Axe Fx III with Eventide Eclipse

Felicidade1

Hi! I'll be receiving an Eventide Eclipse soon and am thinking of connecting it to the AxeFX3 using AES. Looking at the I/O it seems that AES output and input are only limited to 1 and 2 (unless I'm not reading the manual right). Would love to hear from anyone with similar experience with connecting external hardware. Thanks in advance!

I run ins & outs through AES, that get converted to and from DANTE. It all works awesome. I can use the Axe FX III as an effects unit, a amp head, power section only, whatever. Everything can go digital out and back, without issue. I can push everything to my JP-2C at any layer I need to...just cab, input, fx loop, whatever. Everything needs to run 48khz, but that’s good enough for my purposes.

Ok. Eventide Eclipse arrived. Racked it up. Connected Axe FX III Output 2 (AES/EBU) to Eclipse AES Input. Eclipse Analog Out (TRS cables) to Axe FX III's Input 2. A bit annoyed simply because I just found out that I could only assign AES/EBU to input 1 on the Axe Fx III. Or am I missing something?

Also, I've been reading the Eventide Eclipse manual trying to figure out how to bypass the presets via MIDI message from Axe FX III (MIDI Block). So far no luck with how to use the External Controllers.

I believe I'm not the only one on this forum with running an Eclipse alongside the Axe Fx III. I will be eternally grateful if someone could offer some advice/instructions for this lost sheep.

one trick you can do with the eclipse, is instead of bypassing presets, just use midi mapping to select an empty one. you can then reduce the volume of that empty preset by about 3db, so it matches the volume of other presets with stuff in. i had an eclipse for a few years and absolutely loved it. it's a wonderful sounding processor.

A bit annoyed simply because I just found out that I could only assign AES/EBU to input 1 on the Axe Fx III. Or am I missing something?

Right. Not possible to use both“SPDIF IN “ and “SPDIF OUT” together. I was trying the same thing to connect Axe III and a Kemper.

one trick you can do with the eclipse, is instead of bypassing presets, just use midi mapping to select an empty one. you can then reduce the volume of that empty preset by about 3db, so it matches the volume of other presets with stuff in. i had an eclipse for a few years and absolutely loved it. it's a wonderful sounding processor.

Thanks for the tip, Simeon. I have tried this method. The only drawback is the slight lag switching presets. It's not that bad but after using the Axe Fx III, well you know...

Hello!
Do you have your Eclipse presets? 😊

I’ve always loved the presets in the Eclipse, but is there anything it does that the Axe can’t or at least get like 95% there? One preset I wanted to recreate is Angelic Echoes but I didn’t have any luck.

I’ve always loved the presets in the Eclipse, but is there anything it does that the Axe can’t or at least get like 95% there? One preset I wanted to recreate is Angelic Echoes but I didn’t have any luck.
I still have an Eclipse in my analog rig (JP2C/AFX2/Eclipse) and that is also my favorite preset that I have never been able to properly replicate either.

Why did you sell it?

I have an Eclipse in my Marshall rig rack, too. My favorite preset is 444 Chorus/Delay/Verb with light tweaks and mix set at ~30%. For me, it was "on" all the time as the basis for my ideal 80's tone. I haven't been able to get close to that sound with the A3.

Honestly, I've been determined to ween myself from it, but I still miss it at times. It adds color, depth, and width to a mono setup that sounds like a glorious stereo rig. Great for a mono FOH configurations

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom