Axe-Fx III Vs other Axe-Fx units

The FM3 is to the AXE FX III, what the Helix LT is to the Helix.
Well, not quite. The Helix LT has the exact processing power as the Helix floor unit. So it would be more accurate to say that the FM3 is to the Axe III what HX Stomp is to the Helix. Just bump the whole scenario up a few notches in processing power, since the Helix is about the same, DSP wise, as the AX8 to start with. o_O

In short:
Axe FX 3 sounds slightly better than AX8. Allows more instances of effects, some new effects, has more in/out ports and other features you might not need.
AX8 is discontinued and FM3 (Which is a tiny, a lot less powerful Axe FX 3 (sounds the same)) will be released at a not disclosed time. All we know is "Soon".
Though, you can find used AX8's to buy.
slightly? You should get a II out and listen again.

slightly? You should get a II out and listen again.

In a blind test, people fail to hear a difference between an Axe FX 2 and a real amp. Also, they fail to hear a difference between an Axe FX 3 and a real amp. It logically follows, that it's hard to hear a difference between Axe FX 2 and Axe FX 3.
There is a difference, sure. Axe FX 3 has more oversampling (I think?), and there were a few improvements since the firmware freeze for Axe 2, but to call the difference between the two anything more than "Slight" would be nothing more than an exaggeration.

In a blind test, people fail to hear a difference between an Axe FX 2 and a real amp. Also, they fail to hear a difference between an Axe FX 3 and a real amp. It logically follows, that it's hard to hear a difference between Axe FX 2 and Axe FX 3.
There is a difference, sure. Axe FX 3 has more oversampling (I think?), and there were a few improvements since the firmware freeze for Axe 2, but to call the difference between the two anything more than "Slight" would be nothing more than an exaggeration.
I don’t think that proves no difference heard or felt between a 2 and 3 by someone playing it themselves.

I wouldn’t call the difference “slight” for anyone experienced with guitar. Someone just starting, maybe.

I played the AX8 for a long time at a gig with a partner. The first time I brought the 3, with the same types of sounds like always, a few songs in my partner turned to me and said “wow that sounds way better. I can tell there more clarity and the tone is just better. Wow!”

He wasn’t even playing the thing and could tell.

I doubt the sonic (or otherwise) difference between the units comes down to a guess- even at the consumer level. It wouldn’t be a good business model. No one would buy or spend the money to “upgrade”.

To the OP.....just get the iii if you can afford it and you will never have to look back or ask yourself "maybe I should have gone for the iii" ;)

Once, I had a friend who had fender reissue bassman and it sounded really good. I was playing a matchless clubman at the time and the bassman held its own admirably beside it. But then, we ran across a real 59 bassman and it was like a different amp. It was not so much that it sounded different; it did...just slightly sweeter on the top...but it felt slightly different too. The gain structure seemed slightly different. The note attack was slightly different. It would break up slightly earlier and softer. It seemed that the bottom broke up in a slightly different way than the top as compared to the reissue. It just seemed to breath in a slightly different way. It wasn't one major thing but lots of very slightly different things that made for a playing experience that was imediately noticeable. The effect was much less noticeable if you were just standing there listening but with the guitar in your hand it was a wow moment. We both preferred the old one to the reissue.

The point is... its the playing experience that counts.

With the II, the experience is good.

I did a gig as a guest not too long ago where a marshall tube combo amp was provided...don't remember which model but it was a newer one, and it sucked like a hoover compared to the axeII. Not that it sounded bad, but it just didn't sound or feel nearly as good. I would have much prefered my axeII over this amp any day. Now, I have an old marshall 50 watt head that I love and when I compare that to the axeII, its sort of like the bassman ordeal, with the old marshall being just slightly better. I can match the sound almost exactly, but the attack, bounce, ect. is just slightly more "organic" (for lack of a better description) with the marshall. The marshall is a better playing experience, at least for me. You may get a different story from spectators that get hit in the face with the massive volume levels that acompany my marshally nirvana.

So that's why we now have the AxeIII. It's really quite simple. It's the next step in conquering the very slight nuances that make all the difference.

Wow! I did not think I was going to get this many reply’s back lol and thank you guys so much! when I heard you can only dual amp which I am thinking that means having one amp on the left channel and another amp on the right that had me sold on the axe iii I appreciate all the comments back guys definitely going to get the axe iii some one also said every effect is not going to be in the fm3 which is another, so thanks guys and every one that left a comment thank you again for changing my mind thinking I could save some money lol

People who take the blind test?
I've seen quite a few blind tests on the forum and youtube, and it's always the same thing: For the most part, those who participate are just guessing.

I get what you are saying, but to me the differences to the player are much more than "slight". There is a definite touch sensitivity, immediacy, and dynamic feel that was immediately evident to me upon the first chords. I kept the AX8 for about a year after getting the AxeIII because of the portability factor, but every time I played the two, I greatly preferred the Axe III.

But I agree, the differences to the listener, especially in a band context, are slight and hard to discern.

@MesaMitch I have an ax8 and the Ax III. I still use the Ax8 for most of my live gigs and I plan on keeping my Ax8 as long as I can. Bottom line: the Ax8 is an incredible tool for working musicians because it contains more great amp models and effects than most of us will ever need. The models sound incredibly accurate and the effects are professional grade. It’s also great for traveling gigs as it can fit in a back pack. HOWEVER, IMO the AxIII is the best amp modeler/effects unit available today. It’s a truly incredible musical tool for guitar players. To my ear, the models sound more realistic and when I use the Ax III live I do notice more articulation, especially in the high gain amp models. It has much more processing power so you can use a lot more effects and create incredibly complex signal chains. For me, it’s an incredible recording tool since you can plug it straight into your computer and achieve incredible results without amps, mics, etc. I will check out the FM3 when it comes out Since it looks like it may be a more compact but more powerful version of the Ax3.

To me the biggest issue the AX8 has is the latency in preset switching, yes the 3 sounds a bit better but the differences are not worth the big price difference purely soundwise, you get a lot more in the 3 on other things which for me makes the prices difference fair.

I have The 3, have the AX8 and had the 2, all 3 units are great on their own.

Personally, in terms of realism in amp modelling (tone, feel and response) I think the 3 is much better than the 2.

It’ll only get better.

Hi! Every one thank you for everyone’s input I purchased a axe fx iii on Saturday now just gotta wait for it to get here, I gotta stop buying gear at least for a while lol I appreciate every ones comments and reply’s back and thanks for the help ! Awesome forum thanks guys I hope everyone has wonderful day everyone !

So i got my axe fx iii today and i love it! i thought i was going to end up returning it and keeping my kemper, but this thing blows the kemper out of the water! gotta put my kemper up for sale now, i also thought the stock irs where going to be terrible as well but actually no they are really good

Thanks every one who helped me out i truly appreciate it!

Its not an idiot question, but it isnt a smart one either lol

I just saw you got the axe 3 .... gREAT choice and as a kemper fan, its got all the tone of a kemper plus a lot more

Wow. So what aspects of the III do you prefer over the Kemper?
The feel is just incredible to be honest it feels a lot more like you are in front of a amp playing it 2nd I hate because with the kemper you have to keep on searching for profiles and that gets real boring real quick or disappointing because you cant find a profile on a amp that some one tweaked to your liking or a sound you are after or just to fit it in a mix the way you want it too and the control knobs don’t work the same as the axe fx does.

If you have some amps that you wanna clone and your good at mic’ing cabs then the kemper would win

But if you wanna create a tone that your thinking of or want then the axe wins

I own 2 amps a mark v 25 and a Marshall silver jubilee but I suck at mic’ing cabs I mean absolutely terrible lol

That’s the reason I’ve been after modelers for ages it’s just too easy to turn on and go

And another thing I don’t know if it’s the axe or what but the axe sounds more open??? Then the kemper less boxy??? Could be my imagination maybe it’s the way I eq no clue ?

But those are I would think my main reason for liking the axe so much

Sorry if this reply was too long lol

Back
Top Bottom