AFIII Axe-Fx III vs AX8

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Just seen this video on youtube..

Is the tone really all this different between the two at this point? Or is it user error (different IRs, different settings, etc.)?
I'm shocked, it sounds like comparing a 128kbps mp3 to a 96/24 flac recording :eek:

PS: ok, I translated the video description and he says he just converted his ax8 presets with fractool..

Last edited:
I don't have an AX8 (I have an XL and a 3), but I think part of it would also be down to the firmware differences between the Axe-FX3 and AX8. I remember a couple of FW releases ago the Axe-FX3 just went to a new level, and the AX8 is still on a much older FW.

I don't have an AX8 (I have an XL and a 3), but I think part of it would also be down to the firmware differences between the Axe-FX3 and AX8. I remember a couple of FW releases ago the Axe-FX3 just went to a new level, and the AX8 is still on a much older FW.
Yep, but despite the different fw the difference is still quite impressive.
I'd be curious to hear a similar comparison with the axe fx 2 since it received a partial ares update.

Yep, but despite the different fw the difference is still quite impressive.
Aye, I can definitely hear a big difference, there is so much more detailed the bottom end on the Axe3, and something else is making those amps sound so good! Although I think if you weren't comparing them side-by-side then the AX8 would be great on its own.

I'd be curious to hear a similar comparison with the axe fx 2 since it received a partial ares update.
I agree! If I had the time/chops then I would do it, but my XL is boxed up and I'm getting ready to sell it now.

I did a comparison of the HBE model Ax8 vs III. IMO the biggest difference is in the third round when I kick on the drive. You're hearing both through the Headrush. If there are any other models you want to hear, or if you'd rather hear direct than a room mic let me know and I'll set it up.

I did a comparison of the HBE model Ax8 vs III. IMO the biggest difference is in the third round when I kick on the drive. You're hearing both through the Headrush. If there are any other models you want to hear, or if you'd rather hear direct than a room mic let me know and I'll set it up.

Already saw your video a few weeks ago (I'm the one who first commented it on YouTube ;) )

Thank you for the offer but at this point I'm going to do the comparison by myself next week.
Today I saw the video in the OP, a few minutes later a nice deal appeared on reverb.com.. that was a fatal combination, I pulled the trigger for the axe III :cool:

When I first got the III in March of 2018 there didn’t seem to be a huge difference to my ears so I kept gigging my AX8. Now, I’m only gigging my III. There’s a big difference now. Don’t get me wrong I still love my AX8. It sounds fantastic. But my III sounds even better.

Just seen this video on youtube..

Is the tone really all this different between the two at this point? Or is it user error (different IRs, different settings, etc.)?
I'm shocked, it sounds like comparing a 128kbps mp3 to a 96/24 flac recording :eek:

PS: ok, I translated the video description and he says he just converted his ax8 presets with fractool..

Im shocked too !! :Not only do they sound massively different, its like they are different presets / different settings / different IR's. Ive had my Axe 3 since FW 1 through to current 5.05 ........ the changes to firmware are as much feel related as anything else ... but putting that aside, I do no think the Axe 3 FW progression is the reason here .... my bet is that something has gone big-time-whack with the Fractool conversions.

Ben

Already saw your video a few weeks ago (I'm the one who first commented it on YouTube ;) )

Thank you for the offer but at this point I'm going to do the comparison by myself next week.
Today I saw the video in the OP, a few minutes later a nice deal appeared on reverb.com.. that was a fatal combination, I pulled the trigger for the axe III :cool:

Awesome, congrats!

Im shocked too !! :Not only do they sound massively different, its like they are different presets / different settings / different IR's. Ive had my Axe 3 since FW 1 through to current 5.05 ........ the changes to firmware are as much feel related as anything else ... but putting that aside, I do no think the Axe 3 FW progression is the reason here .... my bet is that something has gone big-time-whack with the Fractool conversions.

Ben
Ax8 firmware sounds quite different from III with identical parameters
FracTool converts keeping same parameters values, so it sounds different

Converting from ax8 to III firmware 1/2 would produce more close results

I have both, admittedly haven't converted any presets from AX8 to the III, but they do not sound as different as the video would have you believe. There is a difference between them but it's more in the feel and "quality" of the tones, not distinctly different tones using the same amp. My guess is the same as AlGrenadine pointed out, the same settings from the AX8 to the III could cause the difference we're hearing.

I have both, admittedly haven't converted any presets from AX8 to the III, but they do not sound as different as the video would have you believe. There is a difference between them but it's more in the feel and "quality" of the tones, not distinctly different tones using the same amp. My guess is the same as AlGrenadine pointed out, the same settings from the AX8 to the III could cause the difference we're hearing.

The reason I think there is something else going on as well as " same setting for same setting = different sound " ..... is that the differences are not just "shades of greÿ" ......... they arent even in the ballpark of being the same amps ?!?!?!?!? ....... they literally sound like [at least] different Cabs are being pulled up in the conversion process.

eg:- listen to

0:47 <-> 1:03
1:47 <-> 2:05

These dont even sound like the same Amp+Cab combo !?!?!?

Ben

Last edited:
Sadly I probably won't be able to do a direct comparison by myself to verify this, ax8 sold and ready to be shipped tomorrow.
If I'll have a bit of time today I'll try to record a few tracks with the ax8 (DI and processed) and then reamp them when I receive the axe 3.

The reason I think there is something else going on as well as " same setting for same setting = different sound " ..... is that the differences are not just "shades of greÿ" ......... they arent even in the ballpark of being the same amps ?!?!?!?!? ....... they literally sound like [at least] different Cabs are being pulled up in the conversion process.

eg:- listen to

0:47 <-> 1:03
1:47 <-> 2:05

These dont even sound like the same Amp+Cab combo !?!?!?

Ben

I think there is something going on with conversion too. When I create a preset from scratch using the same IR and just adjust gain and BMT settings, the Ax8 and III sound pretty similar.

Back
Top Bottom