Axe-Fx III - Why use SPDIF?

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out the best solution for:
  • Recording my Axe iii
  • Being able to use my PC without the Axe needing to always be on
  • Being able to use my Axe without PC on
I have a Saffire Focusrite Pro 14 and Adam A7x FRFR studio monitors.

I'm aware that using the Axe as an interface definitely has advantages and am considering it - I would just swap and change some cables around if I wanted to use my PC without the Axe on and vice versa.

I don't currently own any SDPIF cables so before I buy a couple, I wanted to make sure I needed them and they wouldn't end up thrown to the side and unused.

What're the benefits of using SPDIF connections over using two XLRs going from the AXE output 1 to my interface inputs? (I already have these cables). I understand that SPDIF would mean not having to swap around any cables - I can use my interface in standalone mode too if I want to play without the PC on. Does that justify spending more money though?

I see this video on YT - 'Axe-Fx With Other Interface ~ The Best Setup ~ Digital SPDIF Loop Reamping' and he's using two SPDIF cables as a loop - do any of you do this?

Just trying to find the right setup. Thanks.

I use my Axe in conjunction with my Digi003 interface. I run spdif from my Axe into the Digi simply to cut out an unnecessary D/A and A/D conversion. hooking it up this way means I do not need to keep my Axe on in order to use my PC, nor do I need to keep my PC on to use my axe.
In order to not have to keep your PC on though you would need to either only monitor your Axe through the headphone jack on the front of the unit, or have a pair of monitors hooked directly up to the Axe. Truthfully if I want to play through monitors I always just go through my PC and protools out to my monitors. If I just feel like doing some quick noodling then I just plug my headphones into the front headphone jack and go.

I use my Axe in conjunction with my Digi003 interface. I run spdif from my Axe into the Digi simply to cut out an unnecessary D/A and A/D conversion. hooking it up this way means I do not need to keep my Axe on in order to use my PC, nor do I need to keep my PC on to use my axe.
In order to not have to keep your PC on though you would need to either only monitor your Axe through the headphone jack on the front of the unit, or have a pair of monitors hooked directly up to the Axe. Truthfully if I want to play through monitors I always just go through my PC and protools out to my monitors. If I just feel like doing some quick noodling then I just plug my headphones into the front headphone jack and go.

Spdif all the way.
The biggest bonus is you never have to worry that your left and right signals aren’t matched in volume and you’ll be line level without clipping as long as you Axe fx isn’t clipping.

Thanks, do you use only one SPDIF cable from the 'Out' of the Axe to the 'In' of the Interface? I'm unsure what the difference is between just using one cable or and running a loop with two cables like so:

Out from Axe into interface
Out from Interface into Axe

My interface has a standalone mode which means I can use it with the PC off - I assume this works ok with SPDIF but not 100% sure.

Is it an RCA connection on the Axe iii?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you run both in and out you can then reamp using digital connections. If your have no need for reamping then just the out would be fine.

While an rca cable will work, you really want to get a proper spdif cable.

If you run both in and out you can then reamp using digital connections. If your have no need for reamping then just the out would be fine.

While an rca cable will work, you really want to get a proper spdif cable.

I've just seen in another thread that you are locked at 48kHz within your DAW with SPDIF. Is that true?

The cable I'm looking at is a 'SPDIF Digital Audio Video Coaxial Cable. RCA to RCA. Van Damme 75ohm Coax Phono'. RCA is the connection right?

Last edited:
I've just seen in another thread that you are locked at 48kHz within your DAW with SPDIF. Is that true?

The cable I'm looking at is a 'SPDIF Digital Audio Video Coaxial Cable. RCA to RCA. Van Damme 75ohm Coax Phono'
Yes. Spdif is 48k only on the III however, I believe most modern DAWS and interface can convert on the fly...at least my Apollo’s can...

Last edited:
48k Axe fx into a 48k set interface into a 48k daw.

Does that mean I can’t set Cubase to 44.1 and record my Axe fx?
Nope, not a problem.

I also use mine hooked via SPDIF to the Focusrite 18i20, I initially thought I'd get "better tone", since I am avoiding one AD conversion, but never noted any actual benefit (neither spent much time comparing them)

One thing I lost with SPDIF is the ability to alter the output of the AXE FX easily, and must do it on the interface controller. Not a big deal, but would prefer just having to turn a knob.

How do you physically connect S/PDIF to the Focusrite?

My Axe-FX S/PDIF connectors are RCA but the Scarlett's is Toslink. Sweetwater couldn't find a cable product to connect the two. What can I do?

I want to reamp Axe-FX in Logic.

My system:
Macbook Pro, 2015 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro. Catalina
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
DKFH
Axe FX II
Scarlett 1818
Headphones/KRK Rokit

How do you physically connect S/PDIF to the Focusrite?

My Axe-FX S/PDIF connectors are RCA but the Scarlett's is Toslink. Sweetwater couldn't find a cable product to connect the two. What can I do?

I want to reamp Axe-FX in Logic.

My system:
Macbook Pro, 2015 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Macbook Pro. Catalina
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
DKFH
Axe FX II
Scarlett 1818
Headphones/KRK Rokit
You can get a little converter box on amazon for $14.98. Has both connectors on input and output.

What're the benefits of using SPDIF connections over using two XLRs going from the AXE output 1 to my interface inputs?
Using S/PDIF or AES/EBU you don‘t leave the digital domain at all.

Using the analog XLRs you have a DA conversion on the output of the AXE followed by an AD conversion on the next device in the signal chain. These are two completely avoidable conversions which give you absolutely no benefits, only disadvantages.

They’re beneficial if you want to run your project at something other than 48 kHz ;)
Not necessarily.

In my environment I use converters and stage boxes which accept concurrent connections of devices which run at different (!) sample rates. Therefore I don‘t have to care about the sample rates of devices used simultaneously on stage or in a project. I am able to run devices at, say 96 kHz, together with „slow“ devices at, say 48 kHz.

And - best of all - without any DA/AD conversion in between.

For example:
https://rme-audio.de/de_adi-192-dd.html

You can get a little converter box on amazon for $14.98. Has both connectors on input and output.
A converter box? Is this it:— Amazon product ASIN B06XCTGZFT —?

What cables would I need with that? How would I connect the ins and outs to the Scarlett and the Axe-FX?

Is there a cable that will do it all, or do I need the box. This cable looks like it would almost work:—
Amazon product ASIN B07V6C8LWB— except only 1 almost-RCA looking shaped connector, but the Axe-FX has two and a bit different; more like RCA.

The amazon links I put up are not working for me at all in Brave.

I’m my case, I was simply out of analog connections to my interface. I have a little too much gear going into my Apollo X8, and the axefxIII kind of saved my ass. I use all 4 inputs. Input 1 is my main input I use when I use the fractal models to record. Input 2 is coming from the Fryette power station which I use to load down real guitar amps. That goes straight to a cab block and out. Inputs 3 and 4 are Slate mic pres for LDC and SDC modeling mics. All converts in the fractal and all shoots into my Apollo and then my DAW spdif. I’m VERY grateful for those connections. I’d need another interface if I didn’t have it.

Back
Top Bottom