Axe-Fx III vs FX8

Hi all,

Newbie here. Been playing guitar for 18 years and have used units like the G-System in the past.

Ok so I finally got sold on it after watching Billy Howerdel's rig rundown. The effects you can make on this thing are insane and I want it bad. So, I'm going Fractal for effects at the very least. I own a Diezel VH4 with a Diezel 4x12 cab that is probably not anywhere (famous last words). Sold the setup once and bought it again. Love it too much to let it go though.

However, I love tweaking with effects and making new sounds. Think A Perfect Circle. I love making really cool interesting sounds with multi layered effects such as delays, crazy modulations, big ambient reverbs, etc etc on a single patch. It helps inspire creativity for me. Here's my question:

Will the FX8 be enough power for me or will the AxeFX III be significantly better for effects only? Can I get more creative with the better processing power of the III or am I going to be just fine with the FX8? Does the III run as well as the FX8 in the 4CM with an amp that takes MIDI? These are the things I need to know and I can't seem to find any info out there on this topic.

It looks like the III is easier to edit on the fly and has more long term capability but it is also like $2000 more and then I still need to buy a MIDI controller on top of it. Although the new FC-12 looks awesome. I know if I want to do some modeling that the III is the better choice but I really want to know if the FX8 can get the job done for using effects only if I want to do a lot in the effects department in each scene. It's a big price difference so the info would be helpful.

Help? Thanks!

Sounds like you'd be happiest with the III, the FX8 can do crazy stuff to a point, but the III will interface 4cm just as good, and get you more multi-layered things going on without breaking a sweat

i think the FX8 was designed to be a quick, amazing setup for gig-necessary effects. it can do a lot in a small package and is very quiet for 4CM connections.

but if you want power and fewer limitations, the III is the way to go in the long run. the Grid format is more powerful than the more straight-forward FX8 chain for adding blocks/effects and routing things. more options = more complicated and more learning as with anything, so keep that in mind.

but it sounds like you're already wanting something like the III. it's the latest and greatest. if you can find an inexpensive Axe2, you might start with that as well - it has a similar Grid and more power like the Axe3.

If you plan on still heavily using your amps, then the FX8 is great and excels at that kind of thing. But if you want to move away from amps and just have to carry as few things as possible, the Axe Fx III would be great.

I thought the only thing the FX8 would be better for is the automatic true bypass. Other than that the III is the same for 4cm if not better. What else are you thinking the FX8 would be better at for interfacing with an amp?

I started my fractal journey with the fx8. It's great but if you want to get into more involved fx routing, the lack of grid function is a big bummer. If you go with the 3 you could also start experimenting with replacing your amp. In summary, if you can afford it and willing to deal with having an extra piece of gear for foot controller I'd go with the 3. You may end up liking the amp sims more than the tube amp so it may actually save you money and simplify your rig down the road.

Also the fx in the 3, the reverbs in particular, are higher quality than the fx8. There is a depth and lushness that only the 3 owns. I'm kind of a 3 fanboy at the moment though so may be biased.

Last edited:
Also the fx in the 3, the reverbs in particular, are higher quality than the fx8. There is a depth and lushness that only the 3 owns. I'm kind of a 3 fanboy at the moment though so may be biased.

1000% agreement from way over here.

The delays and reverbs (and related fx like chorus and flange) are spectacular. I’m so addicted to the plex delays, stereo tape delays and the reverbs (which don’t muddy up anything). Just superior time-based fx modeling and implementation in the III.

No more envy for Lexicon, TC and Eventide. GAS is long gone w/ the III. Lots of respect though for folks who are clever in merging these blocks into great patches.

Routing on the III is very good and just gets better. There are some wicked smart folks here that are always willing to help a brother out to achieve your goals.

My first Fractal rig was a Les Paul Custom or JEM-7VWH into an FX-8 running 4CM into a Mesa Boogie JP-2C. For recording I would use the rig into a Suhr Reactive Load and out to an Apollo Twin then into Pro Tools.

My rig now is the Axe FX III, which I have also connected via 4CM into the JP-2C which gives me unequaled versatility. I can run my rig through the JP-2C using only the effects from the III, blend my tube amp with a modeled amp using the reactive load back into the III, or use my live amp and the reactive load for the effects and hosting the IRs . The III also acts as a recording interface, meaning I can bypass the Apollo Twin and run straight into my DAW via USB both wet and dry. I can then take the dry signal and reamp however I want.
My point is this, the FX-8 is amazing and transparent and it does it's one thing very well, the Axe-FX III does everything. I have yet to find something I wanted to experiment with that I couldn't figure out a way to do with the III. It's money you'll never regret spending.

By the way just a heads up to everyone, I ended up getting the III and it arrives on Friday!

I'm nervous since I just sold $3k worth of my pedalboard to afford it, the 3 year warranty, and the EV-2, but I am banking on it sounding as good as everyone has said. So, if I can cop those Strymon, Eventide, Neunaber, Boss, Dunlop, and EHX sounds, then I'll be a happy camper. I will try to be patient when learning how it works.

The good new is that the III is really easy to get up and running on. You can learn the basics in a matter of moments. It's far and away the easiest effects unit I've ever worked with. This will be especially true if you us the Axe Editor on your computer. As for the sounds, the best way I would describe them is transparent. I had Strymon, Boss and Dunlop units in the past, I feel they have more of their own character initially, but the III will allow you to tweak things to approximate them.

Ok fellas.

I've had the III for a week and I have some praise for it and some concerns. I just dropped $3k on this with the EV-2 and the 3 year extended warranty.

Good news: I am incredibly impressed with the effects in this unit. They sound amazing and ability to tweak is pretty cool. It's very inspiring.

Bad news: I am not at all impressed with the amp tones. At all. I previously owned a Kemper and own a Diezel VH4 and it does not sound anywhere near where I want it to. I tweaked and they Fractal amps are just not doing it for me. I am debating returning it, buying the FX8 to run with my VH4 in 4CM primarily and run with a Kemper for when I want to play with other amps.

On top of the $3k, I'd have to buy the FC-12 when it comes out and there's another $700 + shipping. That's $3650 whereas with the FX8 and the Kemper I can get it all for $2300 used. I can save $1400 just by getting the FX8 MKII used and the Kemper rack.

My question is (the dealbreaker): is there a huge difference in effects quality between the III and the FX8? This is the deciding factor for me. My goal is to have high quality effects and if the FX8 doesn't cut it compared to the III then I may just suck it up and stick with the III. Delays, Modulation, Reverbs, etc.

Thank you!

Ok fellas.

I've had the III for a week and I have some praise for it and some concerns. I just dropped $3k on this with the EV-2 and the 3 year extended warranty.

Good news: I am incredibly impressed with the effects in this unit. They sound amazing and ability to tweak is pretty cool. It's very inspiring.

Bad news: I am not at all impressed with the amp tones. At all. I previously owned a Kemper and own a Diezel VH4 and it does not sound anywhere near where I want it to. I tweaked and they Fractal amps are just not doing it for me. I am debating returning it, buying the FX8 to run with my VH4 in 4CM primarily and run with a Kemper for when I want to play with other amps.

On top of the $3k, I'd have to buy the FC-12 when it comes out and there's another $700 + shipping. That's $3650 whereas with the FX8 and the Kemper I can get it all for $2300 used. I can save $1400 just by getting the FX8 MKII used and the Kemper rack.

My question is (the dealbreaker): is there a huge difference in effects quality between the III and the FX8? This is the deciding factor for me. My goal is to have high quality effects and if the FX8 doesn't cut it compared to the III then I may just suck it up and stick with the III. Delays, Modulation, Reverbs, etc.

Thank you!
One thing you might try is running the reverbs in normal quality vs. high in the III. If you find those satisfactory, you may be good with the AX8. Otherwise, someone who actually owns both would have to chime in.

Would you mind posting what your setup is with the III? Your reactions to the amp tones is fairly uncommon, so I wonder if there is something in your particular setup that might need to be compensated for. If you still have time before you have to return it, I would exhaust all efforts there beforehand.

Ok fellas.

I have the Axe-FX III and the AX8 side by side (I use the AX8 for gigs and the Axe-FX III at home). The reverbs and all effects at the FX8 are the same of the AX8, and I can tell you that they are not better than the Axe-FX III. Some are the same, and others are more juicy at the III.

If your dealbreaker is the reverb, and you are already happy with the Kemper amp tones, maybe what you should buy is just a high quality reverb unit, like Eventide Space, Strymon Big Sky, etc. Or the Eventide H9 Max if you want something more than reverbs.

Anyway, as Haffner1 has said, it is strange that the Axe-FX amp tones do not satisfy you. It would help if you share your setup (monitors) and your presets.

Last edited:
It would help if you share your setup (monitors) and your presets.

This is a very important part of the equation here. In any case, I wouldn't make the decision to get rid of the AxeIII too quickly.
There are some great presets to be had (some free & others at a reasonable cost) from people that really know what they're doing when it comes to Amp tone matching so I'd advise you to thoroughly check out all possibilities before making a jump.

But as stated, what you are using to monitor the Axe outputs makes a huge difference.

OTOH, if it's a real Amp that floats your boat, nothing wrong with that ( apart from having to lug it around).

I have the Axe-FX III and the AX8 side by side (I use the AX8 for gigs and the Axe-FX III at home). The reverbs and all effects at the FX8 are the same of the AX8, and I can tell you that they are not better than the Axe-FX III. Some are the same, and others are more juicy at the III.

If your dealbreaker is the reverb, and you are already happy with the Kemper amp tones, maybe what you should buy is just a high quality reverb unit, like Eventide Space, Strymon Big Sky, etc. Or the Eventide H9 Max if you want something more than reverbs.

Anyway, as Haffner1 has said, it is strange that the Axe-FX amp tones do not satisfy you. It would help if you share your setup (monitors) and your presets.

This was worded in a confusing way... Are you saying the FX8 effects are not better but just as good as the III? Some on the FX8 are better than the III or some on the III are better than the FX8? I'm just trying to clarify. If the FX8 is just as good effects-wise, then I'll probably just get the FX8. I'm not just interested in reverb. I'm interested in all the effects in comparison to the III.

Right now I tried two different headphones. A Sennheiser HD650 and a Brainwavz HM9. I loved the sound of the amp tones I got with the Kemper (they way it sounded realistic and it reacted like an amp when I played) through those headphones but with the III it sounds like thin tinny crap in comparison and doesn't at all react like the Kemper or my VH4. If that's modeling, then I might just tap out.

This was worded in a confusing way... Are you saying the FX8 effects are not better but just as good as the III? Some on the FX8 are better than the III or some on the III are better than the FX8? I'm just trying to clarify. If the FX8 is just as good effects-wise, then I'll probably just get the FX8. I'm not just interested in reverb. I'm interested in all the effects in comparison to the III.

Right now I tried two different headphones. A Sennheiser HD650 and a Brainwavz HM9. I loved the sound of the amp tones I got with the Kemper (they way it sounded realistic and it reacted like an amp when I played) through those headphones but with the III it sounds like thin tinny crap in comparison and doesn't at all react like the Kemper or my VH4. If that's modeling, then I might just tap out.

What IR are you using in the cab block? To be honest, I associate “thin and tinny” with an amp model run without an IR, but I could see getting less than desirable results by using a high gain model and the default Pignose 1x4 IR, for example.

Some effects on the FX8 are as as good as on the III
The III has several effects that are not available at the FX8 (e.g.: tri-chorus) and several effects with better quality than the FX8
Nothing at the FX8 is better than the III (Except the portability)

I most definitely wouldn't be making the final decision whether or not to get/keep ANY piece of equipment based on what something sounds like through headphones alone, no matter which headphones comparing to what other piece of gear.

Do yourself a favor and plug into FRFR monitors, even if you have to go to a music shop to try. If you make a decision without doing this I believe you'll be making a mistake.

Passing judgement on modelling per se, without putting it through its designed complete signal chain is just naive. Comparing things through headphones is not going to give the full experience be it a Kemper, Axe or any other modeler.

I will try to be patient when learning how it works.

My advice, try harder :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom