Axe-Fx III - Why use SPDIF?

Not necessarily.

In my environment I use converters and stage boxes which accept concurrent connections of devices which run at different (!) sample rates. Therefore I don‘t have to care about the sample rates of devices used simultaneously on stage or in a project. I am able to run devices at, say 96 kHz, together with „slow“ devices at, say 48 kHz.

And - best of all - without any DA/AD conversion in between.

For example:
https://rme-audio.de/de_adi-192-dd.html
That's a fantastic setup.

That few have access to, I suspect. :D

Do you have coax to TOSLink converters on all your Axe-Fx's in this setup? Or do you use AES?

Typically, I use only AES/EBU because it covers a wide range. S/PDIF does not. If any device does not offer an AES output I use an AES to S/PDIF converter.
Range does matter. 😉

AES signals can be sent over a normal conventional multicore (!) as well, which I practice regularly on stages. So in fact, this type of connection is very flexible in every way.
S/PDIF signals I use, if ever, only in short distance connections or „on the fly“ in my studio.

Generally speaking, I try to keep in the digital domain as far as possible.
My own PA is setup that I do not leave digital domain from my guitar(s) to the PA speakers at all.

It might just be me and the few friends I have had over to listen but I (we) simply cannot hear a difference between using the AES, S/PDIF or analog connections. We tried all combinations using my Axe-Fx III, RME UFX, Allen&Heath QU-24, Adam A7s, and CLRs and my old ears could not perceive any differences from one connection to the other. The younger ears in the room had no clue either. YMMV

For me it's like trying to tell the difference between a millionth of a second and a billionth of a second. Is there a difference... yes... will you ever notice it.... no. I love the S/PDIF connection purely as convenience.

I run my Axe III in SPIDIF to my Scarlett 6i6. I was wondering how those that run in SPIDIF set their input level at. I cant go much higher than 5% before I start getting in the yellow. I also notice that at 0% input level I literally have no noise. the more input level is increased the more noise I get. Is this normal where should input level be? Thanks

I run my Axe III in SPIDIF to my Scarlett 6i6. I was wondering how those that run in SPIDIF set their input level at. I cant go much higher than 5% before I start getting in the yellow. I also notice that at 0% input level I literally have no noise. the more input level is increased the more noise I get. Is this normal where should input level be? Thanks

With my Saffire Pro 14:
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.51.34 AM.png

How do you physically connect S/PDIF to the Focusrite?

My Axe-FX S/PDIF connectors are RCA but the Scarlett's is Toslink. Sweetwater couldn't find a cable product to connect the two. What can I do?

I want to reamp Axe-FX in Logic.

My system:
Macbook Pro, 2015 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro. Catalina
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
DKFH
Axe FX II
Scarlett 1818
Headphones/KRK Rokit

I see you mention having the 18i8. AFAIK all three generations of Scarlett 18i8 have RCA I/O for S/PDIF as well as an Optical (Toslink) input. I don't see any need for the converter.

What do you have your input level on your Axe on under the I/O tab? Also, what is your wiring above? I run my 2 monitors into my 6i6. then SPDIF to Axe.
Input settings have nothing to do with output settings. Changing that input level doesn't change the output level. See: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Connections_and_levels#Main_input_level

My connection is Axe-Fx III or FM3 or AX8 SPDIF out --> Pro 14 SPDIF in. This is for monitoring only. Recording is done over USB from the device. Focusrite is a glorified mixer that happens to be able to mix mutiple digital streams into my monitors. Honestly, I'd ditch it for an interface that had multiple TOSLink or RCA SPDIF connections and let me mix in audio from my computer in a heartbeat. I don't use the analog ins on it at all.

I have (for home "studio"):
  • AxeFxIII into Audio Interface via spdif.
  • Output from Audio Interface: 2 Yamaha HS8 Monitors / 2 Mesa 112 Guitar Cabs (via 2x EHX Magnum 44 MicroAmps) / 2 Atomic FRCabs (via matrix GT1000Fx) / 1 Combo Amp FX Return
  • Audio Interface connected to a strong Mac via Usb2 - My Audio interface can do "stand alone" without active connection to any computer (I can turn on 1 switch (for Axe/Interface/Monitors) and play - easy.

Why Spdif?
Pro:
  • Reduces the number of A/D D/A conversions to help minimize latency, connection issues, balancing issues
  • To Fully Utilize the input capacity of my interface (8in/8out analogue) + an additional 2in/2out if I use digital.
  • Simple, Consistant, Trouble Free

Con
  • some loss of control (i.e. levels).
  • If you AI has compatibility issues, spdif can be trouble.

Im trying to set up my axe iii with pro tools and my scarlet 6i6 and am having trouble. Can anyone walk me through it?

right now I have the ins and out of the axe connected to the scarlet with spdif cables. pro tools set as the scarlett for playback engine. How do I get the DI signal to a track? do I even need the USB connected from the axe fx at this point since I'm using spdif?

What inputs and outputs do I choose for each track within pro tools to record the wet track, DI track and to reamp?

Any help is greatly appreciated

You can’t capture the stereo wet and DI signal at the same time using SPDIF. It’s only a stereo feed. To do that use the USB connection.

in the past I think I just ran an instrument cable from another out on the axe to the front of the interface for the Dry track. but what I'm not figuring out is what ins and outs to choose for the dry track and reamp track in order to route the DI track back through the axe and to the reamp track. that's where I'm stuck.

I think my scarlett mix control is what is screwed up. Im not sure how to set that up properly. the manual is like reading another language.

Last edited:
If anyone is willing to PM me and walk me through it I would really appreciate it. Ive been stuck on this for 3 days now. sorry to hijack the thread.

I guess I'll check this out. Never did after all these years. All my projects are 44.1\24 but that can change if I like the results.
Just have to see how much it changes what I do and also if I can hear an "actual" difference with my ears, not some analytical device.

I'll repost my setup in here in case it helps somebody out:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/using-axe-fx-3-w-another-interface.155826/post-1855396

I do pretty much the same thing as OP. Makes for super easy DI captures and re-amping. USB from Axe is used only for Axe Edit

Code:
Countryman Type85 DI → Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen → USB → Computer
                         ↓  ↑                           ↑
                        S/PDIF                          ⎮
                         ↓  ↑                           ⎮
                        Axe FX III → USB ───────────────┘

later on in that thread you can see how I've got things set up on the AxeFX. This is by far the most flexible configuration I've found, and no unnecessary AD/DA conversion

Reactions: APE
It turns out I do not need any adapter to connect Scarlett 18i8 and Axe-Fx II. The Scarlett 18i8 (2nd gen) and Axe-Fx II both use the same connector. I just ordered 2 SPDIF cables from Sweetwater. Please advise. Questions in orange. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

(It also might be easier to buy some software guitar processors for Logic or ProTools.)

I want to set routing for a track to a different channel so that I can monitor processed signal and record processed signal and dry signal.

I'm using the I/O panel. Does this look right? How does it route the signal to another track?

Code:
+-------------------------------+
| Axe                           | ⭢USB⭢ +
+-------------------------------+        ⭣
⭣                   ⭣        ↑          |
⭣                   ⭣        ↑          |
⭣TRS                ⭣ SPDIF  ↑          |
+-------------------------------+         U
| 18i8                          |         S
+-------------------------------+         B
  |                                       |
USB                                       |
  ⭣                                      |
+-------------------------------+        ⭣
| Mac 🖥                        | ⭠USB⭠ +
+-------------------------------+

+----------------------------------+
   | Logic                            |
   |                                  |
   |+---------------------------------|       +-----------------------+
   || 1. Dry G                        | ----> | I/O Panel             |
   |+---------------------------------|       | Output: 5/6           |
   +----------------------------------+       |                       |
                                              | Input: 5/6            |
                                              +-----------------------+

Logic:
0) Preferences > Audio > Input and Output: Scarlett 18i8
1) New Audio Track, Track 1
2) In the Mixer, Track 1, choose Audio FX > Utility > I/O > Stereo
3) I/O panel pops up.
4) In I/O panel, choose input and output as 5-6? For SPDIF? What do I choose here?

18i8 front.png

Audio FX > Utility > I/O > Stereo
1586985158471.png

I/O Panel
1586986341557.png

Last edited:
4) In I/O panel, choose input and output as 5-6? For SPDIF? What do I choose here?

You have the AxeFX usb connected to your Mac? If so, choose the AxeFX as the input/output device, not the Scarlett. Then Input 5 will be your dry signal. Inputs 1&2 will be the wet signal.

Output will go to your AxeFX. If instead you want the output to go to the Scarlett, create an aggregate device that combines the Scarlett and the AxeFX and choose that aggregate as your I/O device.

I wouldn't bother with Aggregate devices. They're super janky.

So the way you have it, with Guitar going into Input 1 in the Scarlett, you'll need to use the Focusrite software to route Input 1 directly to S/PDIF Out. This shouldn't interfere with your DAW's ability to record on Input 1 at the same time. Here's how I have it set (from my other post):

TeyZRXf.png

Once that's in place, create two tracks. Set the first to "Input 1" to record the dry signal. Set the second to whatever Input # your S/PDIF signal is. Make sure your clocking is set right. Either:
  • Scarlett set to Internal and AxeFX set to External S/PDIF or
  • Scarlett set to External S/PDIF and AxeFX set to Internal
Then make sure your project's sample rate is 48K, and you should be ready to roll.

Lemme see if I can whip up some screenshots for Logic for you

Back
Top Bottom