Axe-Fx III wait list: Let us know when you get notified...

What are your needs and how do you wish to use it?

Thanks for the question! Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread for this conversation, I know people here are primarily interested in the waitlist times. I'm the lead guitar in a band that plays a reasonably wide variety of rock covers from various decades, as well as a few originals. We play out probably once or twice a month, with a good number of acoustic duo gigs thrown in for good measure, probably more of those than with the full band actually. Currently I'm running a Strat into an Egnater Renegade 2x12, with a pedalboard that has a few things before the amp, and a few things in the FX loop. I take the pedalboard to both acoustic and full band gigs, but the Egnater only comes out when the band is playing. On acoustic gigs I play a Taylor into a ToneBone PZ-Pre, with the same pedals attached to the PZ-Pre before and in the FX loop, then the PZ-Pre direct into the Mixer.

The band practices in my basement with the guitar amps miked up at pretty low volumes, our drummer playing on an electric kit, and all of us listening through headphones on a 24.4.2 Presonus Mixer. A couple of kids under 5 asleep limits the volume levels ;-). At first the Axe FX would most likely be primarily used for these practices, as well as for new color palettes when writing/recording originals. I'm also kinda excited about the prospect of trying to get guitar tones really close to the original tones used on the songs we're covering. If I had some success there it would be pretty tough not to then take it out to gigs. I guess at that point I'd have to invest in a decent MIDI controller footswitch as well. Initially I'd probably run it in front of the Egnater (i.e. in the FX Loop Return), and then as my addiction to Fractal grew perhaps eventually I'd think about getting a full FRFR setup.

The pedal board is a relatively recent acquisition, and I suppose I started seriously thinking about the Fractal as my pedal collection started growing, since it would be much more versatile and would essentially replace it. I believe in buying the best that you can afford, hence jumping on the waitlist for the III.

I'd add a link to a gig we played over New Years but I haven't posted 10 times yet so I'm not allowed. If you're bored, you can search for Two Rocks Rye on You Tube. The playlist at Blueprint Brewing Co. is probably a good example of my/our sound :).

Thanks again!

That feeling you get when you realize the joke you made last month about getting your Axe FX III by Thanksgiving wasn't actually a joke. Was the roll-out for the II this bad? Someone tell me this has improved since the last time.
Seems about the same.Except probably more buyers this time?

Get a used XL+ for around $1350. Insanely good product, and save over $1000 vs the III, and get it delivered by the end of the week.
Thanks for the question! Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread for this conversation, I know people here are primarily interested in the waitlist times. I'm the lead guitar in a band that plays a reasonably wide variety of rock covers from various decades, as well as a few originals. We play out probably once or twice a month, with a good number of acoustic duo gigs thrown in for good measure, probably more of those than with the full band actually. Currently I'm running a Strat into an Egnater Renegade 2x12, with a pedalboard that has a few things before the amp, and a few things in the FX loop. I take the pedalboard to both acoustic and full band gigs, but the Egnater only comes out when the band is playing. On acoustic gigs I play a Taylor into a ToneBone PZ-Pre, with the same pedals attached to the PZ-Pre before and in the FX loop, then the PZ-Pre direct into the Mixer.

The band practices in my basement with the guitar amps miked up at pretty low volumes, our drummer playing on an electric kit, and all of us listening through headphones on a 24.4.2 Presonus Mixer. A couple of kids under 5 asleep limits the volume levels ;-). At first the Axe FX would most likely be primarily used for these practices, as well as for new color palettes when writing/recording originals. I'm also kinda excited about the prospect of trying to get guitar tones really close to the original tones used on the songs we're covering. If I had some success there it would be pretty tough not to then take it out to gigs. I guess at that point I'd have to invest in a decent MIDI controller footswitch as well. Initially I'd probably run it in front of the Egnater (i.e. in the FX Loop Return), and then as my addiction to Fractal grew perhaps eventually I'd think about getting a full FRFR setup.

The pedal board is a relatively recent acquisition, and I suppose I started seriously thinking about the Fractal as my pedal collection started growing, since it would be much more versatile and would essentially replace it. I believe in buying the best that you can afford, hence jumping on the waitlist for the III.

I'd add a link to a gig we played over New Years but I haven't posted 10 times yet so I'm not allowed. If you're bored, you can search for Two Rocks Rye on You Tube. The playlist at Blueprint Brewing Co. is probably a good example of my/our sound :).

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

So you may get many differing opinions here-but I think the short of it is if you’re willing to wait the III it would certainly meet all your needs, but understand that there are no foot controllers for it yet - and while they will be released at some point this year no one knows exactly when yet. You can configure a generic midi foot controller to work with the three but it’s not optimized.

I currently use the II XL+ with a MFC 101 mk3 foot controller. Still sounds great! And that current prices, probably a hell of a deal.

Alternatively there is AX8, all in 1 Modeler plus the foot control. It has limited CPU so you may not be able to organize as many effects and amplifiers as you can on the two (or three).

If you’re willing to wait, get the three for $2500 (or buy it now for $3500),

Otherwise pick up a heavily discounted Axefx2 for about $1400 (plus some ability to control it with your feet). Or an Axe8 which fits in your backpack.

Best of luck and good wishes.

Last edited:
That feeling you get when you realize the joke you made last month about getting your Axe FX III by Thanksgiving wasn't actually a joke. Was the roll-out for the II this bad? Someone tell me this has improved since the last time.

I don't think this roll out is all that bad, considering. When the iPhone 6 Plus was released, I had one ordered within 4 minutes of the midnight opening (I'm not an Apple fan boy, I just happened to be up and able to order one). I didn't receive the phone for nearly 2 months due to demand.

I was on the wait list for the Axe FX III at 11:00AM EST on day one, and my III arrives tomorrow - Just over a month from launch.
Compared with when I bought my Axe FX II XL+ in 2016 (after it had been out for over a year):

5/9/2016 - Waitlist confirmation
6/10/2016 - Invitation to buy and ordered
6/13/2016 - shipped
6/20/2016 - Arrived.

So, just over a month for a year old product.

It was about the same, it's only the "whining" has been perfected to disrespectful level. Unprecedented to likes of which anyone has ever seen.

It's been quite an entertaining thread to follow at the expense of others. =:·)

Fractal could have announced the Axe FX III as "Coming this December", and then just waited until they had a plethora of units ready to ship.

And everyone, that's simply not the way manufacturing works.

Nobody stockpiles inventory and then "releases" outside of entertainment/media, and that's usually because only one or two production runs may ever be ordered for a book, a Blu-Ray, or a video game, and the whole distribution model is built around a big bang.

Waitlist confirmation: Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:40 MST.
Invitation to purchase: Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:20 MST.
Phew, glad that's over! And I appreciate the immediate follow-up call from Mark in LA!

FAS, for future product launches (cough, FC, cough, cough), please consider changing the time of the announcement to something later in the day, such as 12 noon EST. The idea would be to eliminate the unfair advantage of a prospective buyer at 9AM EST vs another prospective buyer at 6AM PST.
I'm two minutes away... Really hoping to get my invite today.

I don't think this roll out is all that bad, considering. When the iPhone 6 Plus was released, I had one ordered within 4 minutes of the midnight opening (I'm not an Apple fan boy, I just happened to be up and able to order one). I didn't receive the phone for nearly 2 months due to demand.

I was on the wait list for the Axe FX III at 11:00AM EST on day one, and my III arrives tomorrow - Just over a month from launch.
Compared with when I bought my Axe FX II XL+ in 2016 (after it had been out for over a year):

5/9/2016 - Waitlist confirmation
6/10/2016 - Invitation to buy and ordered
6/13/2016 - shipped
6/20/2016 - Arrived.

So, just over a month for a year old product.

When I went to order an AxeFxII, I got my wait list reply on 1/17/2014 at 12:56pmEST. There was an issue with my purchase invite, and I didn't get the right one until 3/1/2014 10:10amEST. 8 weeks later.

Somewhere around then or shortly after the IIXL was announced, so I got on that list instead, on 3/19/2014 6:55pmEST. My invite for that came on 4/7/2014 12:45pmEST, 2.5 weeks later. At 2:02pmEST the same day, another email was received saying that my invite was sent in error, again. They said my invite should arrive sometime early May. On 5/7/2014 10:27amEST I received my invite for the IIXL, "no mistakes this time."

During all that time, I didn't offload any gear as I had gigs booked and never knew when my number would be called. When it did, I still had to rob Peter to pay Paul a bit to afford the IIXL, which was full price, $2,500. I finally ordered it on 5/26/2014 11:34pmEST.

4 months, 9 days later.

Luckily I was on the wait list for the III at 10:52amEST on 1/29, and received mine last week.

Every excruciating minute spent waiting was exponentially worth it. This has been single handedly the best musical purchase I have ever made. To anyone that is complaining about how long it is taking FAS to get to your invite, all I can say is be patient, it will be well worth it.

I gotta stop checking this link. I was a slacker and signed up on 2/4. Keep hoping it will jump days into the list and it is moving by minutes...guess I will be able to use Axe Edit III and the FC when I get my Axe III ...sometime in the fall. Isn't there some adage about waiting makes something er' other better?!

I gotta stop checking this link. I was a slacker and signed up on 2/4. Keep hoping it will jump days into the list and it is moving by minutes...guess I will be able to use Axe Edit III and the FC when I get my Axe III ...sometime in the fall. Isn't there some adage about waiting makes something er' other better?!

I'm a super slacker I didn't sign up until 4/1.... :( It will probably be 2020 before I get my invitation.

At least I have my AX8 to tide me over. :)

Waitlist Confirmation Monday January 29th 2018 9:47am MST
Invitation to Purchase Tuesday April 10th 1:37pm MDT

Glad I checked spam folder. Even though previous emails from Fractal would go to my gmail Inbox, this one landed in spam.

I waited 5 months on the first Axe-Fx II waitlist. This one wasn't that bad, even though I read through the full III announcement and specs before I emailed the waitlist.

Ordering soon...

Got on the waitlist 1/29 at 11:55 EST

Received invitation 4/10

I’m not sure if I will order. Realistically my AX8 is a much better fit for me. But then curiosity killed the cat :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom