Axe Fx III vs FM9 Output levels

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Do others that have both the Axe Fx III and the FM9 notice a large discrepancy in volume between them with all settings identical and using the same preset?

I recently bought a pair of EV PXM 12MP monitors. They have 2 XLR inputs on each.

I connected both the Axe Fx III (Output 2) and FM9 (Output 1) to both speakers. All inputs set to the 0 detent on the speakers.

I exported my main preset from the FM9 and imported into the Axe Fx.

Both devices have the respective Output Level set to -10dB.

Axe Fx has Output 2 set to Copy Output 1 (but I also tried changing the Output block to Output 2 as well).

I found the Axe Fx was much louder. I set the Output 2 knob at about 30% based on the ADC page in the Utilities menu vs 43% on the FM9 for Output 1.

I'm on FW19.04 on the Axe Fx and FW2.00beta on FM9.

All things being equal, I expected the levels to be much closer.

No complaints, just curious ;)

From what I understand, that is the expected behavior. I believe that this has also been noticed with the Axe-FX III and FM3. The hardware is different.

Are there +4/-10 level settings on either or both? Maybe the FM3 is permanently wired -10. I don't remember for sure if the III has a setting for that or not and I'm not at my unit, but I'd expect it to default to +4, as a 100% pro-oriented unit.

I noticed last week when I used my AX3 (I had been using FM9) same preset same settings, the input on the board was clipping so I had to turn down the AX3 from 12:00 to around 10:30 or 11 o’clock to get it to stop clipping. There’s a difference here.

Tested:

• III and FM9: Output 1 at -10 dB.
  • OUT1 knobs cranked.
  • Downstream settings/levels identical.
  • Preset: [IN1] - [OUT1]

Result: exactly the same level.

Tested:

• III and FM9: Output 1 at -10 dB.
  • OUT1 knobs cranked.
  • Downstream settings/levels identical.
  • Preset: [IN1] - [OUT1]

Result: exactly the same level.
Thanks for testing.

I will swap around my patch panel on the Axe Fx so I can compare Output 1 on both, since I was using Output 2 on the Axe Fx. Although I don't think Output 2 is different from Output 1.

I will also test with a simpler preset like your test case as it's possible some difference in the firmware is causing some block(s) to be different output levels.

I found my FM9 to be a lower output as well at rehearsals compared to when I brought my III the week before.

I have noticed the FM9 SPDIF output is very hot, and requires about a 14dB pad on the FX3's SPDIF in setting to get the levels on the two units' output meters to more or less agree, with just an untouched input and output block on the FX3 (so, no gain or level shiftin going on there)....

Are there +4/-10 level settings on either or both? Maybe the FM3 is permanently wired -10. I don't remember for sure if the III has a setting for that or not and I'm not at my unit, but I'd expect it to default to +4, as a 100% pro-oriented unit.
FM3 can be set either to +4 or -10

When using output 1 on both units, I have found that my AX3 is louder than my FM9 when using the same preset. Nothing that a slight decrease of the output knob won’t fix so not a major issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom