Switches.
The !PARAMETER" footswitches move between the Link Group Select (A/B) and the 5 slot parameters for the selected
group.

Im really guessing at this point as I dont have mine to test, but, try two things:

1. The scene select switches should def be set to momentary. Also, try this: "IA09 c1 OffOff On00" instead of "IA09 c1 Off127 On00". (I think Off Off is an option for the c1......)

Also,

2. You may need to link the IA switches together. Check out MFC manual 12.5.14 IA Switch Link Settings.

EDIT : SETUP : PAGE" (14x)
IA Switch Link Settings is used to set up each of two global groups of mutually exclusive Instant Access Switches.
The !PARAMETER" footswitches move between the Link Group Select (A/B) and the 5 slot parameters for the selected
group.
Yes Rob....it's like that!
I put IA-- c1 OffOff On00 and I linked the IA switches and everything works great!!!
I'm very happy, I solved all my problems. Thank you

5. You may also want to change the switch type to "Momentary" or "Auto Off", this may drive better behavior. Again, as I no longer have an MFC, I can't really test.
a. Check out page 65 of the MFC manual 12.5.10 IA Switch Types
b. EDIT : SETUP : PAGE" (10x)
c. IASw 09 Type MOM​
6. You may need to link the IA switches together. Check out MFC manual 12.5.14 IA Switch Link Settings.

Please let me know if this works, and we can update the instructions appropriately.

I will be setting this up on mine in t-minus 30 minutes. Based on comments in the *other* thread about this, I don't think the Momentary is appropriate but I will confirm.

I will be setting this up on mine in t-minus 30 minutes. Based on comments in the *other* thread about this, I don't think the Momentary is appropriate but I will confirm.

So for IA1 through IA5 to be scene selects, I set up as follows. Upon reading the MFC-101 manual, you can't have more than 5 in this setup.

Edit > Setup > IASw 01 Type = TOGGLE
Edit > Setup > IASw 02 Type = TOGGLE
Edit > Setup > IASw 03 Type = TOGGLE
Edit > Setup > IASw 04 Type = TOGGLE
Edit > Setup > IASw 05 Type = TOGGLE
Edit > Setup > LinkA 01 02 03 04 05

Additional setup I did before doing the two configs above:
*** NOTE: I'm listing as many relevant configs as I can here, some may be defaults, some may be able to be tweaked for additional functionality, but for completeness, I'm including what my values are ***

Edit > Setup > SendSwLinkOffMsg = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 01 Send w/Prst = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 02 Send w/Prst = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 03 Send w/Prst = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 04 Send w/Prst = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 05 Send w/Prst = YES
Edit > Setup > IASw 01 Global = NO
Edit > Setup > IASw 02 Global = NO
Edit > Setup > IASw 03 Global = NO
Edit > Setup > IASw 04 Global = NO
Edit > Setup > IASw 05 Global = NO
Edit > Setup > IASw 01 Name = Scene 1
Edit > Setup > IASw 02 Name = Scene 2
Edit > Setup > IASw 03 Name = Scene 3
Edit > Setup > IASw 04 Name = Scene 4
Edit > Setup > IASw 05 Name = Scene 5

Besides these five scene toggles, I also set UP / DOWN to toggle between presets one at a time.

Edit > Setup > BankSize = 0
Edit > Setup > BankStyle = CURRENT
Edit > Setup > FirstPrstSwitch = OFF
Edit > Setup > PerfMode = PRESET

I can add the specific CC/PC config I did to accomplish this, but I primarily followed Rob's steps.

In summary, this config allows me to flip through presets with UP/DOWN, and select one of five scenes in any preset. In my case, Scene 5 is always Mute/Tuner so I changed my Edit > Setup > IASw 05 Name from "Scene 5" to "Tuner", and it switches to the muted scene with c1, and c2 calls up the tuner.

I only use three presets for my live gigs so it works great for me. If you have more presets and toggle between them frequently, you could set those to IA 06 - 10, and set:

Edit > Setup > LinkB 06 07 08 09 10
Edit > Setup > BankSize = 5

Then 1-5 would be scenes, 6-10 would be presets. UP / DOWN would increment the IA6-10 switches by 5 presets at a time.

I plan on setting up my 6-10 for specific block channel toggles (Amp1 Channel A to B, etc.) and block bypasses. (Drive, Comp, etc.) If people need instructions on this, I'm happy to provide details on that too.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Didn't have time to mess with it last night, though I did
use it at rehearsal. For some reason, the Tuner & Scene Inc, Scene Dec.
buttons did not work after I set everything up at rehearsal. They were working
fine at home before I packed up. Only change was a different Midi Cable...

For some reason, the Tuner & Scene Inc, Scene Dec.
buttons did not work after I set everything up at rehearsal.

I can't say this will solve your problem, but I ran into something very similar while dinking around with everything... my toggles stopped working after I changed Edit > MIDI > Axe-Fx TotalSync = OFF. I thought this wouldn't matter for the III, but setting to OFF broke a ton of my functions. Switching it back to ON resolved the issue.

IASw 05 Name from "Scene 5" to "Tuner", and it switches to the muted scene with c1, and c2 calls up the tuner.

Why not just config the TUNER -> CONFIG -> BYPASS = OUTPUT? This mutes the Tuner, no need for a extra "mute Scene".

I plan on setting up my 6-10 for specific block channel toggles (Amp1 Channel A to B, etc.) and block bypasses. (Drive, Comp, etc.) If people need instructions on this, I'm happy to provide details on that too.
As long you change scenes with MFC IA Switches, you will loose synchronisity for all other MFC IA Switches controlling FX Bypass States or Fx Channels (Switch keeps its LED status, FX may change status in other Axe scenes of the current axe preset). IA Switch Send w/ Preset YES means: send status when recall a MFC Preset.

Why not just config the TUNER -> CONFIG -> BYPASS = OUTPUT? This mutes the Tuner, no need for a extra "mute Scene".

As long you change scenes with MFC IA Switches, you will loose synchronisity for all other MFC IA Switches controlling FX Bypass States or Fx Channels (Switch keeps its LED status, FX may change status in other Axe scenes of the current axe preset). IA Switch Send w/ Preset YES means: send status when recall a MFC Preset.

For my purpose the tuner is totally fine the way I'm doing it, but you're right, you could use tuner by setting bypass. I prefer it down on 5 for now, so no biggie for me.

As for the IA, yeah, that's going to be an issue, but not much you can do about it with MFC, correct?

Back
Top Bottom