Axe-Fx III vs AX8

Late to the table, but as I have owned and gigged both I thought I’d share my experience. The good thing is you can’t miss here, there is no bad choice.

The AX8 is awesome, incredibly portable, great control options. Size is everything here, and it’s the best thing in this footprint. Even after gigging it on smaller events, I realized it could be used on any size stage without being overtaxed.

All that said, I found myself more and more leaning to the III as capabilites requiring more foot control became available. I opted for the RJM MMGT/22 footcontroller and have had no cause to look back. Everything I need on one controller page, plenty of pages left for more rarely used functions like the looper, etc. The MMGT is the perfect match to the III ‘s horsepower and brought so much of the III’s possibilities into easy reach that I found myself feeling cramped and scaled down when returning to the AX8.

In the end, I traded the AX8 for a nice guitar and only use the III now. Home or gigging, it is never too big, too small, or lacking anything I need.

Back
Top Bottom