The Kemper sounds good but I hear the same compression character going on in every amp it seems? The Axe III has that sometimes, but also is more open at times - just like real amps are more varied from each other.

My 2c listening on crappy computer speakers...

Some of the examples I liked the KPA, some I liked the AxeIII. The ones that I did not like on the AxeIII as well as the KPA were really personal preference and a different IR would likely make the difference. I did not like the Kemper AC30 at all. I thought that was the weakest tone in the whole demo. I also thought the KPA Deluxe Reverb sounded very thin. Loved the Tweed Twin from both units. I'm not a Marshall guy, but the IR's used for those tones with the AxeIII sounded a bit too dark to me. The KPA JTM45 was much better than the AxeIII.

Were all of the AxeIII examples using the factory presets? Some of those presets use legacy IR's and not the new IRs.

Edit: @camilovelandiamusic I posted my comments before I read your comments in post 13. I see what you did to "make it fair" but I don't think that was the best way to approach this. I would have preferred for you to present each unit in it's best light. I would be interested in this same comparison with you choosing the IR's that you think make the AxeIII sound its best compared to your favorite KPA profiles.

Last edited:
Fun video as all of yours are. Great playing too. It's sort of an apples and oranges thing though really. I agree with you in that you can get in the general ballpark but not close enough to realistically compare them in the way you did with your II, III and AX8 video. So many factors. The Kemper is it's own thing and absolutely worthy of its place. Not better, not worse. I have one and it'll be living right next to the III. There are some profiles that just do it right out of the gate. Thanks for the video!

These clips just reinforce what I have been hearing in the other clips. There is something about the new modeling that relaxes the midrange in a way that I just can’t figure out how to do with EQ in my AF2 and it sounds so much more natural, the tone is able to breathe a little more now. In almost every instance the AF3 sounded not just better to me but much better.

One clear difference I hear is in the top end, I suspect those kemper profiles have a pretty aggressive high-cut baked in.
I think if you lowered the hi-cut frequency in the cab block of the axe they would sound very similar and it would have been easier to discern differences in their "voice" and dynamics.

So basically a handicapped III beats the best Kemper can come up with. The KPA sounded comparable on a few amps and maybe even better on one or two, but mostly more compressed with a higher noise floor (the III is crazy quiet) on the KPA. To me the III sounds extremely natural and open, y'know like an Analog Tube Amp (but way less noise!).

This is hard to explain, but I feel like I was hearing an actual guitar amp better with the III. The Kemper in no way sounds bad. I enjoyed it when I owned one. (I cannot wait to get a III someday!)

Clearly, it's difficult to accurately compare the two, but nice job.

I see what you did to "make it fair" but I don't think that was the best way to approach this. I would have preferred for you to present each unit in it's best light. I would be interested in this same comparison with you choosing the IR's that you think make the AxeIII sound its best compared to your favorite KPA profiles.

I agree.

I have used both Axe FX II and Kemper and am currently using the Kemper. But in all honesty, both are valid tools that can get you anywhere you want. I have a Pink Floyd tribute band and the other guitar player is currently using an Axe FX II. We both have tones that are extremelly hard to beat with real amps on stage.

Checkout this vídeo where you can hear both:

Ps. Comfotably Numb is Kemper and Pigs is Axe FX.

Same story every time, why people cant understand that single tracks comparison is "shitty" same way can compare single track from even ampsim with same IR and result will be also very similiar. For example my old comparison here:

You need to understand how Important is a cab part in whole signal chain!

Compared here one amp on 10 cabs:
http://www.sinmix.pl/2017/04/24/1amp-peavey-5150-mk1-10-cabs/

Also 10 amps with one cab:
http://www.sinmix.pl/2017/04/21/10-amps-and-one-cab-comparison/

Also as a Kemper owner from few years iv made many comparisons between FX II and Kemper + Real Amp. SO now we have some starting point how sounds real amp and how close can sounds Kemper profile or Axe preset:

Mark IV
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/16/mark-iv-real-amp-axe-preset-kemper-profile/
Slo100
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/16/soldano-slo100-clone-amp-axe-preset-kemper-profile/
Engl Savage
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/14/engl-savage-120-kt88-real-axe-preset-kemper-profile/
JCM800
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/13/jcm800-2203kk-axe-fx-ii-britt800-marshall-1960av-4-speakers/
Mesa DR Rev.F
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/09/mesa-dr-rev-f-1992-axe-fx-ii-xl-preset-kemper-profile/
Peavey 5150
http://www.sinmix.pl/2018/02/07/peavey-5150ii-evh212-g12h-real-amp-axe-fx-ii-kemper/

From my test You can say also 6262 sounds like 5150 - but really?

Another important thing in digital world its all about higain tone, not clean not crunch lowgain etc... WIth same cab part its easy to set everything sounding very close You dont need FX III. Problem was always the same - higain guitars!

And You guys here excited comparison with lowgain sounds one guitar tracks and what sounds better? Just my 2 cents. Peace and Love!

Stay Metal!

My beef with the Kemper is that despite its name and the controls you are provided, it does not work like an amp at all. At least not the actual in the profile. I get it, they made the process simple to capture a snapshot of the amp. But since a profile is just a snapshot, you do not have a simulation of the amp at all. If you vary the BMT, volume, gain, etc, more than say a few clock ticks in any direction, it stops sounding like the amp. Maybe that’s cool for creating new sounds, but it ain’t amp simulation. So you end up with an unwieldy profiles you have to audition and manage.

If I happened to own some magical amp that I wanted to preserve but still have that sound when I gig, I’d get one again. But I don’t have such an amp.

My beef with the Kemper is that despite its name and the controls you are provided, it does not work like an amp at all. At least not the actual in the profile. I get it, they made the process simple to capture a snapshot of the amp. But since a profile is just a snapshot, you do not have a simulation of the amp at all. If you vary the BMT, volume, gain, etc, more than say a few clock ticks in any direction, it stops sounding like the amp. Maybe that’s cool for creating new sounds, but it ain’t amp simulation. So you end up with an unwieldy profiles you have to audition and manage.

If I happened to own some magical amp that I wanted to preserve but still have that sound when I gig, I’d get one again. But I don’t have such an amp.
Yes, I learned that lesson early in Kemper ownership, don't touch the knobs if you find a profile you like...As many users, as illustrated here, who have settled on MBritt stuff as the gold standard for that format , he really has done all the work for you (except for the unwieldy preset management)
, which can be antithetical to inveterate tweekers, but there are some beauties to be had. What has sorta surprised me is the use of the Kemper by a couple iconic artists who have a very unique signature sound live , to great effect when I saw them in the past couple years (Pat Metheny and Steve Winwood)

I would be interested in seeing the tone match of it as M suggested .just to see what freqs they are actually pushing and cutting.
their Marshall models basically sound all the same to me so their is a Character there or a specific Eq profile IMO

on the vid with headphones to me the Kemper tone sounds more compressed and slightly thiner sounding distortion where AXE3 has clearer tone with much more tone and/ or headroom, I don't own either units however your guitar playing helped to make the video enjoyable so thanks for sharing.

Also, as the Kemper is older tech than the axe fx iii, it's just not a fair comparison.

To me, this is a real problem. The original Kemper debuted at NAMM 2011, which was seven years ago now. Paying 'full price' for a seven year old piece of consumer electronics is unheard of. I know that the people on the Kemper forums are talking about their investments being protected, but surely, things like an editor, dual amps, the ability to sweep EQ controls during the profiling process to map them more accurately would be desirable.

I think Kemper are missing out by not introducing a KPA2. Personally, I wanted in on something new, which was at the very beginning of its life cycle, which is why when the announcement for the Axe FX III came out I signed up immediately.

In nearly every axe3 clip I’ve heard, there seems to be this subtle depth to it that was not there with the 2. Its not there with the kemper either. I’m very curious to see if this will be apparent in person. Soon!

Back
Top Bottom